Invalid SIM error on 8X

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So im just curious, since the update has anyone had a SIM error or random reboot? I never took off the tape cuz it just always works. But I really am curious if an update could actually fix that cuz I figured that was a hardware issue not a software

As I said in a previous post, I took the tape off the day of the update - no errors so far. But, just taking the SIM out and putting it back in usually prevents SIM errors for a week or two till they start happening again, so we're not out of the proverbial woods just yet.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So im just curious, since the update has anyone had a SIM error or random reboot? I never took off the tape cuz it just always works. But I really am curious if an update could actually fix that cuz I figured that was a hardware issue not a software

I started getting the error and the reboots about 2 weeks ago. It was really annoying because the phone was rock solid up until then. I never tried the tape fix because I didn't see the need. I figured it was a software issue since my phone did not have the problem prior.

Anyways, I have seen the error occur maybe a total of 7 times since the latest update on 4/17/2013, but it has only had to be powered off twice to recover from it. There were two instances of multiple errors but the phone recovered from the first 4, 3 out of the 4 times within about 30 seconds, and then finally would not recognize the SIM. The last time was 2 out of 3 times and then it required a reboot. These were also in quick succession. It has not happened in the past couple of days.

There is likely something to the software fix claim, as my phone is much more apt to recover from the error, rather than throwing the error and requiring a restart, as before.

As for the random reboots. It had a strange fit for a couple of days where it would repeatedly reboot but removing a reinserting the SIM seemed to solve that over a week ago.

anon(5683524)

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
After last update I have and SIM card error, and custom reboot. Before that update no SIM error, and no reboot?s. I never had tape on SIM card.....
My phone is about 6 months old. :-(

shadyrudy

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Just applied the tape fix on my wife and my HTC 8X. No issues in the past 24 hours, but I'll report back if I get another SIM error.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I forgot about the SIM errors as its been about 3 weeks since I've seen it *knocks on wood*. Not sure what fixed this as I've not taped anything, but I did clean the SIM slot and SIM with compressed air. Why would that work? I don't know. I would imagine any dust or grime would have to be thick to cause a connect issue but whatever.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got this today, 8x with Tmobile. I was on the phone when my call dropped and I got a sim error message. I reboot it then plugged it in to my pc to charge. Minutes later I'm browsing my contacts and it decides to reboot again.

Since Tmo no longer sells the 8x I wonder if I'll be able to get a 925 instead...been wanting to feel that Nokia love for a while now.

Lucy Berry

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had problems with my windows phone 8X and this is the second time in 5 days that it's saying I have no sim in my phone. I have once already been back to the shop and they gave me a new SIM card, it was fine all day Sunday and now it's saying theres no SIM card in my phone. Could anyone help me? Or do I go back to the shop again?

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Lucy, this thread has loads of people saying how to fix this!

Either apply a few layers of tape to the back of the sim card and put it back in the phone or send it back to HTC.

Most people here have used the tape option with no problems. Sending it back to HTC will result in your phone getting wiped.

gettysburg11s

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Dude, thanks so much. I have a Lumia 900 as my backup phone, and I put a microsim adapter in it along with the nano sim from my iPhone 5, and I got nothing. As soon as I tried your idea, it worked perfectly.

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
But I noticed that the two phones that were having the issue were both using a particular case that the other 3 were not. This particular case requires that you press a little harder on the power button to wake the phone up. The power button just happens to be on the same corner as the SIM tray. I wonder if the corner of the phone is put under too much pressure because of the case. Anyone else having this problem using a case requiring you press hard on that corner of the phone? Anyone without a case having this problem?

I am aware of this so I have bought (waiting for a slow delivery from China) hard skin case to replace my lovely TPU Soft gel case. I have noticed that that the pressure is too much on the power button with this TPU cases. The Nillkin hard cases (I have same for my old ZTE Tania) have open areas for the buttons, this is not good for dust/spill protection, but lowers the pressure... Also I have preventive attached two layers of scotch on the bottom of the SIM card. My phone to date have only one restart when the phone was on table and I was in the bathroom and it have ringing and vibrating two minutes before I pickup - on pickup it restarted. The phone is a month age old, this restart happen on 3-rd day (and on fifth day I attached a scotch and no more problems).

HeavyHanded

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This morning my phone worked. Then as I left the house, I got the dreaded "No Sim" on my phone tile. Rebooted many times. Tried the tape method until I could barely close the SIM Door. Nothing. Didn't recognize the SIM. Then I put the SIM, back into my iPhone 4 and that didn't recognize the SIM either. Somehow, the 8X destroyed my the SIM. Maybe there is a short somewhere? I'll try and get my SIM replaced tomorrow. If it works in my iPhone but not in my 8X i'll call in the global warranty service.

John Ostrowski

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I was having sim card errors and my 8x randomly shutting its self off so I thought of it as a computer and took off my case and now its fixed. Its over heating so if your phones are in cases try taking them off and see if it fixes for you.

mgilb4

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Make your service provider give you a new phone.

I have had my htc 8x for a year now. The first 6 months I had it, this only happened once every other month. Slowly it started to happen more often. Then, the phone started to randomly reboot itself. Even better, sometimes it would just turn itself off -- especially useful when your phone doubles as an alarm clock. Then, I intermittingly would not be able to send text messages. Finally, my phone started having sim card errors while I was on the phone. This causes the phone call to end suddenly with no warning.

I went to verizon wireless to switch out my sim card. The result of this was that now every single text I send I has to be sent three times before it goes through.

Verizon is sending me a new phone. Save yourself the hassle.

laurent laurent

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue on my Lumia 1020.

I discovered that happend when the "tap+send" (NFC) is on.
Maybe due to an interference the phone reboots with a "sim Error" message.

I was able to replicate this problem by placing my phone on various electronic devices.

I hope that the next firmware will fix this. In the meanwhile, I don't need (NFC)

Cheers.

djstrife

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
so ridiculous...I had the phone about 10 months and it started doing the "invalid sim error" more often and shutting off by itself. I went to T-mobile and it was still under warranty. Got a replacement phone now for 2 months and now it's started doing the same thing again...at a loss of what to do!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
so ridiculous...I had the phone about 10 months and it started doing the "invalid sim error" more often and shutting off by itself. I went to T-mobile and it was still under warranty. Got a replacement phone now for 2 months and now it's started doing the same thing again...at a loss of what to do!

I've got a crazy idea that may or may not have been mentioned yet... try putting a piece of tape on the back of the sim card!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720