GMapsPro works great on the 8X!!!!

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
For all non-Nokia users that don't have a built-in GPS app one great app is the GMapsPro! Now with the latest update, when searching for example in Bing, you get the result, when pressing on "Drive use an app" it will show up!!!! Once installed, the next time you hit "Drive use an app" it will start GMapsPro with the address and start navigating!!!!!

I was looking for an app like that and talked to one of the dev and today it is working great!!!!!!

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Also didn't know that but now when pressing on a address it will show you the map like before, then it the arrow for the directions and when the directions are there, press on the new drive arrow, at the bottom and GMapsPro will start. The only thing from this app now is the voice turn by turn.

Brett Jackson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread, I was just about to as well to get the word out! My biggest complaint with the 8X so far has been the lack of built in and integrated turn by turn GPS and now we finally at least have something that works pretty well! I'm not too familiar with gMaps, so I will be testing it out over the next few days, but it looks like its snappy, and will do the job. It would be nice to have some voice navigation, but at least this has a driving/rotating mode, and integrates with the 'drive' option in Windows Phone 8 as of yesterday I believe. I still would like Microsoft to get their act together and figure out what they are doing for integrated turn by turn nav on ALL devices, but for now, gMaps will be getting a lot of use on my 8X.

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this!

Does turn by turn navigation automatically mean voice-guided navigation? I'm always confused by this because I am new to using this feature :D

But I am also quite happy with the navigation I have with the Maps in my 8X. At first, I thought I had no navigation of any kind. But then I noticed that the "My Location" automatically updates already and functions well so I can see where I am in the road, so I was very happy when I found that out :))

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well since we don't have a built-in GPS app for our 8X now we have with this app. The difference between the built-in map is that it doesn't rotate as we turn when driving, doesn't give us alternate routes or reroutes...etc. With GMapsPro (you can check the store for more info) it follows you on the map rotate as you turn, gives you alternate routes, reroutes, you can choose between walking, transit, car, bicycle, a lot of layers like the temperature, google latitude, traffic, compass, double wide live tile with google latitude friend when they are nearby it let you know...etc. So for example, you search in Bing and find what you are looking for, you have 2 options: press the address (it will popup the built-in map app) press on the directions arrow it will give you the directions then a new arrow at the bottom will show up press on it and GMapsPro will open with all info and you can start driving. The fastest way is again once you have found your search in Bing, press "Drive use an app" and GMapsPro will open with all info and you are good to drive right now!!!!

Last edited:

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Awesome explanation! I WAS wondering why I wasn't able to get alternate routes in the built-in Maps!

Gonna take a look at gMaps Pro! Hopefully, HTC / MS makes a navigation app available to us non-Lumia owners out there.

Thanks again!

Brett Jackson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a small note as well, for any of those new to gMaps like I was until yesterday. First thing to do is to go into the settings and 'enable driver mode' or something to that effect. This will make it a seamless transition from when you choose 'Drive' from a bing search to starting your navigation. Most people probably already figured this out, but just in case.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly f#$! Google. Wish gmaps was bmaps... (Bing Maps) Microsoft should talk to them and give them access to maps.bing.com
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame, an enthusiast has created a third-party 4MB app which provides you with Turn-by-turn navigation using Google Maps and in the same time Maps application (created by Microsoft) of the phone not to be able to use Bing Maps for Turn-by-turn navigation...

astrakh

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just a small note as well, for any of those new to gMaps like I was until yesterday. First thing to do is to go into the settings and 'enable driver mode' or something to that effect. This will make it a seamless transition from when you choose 'Drive' from a bing search to starting your navigation. Most people probably already figured this out, but just in case.

Hi all!

Actually after gMaps activation when you ask for route ("DRIVE use the app") route will be built and you can just tap on vehicle icon to start driver mode. There is no need to go to the settings to enable it separately.

Thanks,
gMaps Team.

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey gmaps, is the native map transition to gmaps only available on the pro version?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon