The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-11-2016 07:57 AM
78 1234
tools
    and what are you doing with the 950xl?
    using it here and there for Continuum and thats baout it. I will probably through the sim back in the phone in a few months when (if) i get tired with the 650
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    09-10-2016 09:09 AM
    What he ^^^ said, what's wrong w your 950XL?
    Nothing i just prefer the 650 over the 950 for a lot of reasons.
    09-10-2016 09:09 AM
    Ok...

1) Didn't know it was 150 on amazon. Thanks for that!
    2) Why do you prefer the 650 over your 950(xl)? I don't understand...
    Yep i think it was like 153 with no tax. Just go to Amazon and search Lumia 650 and it will be one of the first 5 results. Black is cheapier around 149.

I prefer the 650 over the 950 for these reasons...
    • It is the only lumia to have a white front facing screen. Which i think looks sexy as hell like and i phone.
    • It has aluminum trim to make it feel more premium with chamfered edges.
    • It is much thinner and lighter than the 950 xl is and i think it is the lightest lumia ever produced at 122g. I don't even know of any Android phone that is that light.
    • It is nicer and easier to hold in the hand the 950 XL. Even though i like the screen size on the XL holding and using the device is akward but with this 650 for some reason its very easy and i can reach all parts of the screen something i couldnt do even with the 929.
    • And lastly for some reason it has great battery life even with that small 2000mah batter. Probably due to the 720P display but you would never know it with the OLED technology, and it looks a milion times better than my 822. 1440P is nice but it is hardly noticably different than the 650s 720P screen. I found the battery life to be much better on the 650 compared to my XL.

Thats all i can think of for now.
    09-10-2016 09:15 AM
    Without pictures of the scratches, I'm not going to believe the claim that a shirt pocket left deep scratches in the glass. That's just illogical, and given you'd already said you dropped the thing, it doesn't seem like I'm going to buy that claim.

Also, if you're going to knock the build quality of the HP, then I think it's fair to note the creaking chassis of the Lumia 950 family, it's horrendous. The buttons on them aren't very good, and the placement on the XL can also be a bit odd. Overall, my 950's build quality is probably a 4/10, maybe worse, and the XL isn't majorly different, beyond the buttons placement, so IDK how you could sell its build quality as anything better.
    09-10-2016 04:14 PM
    Without pictures of the scratches, I'm not going to believe the claim that a shirt pocket left deep scratches in the glass. That's just illogical, and given you'd already said you dropped the thing, it doesn't seem like I'm going to buy that claim.

Also, if you're going to knock the build quality of the HP, then I think it's fair to note the creaking chassis of the Lumia 950 family, it's horrendous. The buttons on them aren't very good, and the placement on the XL can also be a bit odd. Overall, my 950's build quality is probably a 4/10, maybe worse, and the XL isn't majorly different, beyond the buttons placement, so IDK how you could sell its build quality as anything better.
    In all fairness it is quite easy to stop the creaky back on the 950. I took an old Lumia back cover and peeled off the spongy sticker thing that helps keep the battery in place and strategically cut it and placed it near the bottom of the cover where the creaky comes. Done, problem solved and now couldn't be happier with the 950 build quality. I had to ruin an old cover but saved me a ton of mental anguish.
    Last edited by Player Piano; 09-11-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    Danobe, aximtreo and Chintan Gohel like this.
    09-10-2016 04:28 PM
    LOL, as if Apple's quality is particular good. People just convince themselves that it is, regardless of plugs becoming loose, batteries becoming "pregnant" (i.e. bulging), and so on.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you actually using your computer and phone for work, but rather as fashion accessories. You ditch your Surface for a MacBook.
    To me, it sounds like you were looking for an excuse to move on to another fashion accessory. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't get why anyone would buy the X3 and expect a camera as good as the 950/XL, when it's obvious it won't be. And now you're moving on to an iPhone 7 because the X3 didn't meet your requirements - something you could have seen by perusing the spec sheet.

I guess you will be happy in Apple-land and find all sorts of excuses for their product's shortcomings. No minijack? "Nah, it's okay, you can buy an adaptor for your headphones". 12MP camera? "Nah, it's better than the Lumia". low resolution? "You don't need resolution on your phone" and so on.

But a product from a third party manufacturer where the speaker grill has a sharp corner? "Let's drop the entire OS and ecosystem, and while I'm at it, I will buy into Apple's ecosystem and buy one of their laptops aimed squarely at consumers of media".
    Sounds like a plan. As if you hadn't bought into the myth of Apple ownership already and had made your mind up.
    09-10-2016 05:04 PM
    Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. However, nothing in your feedback will keep me from buying the device. Your feedback seems focused on the boxes and location of the cables. The device description describes every single device released in the last few years. many of us have not lost sight of the listed scope of this device. I have a 950xl, an iPhone 6s Plus, and a Galaxy 6 Edge. I'm keenly aware of the differences between devices and the individual nuances of each.

l look forward to receiving this device, hopefully this week. I even look forward to the box.

PS
    09-11-2016 04:23 PM
    How did continuum perform?
    09-12-2016 04:18 AM
    3 paragraphs ;) I know I spent too long on the boxing, but in reality, it IS the first thing we look at and open in our excitement for the device itself. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover... but in reality most do, hence the proverb!
    I absolutely agree with this, packaging and presentation is everything when it comes to technology.

The "user experience" starts with the unboxing. Apple nail this part of thier overall marketing strategy. Unboxing an Apple device is incredibly exciting.....and I say this as someone who has no interest in Apple products at all.

Why HP would ignore something as reasonably straightforward as good packaging? That's just laziness on their part.

They need this sort of feedback.
    Chintan Gohel and libra89 like this.
    09-12-2016 04:30 AM
    Thanks for your review but I'm still planning on replacing my 950 XL with this HP Elite this fall.
    09-12-2016 06:48 AM
    I absolutely agree with this, packaging and presentation is everything when it comes to technology.

The "user experience" starts with the unboxing. Apple nail this part of thier overall marketing strategy. Unboxing an Apple device is incredibly exciting.....and I say this as someone who has no interest in Apple products at all.

Why HP would ignore something as reasonably straightforward as good packaging? That's just laziness on their part.

They need this sort of feedback.
    have you seen the packaging for their laptops? It's nothing to be excited about. If packaging and presentation wow you more than the actual device, then I don't know what to say
    09-12-2016 07:58 AM
    The only thing about the packaging that I worry about is whether or not the device I have was protected well during transport. That's it.

Some people, though, save their packaging, watch unboxing videos, and even have their packaging on their shelves. It's ridiculous.

If I go to a supermarket and buy food, of course packaging plays a part to "entice" me. Be it bright colours, "eco" colours or whatever. Of course, they're playing a psychology game there, and it works. But on tech? Seriously, the moment the tech is set up and I can see it working, the boxes are thrown out (because it's easier to return in its original packaging if it's a lemon).
    09-12-2016 08:39 AM
    have you seen the packaging for their laptops? It's nothing to be excited about. If packaging and presentation wow you more than the actual device, then I don't know what to say
    Will have to agree to disagree with you on this. There's a reason why company's like BMW, Mercedes and Tesla put so much thought into designing their showrooms.

It's for the same reason that Breitling, Tag Hauer and Rolex sweat over their packaging.

It's for the same reason that Apple spend millions of Dollars and many months planning their packaging (Branding in Packaging: Lessons from Apple's Master Marketers)

Packaging is a huge part of branding and sends a very, very clear marketing message.

Product satisfaction starts from the very second that the customer picks up the box.

This is branding 101. And actually, it's one of the easier parts of the customer experience to get right. HP will be aware of this.

To sell an expensive device and then wrap it in something cheap and tacky is a waste of a good branding opportunity
    09-12-2016 09:15 AM
    Speaking of WebOs and headphone jacks (or the lack there of), I had forgotten that the Palm Pixi didn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack until Derrick Kessler mentioned it on Twitter yesterday.
    I'm not sure why Derrick would say that. I'm looking at a Palm Pixi now and it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Even plugged in a pair of headphones to make sure it actually is 3.5mm.

-Skippy
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-12-2016 09:40 AM
    I'm not sure why Derrick would say that. I'm looking at a Palm Pixi now and it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Even plugged in a pair of headphones to make sure it actually is 3.5mm.

-Skippy
    Ah, I got it wrong, it was the Veer that he posted a picture of... it had a proprietary magnetic connector for charging and audio.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-12-2016 09:56 AM
    Ah, I got it wrong, it was the Veer that he posted a picture of... it had a proprietary magnetic connector for charging and audio.
    Yep, and the webOS Nation forum was filled with users looking for replacements for their lost mag>3.5mm dongle.

Over at iMore, worried users are being told they will never loose their lightning>3.5mm dongle so just relax. It can't happen.

doubletake.jpg
    libra89 and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    09-12-2016 11:59 AM
    I did say that I think the 950 XL is a great device over the X3 and the better buy at this point :)
    Interesting to read this.

Having missed my 950XL for the past few weeks while it was repaired, I again tried my Galaxy S6. Within a few hours, I switched over to the One M8 (running build 10586, since they will no longer update that), and realized how much I dislike the newer Android UI.

After your review, I think I'm about 90% sure I'm cancelling my order for the X3. I had very high hopes for this device but right now, the only drawback i see on the 950XL (running build 14915) is the crappy speaker. Really, the only thing I wanted to see on the X3 was the possibility of running Continuum and X86 apps in the HP workspace.

Oh, and I recently bought my wife a Lumia 650 to replace her aging Samsung GS3. So far, she's had zero issues.

As for continuum, you can see below that I'm able to remote into my Surface Pro using continuum on my 950XL, and launch Visual Studio.

continuum_tv_remote_work.jpg
    Last edited by PerfectReign; 09-12-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
    Jackalito likes this.
    09-12-2016 02:52 PM
    In all fairness it is quite easy to stop the creaky back on the 950. I took an old Lumia back cover and peeled off the spongy sticker thing that helps keep the battery in place and strategically cut it and placed it near the bottom of the cover where the creaky comes. Done, problem solved and now couldn't be happier with the 950 build quality. I had to ruin an old cover but saved me a ton of mental anguish.
    Well, let me just go buy an old Lumia right quick, or dismantle my 920, or...no, how about Microsoft doesn't use crap design and materials on the $550 phone I had to pay $600 for, since I wanted it on AT&T?
    09-12-2016 07:30 PM
    Well, let me just go buy an old Lumia right quick, or dismantle my 920, or...no, how about Microsoft doesn't use crap design and materials on the $550 phone I had to pay $600 for, since I wanted it on AT&T?
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I wasn't happy with the poor build of the 950 and how creaky and cheap the back cover is. It annoyed the hell out of me especially after buying the phone at launch with basically a beta OS. Instead of being constantly annoyed I solved the problem myself and now I am much happier with my investment. You can ***** and moan all you need to, but that is not going to change anything at this point.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-13-2016 01:13 PM
    I know it sounds silly, but...

I just got one of these today, despite the above. The box is ENORMOUS. Stupidly so. Only 3 paragraphs? Doesn't do the box justice. I bought a Spectre for my son. A tablet. The box was less than half the size!

All of the comments above are fair. I'll add a few more:
    • Haptic feedback you can't turn off? Are you kidding me?Is this 2008?
    • Very lack luster performance, given specs.
    • Windows 10 Mobile (I know it's about the device) is, well, lame...on this device.

I'm both a Windows 10 fan, and buy millions of dollars worth of HP kit for work...because I choose HP. But this device has convinced me to give up the fight and buy an iPhone 7+. Why? Why? I've tried Soooo hard!
    09-16-2016 08:03 PM
    I know it sounds silly, but...

I just got one of these today, despite the above. The box is ENORMOUS. Stupidly so. Only 3 paragraphs? Doesn't do the box justice. I bought a Spectre for my son. A tablet. The box was less than half the size!

All of the comments above are fair. I'll add a few more:
    • Haptic feedback you can't turn off? Are you kidding me?Is this 2008?
    • Very lack luster performance, given specs.
    • Windows 10 Mobile (I know it's about the device) is, well, lame...on this device.

I'm both a Windows 10 fan, and buy millions of dollars worth of HP kit for work...because I choose HP. But this device has convinced me to give up the fight and buy an iPhone 7+. Why? Why? I've tried Soooo hard!
    You make it sound like you gave it a full day to try it out, before you made up your mind. Why did you even bother ordering it?
    09-16-2016 09:36 PM
    You make it sound like you gave it a full day to try it out, before you made up your mind. Why did you even bother ordering it?
    Notice that that guy made this his first post? And that "this" guy also merely gave it a day,before "giving up" and "buy an iPhone"? I smell sock puppet.
    09-16-2016 09:57 PM
    I was lucky enough to check the hp site after a few more x3's were made available and get one ordered. I then read the original post and nearly cancelled my order. The packaging concerns me not other than confidence that the contents are protected during shipping. Having drifted to an iPhone 6 + when my 1520 started to show it age, I couldn't be happier to again have a top shelf Windows Phone. I was never happy or comfortable with the iphone. I LOVE the X3. The build quality and display are on par with anything ou there. I do look forward to the AU for the X3, but the release version works good enough for now.
    09-17-2016 01:34 PM
    If anyone is ready to give up on the Elite X3, hang on for a week or so. Then I'll post a detailed review of my experience. I only got it last night, but all I'm willing to say for now is: My experience has been the polar opposite of the one posted here.

Sent from mTalk
    Danobe and guinnsquirrel like this.
    09-17-2016 04:10 PM
    Notice that that guy made this his first post? And that "this" guy also merely gave it a day,before "giving up" and "buy an iPhone"? I smell sock puppet.
    Well, I only have a couple of posts and only had the phone for a few days and the X3 has made me seriously consider getting an iPhone or Android when I very much hate both.

Over the last few years I've had the Nokia 800, 1020, 1520, even recently had another 1020 since my 1520 went out of service. I also had the surface RT, then Nokia 2520 and I now have the surface pro 2, all of which I've enjoyed.

I am also very much into the Windows eco-system despite the disappointment with the lies about bringing win10 to the RT devices (which is the only reason i dropped the 2520 too).

Even so, x3 leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the AU will make it much better, and i can understand when a product is finished in terms of hardware for manufacture, you have to start producing and selling said devices before the technology is obsolete, but I fail to see how selling it with a premature AU would be any worse than what they've sold it with.

I'm also not salty the box looks like it was designed to package the lap dock with it, though it is slightly annoying that, if i were to need something repaired under warranty or sell the phone on, there is no sleek small box like the nokias that I can be certain will fully protect the phone which can be stored away almost anywhere. To me that makes me think HP didn't really think into things properly.

It also makes me think of that 700 premium, at least 100 is wasted on pointless packaging and shipping of empty ******* air which really pisses me off. At least Apple goes through the effort of polishing the crap they sell, and I don't see no gold coated air particles in my box.

But on a serious note, the size of the box would allow 10x + more items to be shipped if it was made more realistically sized, and just off the principles of their carbon footprint, should never have been allowed to be made this big.

What I can say is, that 700 in terms of support has gone a long way. Even under a "non critical" support ticket, HP rang up within an hour. Not any real solutions I must admit, it was generally "there will be an update that'll fix a lot of things but because there are no known dates for this, we're issuing Dead on arrival certificates for anyone wanting to return their phones within first 30 days".... All because the camera cant record.

The guy I had also said he will personally ring me up to tell me when the update is made available... I mean, you're not going to get that anywhere else I can tell you..
    09-17-2016 07:47 PM
78 1234