Win XP detects 8s as camera. HELP!

bigredx

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey I just picked up an HTC 8S today. Pleased with the phone overall except my WinXP computer only detects the phone as a camera. According to all the guides provided by microsoft/htc, I should be able to just use windows explorer to drag/drop files to the phone. The only thing I can do is view the folders using the "explore" option when I right-click, but I cannot paste any files or view them. I called the HTC help line, and it didn't help at all the rep actually told me to get a new phone, however before I do that I figured I would ask if anyone had any suggestions?

<<unrelated>> Did it bother anyone else this phone does not contain a dedicated address book like every other phone ever? I didn't understand why I HAD to insert ALL my hotmail contacts into my phone, then delete everyone I didn't talk to, then go into the existing ones and edit those contacts. such a hassle. <</unrelated>>

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I can suggest is make sure all your updates on XP are installed or look around on web for a XP driver for wp8. You can't drag and drop files, even on win8 file explorer. You can with the phone app, but then only media files. Only way I have been able to get docs to phone is through Skydrive.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You absolutely can drag and drop files with W8 and absolutely not only with the phone app. You use explorer and drag and drop. How can you not know this?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
You absolutely can drag and drop files with W8 and absolutely not only with the phone app. You use explorer and drag and drop. How can you not know this?

Ya, you can drag and drop all day. But, phone will not find or be able to open any documents you put there. I loaded up about 2gig of excel and pdf files only to find out phone won't open them. You have to email or Skydrive files to get phone to open. If you don't believe me, try it. Drag and drop is mass media storage only from with file formats I've tried. Its Apple in disguise. Only worse.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Conanheath, you copy doc to docs folder on your phone. Now open office, swipe to places and click on "phone."

You're welcome.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Conanheath, you copy doc to docs folder on your phone. Now open office, swipe to places and click on "phone."

You're welcome.

Appreciate the help, but you can't create folders in Docs and get phone to find them. You can dump files in docs all day and it will pull them up, but you can't put folders in there and expect phone to find files in those folders. So I have to put over 2000files in docs and search every time. Most of my files begin with job #s and I don't always know what I'm looking for. Main reason I hate Apple, No file manager. Just have to hope and pray its there and you can find it. Its easier for me to use Skydrive because it has a file manager so I can folder files. Just eats up my data plan which sucks. I'm already going Android in May so I get all the options I need.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Conanheath, you claimed that one could not drag and drop files.This is demonstrably false. Now you're saying that you can't drag and drop folders- a completely different issue. You claimed that one could "drag and drop all you like" but that one then would be unable to find those files. That too is demonstrably false- not only for office documents but also for media files. I've used explorer, not the win phone app, to load many videos onto my 920, no problem.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, you will need Windows 7 or Windows 8 to work with Windows Phone 8 devices. I'm using Windows 8 myself so have never come across this problem with my NL920. Then again I have an unlimited 3G plan and Sky Broadband Maxi (another unlimited plan), so yeah.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had two computers with winxp, one at home and other at office. My home xp (home) recognises L920 without a problem. However, my office machine which is an xp pro recognizes as camera or mtp device with driver errors. I did everything googling every site where I can fix MTP drivers fro xppro. I've installed zune, winmtp fix, overwriting the driver files from xp home to xppro and what not. Nothing worked. Apparently, xp pro has mtp driver issues that haven't been fixed.

The only thing worked is to upgrade xp to win 7. Since then I don't have any problems. My L920 works like a simple USB.

badugu

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I believe the reason why one WinXP machine recongnizes HTC Windows Phone 8, while the other does not is due to the Microsoft Windows Media Player version 11 being installed or not. The MFP drivers necessary to connect Windows Phone 8S devices are part of the Windows Media Player 11 installation package.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"Did it bother anyone else this phone does not contain a dedicated address book like every other phone ever? I didn't understand why I HAD to insert ALL my hotmail contacts into my phone, then delete everyone I didn't talk to, then go into the existing ones and edit those contacts. such a hassle."

Welcome to the modern day. You will appreciate storing contacts in a cloud the day you either get a new WP or have to replace the unit you have. No need to retype them back in. They just show up. Oh, and get rid of that XP machine man. I'm sure it still works but things have changed a whole lot from 15 years ago.

Lead Sharp

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I felt I had to join up as I've never read a collection of answers where the words 'patronising' and 'condescending' need to bear knuckle fight it out for most appropriate tone.

I have the same problem as the original poster, Windows XP (which is SP 3 and media 11 and I am not going any higher thank you) windows phone alllll updated and hunky dori.

Yesterday I could drag and drop files quite happily from one to the other, today my machine thinks the phone is a camera and I can't do a thing with it.

Now to be honest I've tried many things, all of the things on here and then some, none of them have yet to bear fruit.

But one common factor? The amount of snobbery and dickery in most of the replies. You can hear eyes rolling and people tutting when you read them.

Greg Packer

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Lead Sharp,

I have the same problem, I could drag and drop with my WinXp machine and now something has changed. Not sure who is at fault here (the phone or the computer).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720