State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC 8x battery life is horrible

Wow! That's impressive!!!!!! I don't get that at all!!!

So you didn't play with any settings at all like turn off stuff?

I get like 15hours on moderate use.

If you have any tips, please let me know!!!!

I think that the main problem would have to be the data connection, if you live in a town or place that has bad connection then the draining would be much faster. Since I use my phone a lot in roaming the battery lasts longer cause it only uses connection while on wi-fi.
However you should get even 1 day in that circumstances.
I read the Coolknight1968 guide, and disable some things, not all, but the ones that I thought I don't use and they don't do me any good.
For example, xbox sync, auto upload on skydrive. Just read that guide and disable what you think is best for you.

Yea the 8x has terrible battery life. I only got over 3days! Can you believe that? I was expecting the battery to last 2 weeks :pView attachment 27617

Yea..but you have battery saver on :D which means no notifications while in that state :p
I am curious, if someone can reach 4 days with some below average usage, like only few calls and some surfing.

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

that's only because the battery dipped below 10 percent. I had battery saver off and I got about 2 days and 20 hours

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that the main problem would have to be the data connection, if you live in a town or place that has bad connection then the draining would be much faster. Since I use my phone a lot in roaming the battery lasts longer cause it only uses connection while on wi-fi.
However you should get even 1 day in that circumstances.
I read the Coolknight1968 guide, and disable some things, not all, but the ones that I thought I don't use and they don't do me any good.
For example, xbox sync, auto upload on skydrive. Just read that guide and disable what you think is best for you.

Yea..but you have battery saver on :D which means no notifications while in that state :p
I am curious, if someone can reach 4 days with some below average usage, like only few calls and some surfing.

By the way, did you get the Portico/firmware update? Because a lot of people did say that since they got those updates, the battery has improved a lot. I didn't get it yet

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Something could be wrong with your phone, the battery life on my first 8x was awful, it would die in 1-2 hours with any use, and when idle the battery would drain fast. I really couldn't take it, I was going to sell it and just go back to iPhone, but then I browsed these forums and noticed a lot of people claiming their phones had decent battery life, so I started thinking maybe something was wrong with my phone.

Luckily my touchscreen had issues so I was able to call At&t and they swapped it out (At&t is really cool about this, just tell them your phone has an issue that can't be resolved and they will overnight you a phone). The battery life on the new 8x I received was completely different, I can now get through an entire day from the time I wake up at 7am until around 10-11pm at night with moderate use, also the battery doesn't drain quickly when the phone is idling.

I suggest you call At&t, tell them you have abnormally bad battery life and maybe mention some other issue your phone has (if you can come up with one) and they will be able to send you a new/refurbished phone.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm guessing I got the Portico update (deff some sort of update) coz ever since I've been getting much better battery use..
Nothing insane or impressive like some of the people here, but at least i can use my phone without having to think twice about it
before I was consistently getting max 12 hours with light use!
Now I get I get consistently 16 hours (and that's only coz i charge my phone every night) with moderate use, 12-14hrs before hitting under %20
:D very happy overall

Alan Rahimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Battery help needed

i have bought a windows phone 8x by htc recently and i have noticed that the battery life is quiet poor, i have turned everything off and only have 1 live tile and brightness is low hardly use it and the battery still seems to be very bad, i charged it 13 hours the first day and i would like to know how long your 8x last and if i should return it and get a new one?? please help and please tell me if i shouldn't charge it 13 hours first time?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery help needed

Give it a couple of days. First day is tough on a phone as people are heavy users and the phone is doing a lot.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Here are some things I do. I don't know if they all affect the battery life or not, but I get about two days on a charge, even in a poor reception area (which affects battery life).

1. Uninstall any apps you don't use.
2. Turn off nfc and Bluetooth if you don't use them.
3. Unsync xbox music and games if you don't use them.
4. Sync email "as items arrive." Counterintuitively, it uses less battery than checking every 30 minutes or whatever.
5. Don't use your phone too much. ;) I use it only for calls, texts, email, and internet. Obviously if you constantly play games and listen to music and watch movies you're not going to get two days on a charge.
6. Connect to wifi if you have it??? I do this, as I heard it uses less battery than getting data over a cell signal (and plus, you save data).
7. Make sure you have the Portico update (you should have gotten it automatically or had it preinstalled on the phone).

I did not change any of the screen brightness settings.

Hope this helps, and let me know everyone if you have different opinions on my advice.

Alan Rahimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

thanks for the advice but i do all of those and the battery will last me about 1 day and a bit if i dont do much on it, is this a average time or should it be about 2 days if you don't do much on it

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If you get through the day on a charge, that is pretty much normal.

I've always charged my battery every night when I'm sleeping ever since I've used smartphones (Nokia Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone). The days of not needing to charge every day went away when I stopped using feature phones. I've always needed to charge all of my smartphones every day.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

a Day sounds about right !
My 8X lasts about day ! I listen to music , check Twitter a lot & do some browsing & gaming during the day (Over both Wi-Fi & 3G), plus my university have a poor network coverage so that effects my battery !

I have 36 tiles on my lockscreen , I keep my brightness to medium & I keep both nfc & Bluetooth off (I Don't use em)

Alan Rahimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

yh i do the exact same thing you do and it last me a day and still have about 30% left if i use it a lot but i dont have as much tiles as you :L

weber1906

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

For that phone battery is really an issue and many also encounter that situation.In Finland country akkuja or batteries are also a very huge issue from mobile to ordinary batteries but some are still experiencing good one.Well maybe you need to buy an extra one for you to have a battery in case of emergency.

perseides

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

i think one cause a lot of ppl didnt realise is that if you are in an area with bad reception, your batt WILL drop very fast. My work place have bad reception and certain places will have low or totally no reception. so when i walk from a place to another, it will cause the phone to keep searching for the line. It's very obvious because compare the days when I'm at work and the days when I'm not working, the same amount of usage will have very different impact to the battery.
Is ur line connection good??

One way to solve this is to off the data connection when Im not using the internet when at work.
Hope this help. =)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Mine last a day easily on light usage. But I'll ell you what, I forgot to charge mine one night and went to a boat show the next day with only 22% battery life, so I turned on Battery Saver Until Next Charge and in 7 hours of occasional picture taking and a few Facebook picture uploads my battery only went down 4%. I thought that was incredible!

Alan Rahimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

the case of having a spare battery cant really work because it is non-removable :L and the bad reception point i have heard of before but lately i don't even turn that on because i don't really use it when I am busy but thanks for the help everyone :)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

This is how I use my phone.
everything is on. NFC off. Background tasks only HTC hub and Battery level. Brightness always at medium level.
About 6 mail boxes, 3 in push mode.
3G is off, 2G is on. Coverage for 3G is very poor here. One day and at the end about 40% still in phone. If I use it more, it could be discharged at the end.
but I always restart my phone at least ones per day. it gives about 10% back after restarting.

I just don't understand how you guyz loosing battery by the end of day even with everything turned off!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes