My decision is based on battery life...

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'm in my final stretch here. I have finally decided to make the jump from Android and my GS3 to the 8X. But only if battery life is acceptable. I keep seeing a good number of people complain about battery life on this phone. And I can easily get a normal days use out of my GS3. If I can get anything similar to that on this phone then I'm sold.

Can anyone ease my fears? I'm on Verizon if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the initial fears especially after a first days use and my phone soon died, but after a few weeks i find my battery acceptable for a full day with moderate use, browsing texting etc. Admittedly i charge it every night but I've always done that with my phones
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Keckpec29

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Im going to be honest...Im coming from a Galaxy Nexus which has the same size battery and they battery life was pretty bad, I couldn't get a full day out of it, I would be at 5% by the afternoon. So when I heard the 8x had a 1800mah battery I was a little hesitant it would be the same, in fact, I thought I would have wireless chargers all over the house to keep it charged. Well, I am pleasantly surprised, my battery life is great! With moderate use Im about 65-70% by the end of the day, heavy use around 50% when I get home from work, my battery last all day and Im extremely happy with the phone and WP8!

squadrons

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had an 8X for almost two weeks now. The first few days, I got poor battery life, but found out that it was an account syncing issue causing the quick drain. Since fixing that issue, my battery has been going strong for 15+ hour days with moderate use. I've been able to quickly drain the battery when using GPS services, but that's been a standard feature on smartphones I've owned. You will probably have to adjust some of your phone's passive settings, but once you do, the battery holds up well.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much guys, I am really thinking that I'm going to get it! I'm going to buy it off contract to keep my unlimited data. Do any of you have any tips for a good deal off contract?

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've also gotta be honest...my battery life has been fantastic. I get a full day from 7 am until about 5.

I also have a car charger so I charge it on the way HOME from work, but for a 4G device and WP OS live tiles and all..i think its great.

ut_jd

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Im going to be honest...Im coming from a Galaxy Nexus which has the same size battery and they battery life was pretty bad, I couldn't get a full day out of it, I would be at 5% by the afternoon. So when I heard the 8x had a 1800mah battery I was a little hesitant it would be the same, in fact, I thought I would have wireless chargers all over the house to keep it charged. Well, I am pleasantly surprised, my battery life is great! With moderate use Im about 65-70% by the end of the day, heavy use around 50% when I get home from work, my battery last all day and Im extremely happy with the phone and WP8!

My results are also this good or better. I would recommend the buy!

Dano79

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I returned my 8x due to idle battery drain other than that I was getting about 18 hours while using it but let it sit overnight off the charger I would lose over 20%

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I returned my 8x due to idle battery drain other than that I was getting about 18 hours while using it but let it sit overnight off the charger I would lose over 20%

A smartphone is never idle if it has email accts, social media, weather apps, etc.......if its turned on its doing something. There's no reason to leave one unplugged overnight.

Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

Dano79

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Everything was turned off anything that syncs I turned off even in airplane mode I lost battery so have fun with that. Im gonna wait another year from now and try a windows phone again too many bugs for me. I did pay full retail I want a phone that works for 600 bucks. I would recommend the 8x if your willing to deal with a few bugs until updates come along. The phone IMO does function better than most androids I owned which is why I will purchase another one in the future. The only problems I was really having with the phone was the idle drain never had a single reboot and battery lasted long enough for me. The camera and music player are way better than any phone I have owned and I do miss my 8X but Im kinda picky when it comes to devices I use on a everyday basis.

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Bug with email. It newer pauses email sync unless the phone is off. So it drains terrible when it can't get a data connection.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I had the same poor battery paranoia but it all came from having a new phone....finding apps, downloading, getting to know the phone...the phone has OK battery life, slightly better than my last phone....download "Battery Measure" so you can make a log of ur battery life. Just make sure you check your background processes from settings and make sure you always know what you have turned on and what push notification you have on too...too many and it will drain it fast.

Sgtakase

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this Vz *x has been the best battery I've ever had. LTE on, streaming xbox music, calls, text, engadget, assasins creed, and more. over the past week I actually have to try to drain the battery to get it low. Even now its been on for 20 hours straight and at 37% battery. I FULLY reccomend it

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
There's no reason to leave one unplugged overnight.
This. I make it through a whole day easily on one charge. If I had to, I could probably make it 24 hours, then plug it in the next day at work... but who doesn't plug their phone in at night?

Even if you just get a charger for your car for the commute from home to work and back, you'll be fine getting through a full day.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My 8x lasts all day. I'm a heavy user too, spent all day yesterday watching football whilst tweeting, fbing, texting, browsing the internet, and managed to watch a few episodes of Psych on Netflix afterwards before my battery died! Lte, Bluetooth, and WiFi on the entire time! (NFC off)

esheafer

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite pleased with mine. I'm on Verizon (got the black one). While at first it was only getting about 8 hours, that has completely changed. It has almost been 2 weeks now and I can go about 2 days. I use it moderately for email, browsing, a quick game, messaging, few phone calls, some FB checks. I do actively have 3 email accounts syncing, weather, FB, some games. I leave location and WiFi on ALL the time. See the attached screenshot. It shows battery info at the bottom. You can see the lats time I charged was 2 days ago and I still have 17% left (should last me another hour or so). I typically start charging when the battery is at 10%. I will also attach a screen shot of the battery graph.

I did selectively follow this advice as well: http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/203318-battery-tricks-tips-htc-8x.html

Good luck! :grin:
wp_ss_20121203_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20121203_0002.jpg

Jonadam23

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my 8X (Verizon, blue) pretty constantly since it is my new toy. I normally have everything on (GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi, etc.) and I use in a building where the phone is forced to constantly switch between 3G and 4G. The majority of my use is texting, music, and web browsing. I unplug it around 6:45 am and it normally wants to crap out around 4:00pm. Pretty good since I am using almost constantly. My previous phone, the HTC trophy, would want to crap out around 12ish. The phone doesn't have terrific battery but it has plenty of juice to get you through a full day. I'm looking to buy an external battery though, just in case I forget to charge it one night or something of that nature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos