HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Now my phone is dead since Monday and the red LED wont appear, there is a costumer waiting he wants to trade his Lumia 920 with my HTC 8X, but I have to wait arrrgg :D

Tainted Clone

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Support ticket... Good luck with that. Tried twice last week and never got a response. Unless you own a HTC One, they don't wanna know you.

Doesn't sound too promising. Had mine shut down last week whilst playing some music, but managed to get it to switch back on after holding the power button in for 30 seconds or so.

Been holding off playing any music since (which is making the xbox music pass redundant), in the hopes that a fix will be released soon. But it sounds like they aren't bothered.

Does anyone know if they have acknowledged there is a fault and they are looking into it?

Karlizzz

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My 8X died yesterday when streaming with spotify. Tried all key pressing things during the day, plugged in multiple chargers no lights, no vibrate, nothing, dead.

Left it connected to computer for the night and a day with the charger cable as suggested here. Today when I came back from the work there was green light, it?s alive, hooray!

I sure hope they?ll fix this. Along with the audio volume weaving, crackling and other possible features this update gave us

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My 8X died yesterday when streaming with spotify. Tried all key pressing things during the day, plugged in multiple chargers no lights, no vibrate, nothing, dead.

Left it connected to computer for the night and a day with the charger cable as suggested here. Today when I came back from the work there was green light, it?s alive, hooray!

I sure hope they?ll fix this. Along with the audio volume weaving, crackling and other possible features this update gave us

Same problem happened to me. Never use my 8x for music but decided to use it for a jog and during the first song everything went black.

HTC Helpdesk isn't any help either.

@Karlizzz, can you tell us what your better life was before your phone turned off and how long you waited before connecting it? Also did you connect it to your wall charger or to your computer?

ATM I'm trying to let the battery run dry but it was at 90% when it went black.

Karlizzz

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Same problem happened to me. Never use my 8x for music but decided to use it for a jog and during the first song everything went black.

HTC Helpdesk isn't any help either.

@Karlizzz, can you tell us what your better life was before your phone turned off and how long you waited before connecting it? Also did you connect it to your wall charger or to your computer?

ATM I'm trying to let the battery run dry but it was at 90% when it went black.

I don?t know for sure but I think around 30-50% battery left when it died(around 6AM). I first had it in car charger for couple of hours during the day(I?m quite sure it wont charge the battery even if connected to any charger) and in the evening maybe around 9PM I connected it to computer. 6 hours later it was still totally dead. 15 hours later I came home and it was alive and fully charged.

I?d say just leave it plugged in the charger and it will come back to life eventually(battery depletes, reboots, charging starts to work again), but that?s just my theory

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don?t know for sure but I think around 30-50% battery left when it died(around 6AM). I first had it in car charger for couple of hours during the day(I?m quite sure it wont charge the battery even if connected to any charger) and in the evening maybe around 9PM I connected it to computer. 6 hours later it was still totally dead. 15 hours later I came home and it was alive and fully charged.

I?d say just leave it plugged in the charger and it will come back to life eventually(battery depletes, reboots, charging starts to work again), but that?s just my theory

Cool, thanks for the info. All the messages here have given me hope that mine will spring back to life eventually :)

Kind of disappointment HTC hasn't given out a warning yet, warning people of the possible problem. I'll report back when/if mine comes back to life.

Fingers crossed.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Kind of disappointment HTC hasn't given out a warning yet, warning people of the possible problem.
It's not a dissapointment, it's deplorable that they haven't even publicly acknowledged it. They didn't "accept" two of my support tickets, and they've totally ignored me on Twitter. Shocking form, will likely never buy a HTC product again.

Had this been their precious HTC One, updates would have been instantaneous. If Nokia had landed themselves in this situation, they would have been all over the airwaves apologising and promising imminent fixes. And they would have followed through with it.

Can't wait till I can toss this piece of **** and buy a Lumia. Sick of HTC and their hump and dump policies.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It's not a dissapointment, it's deplorable that they haven't even publicly acknowledged it. They didn't "accept" two of my support tickets, and they've totally ignored me on Twitter. Shocking form, will likely never buy a HTC product again.

Had this been their precious HTC One, updates would have been instantaneous. If Nokia had landed themselves in this situation, they would have been all over the airwaves apologising and promising imminent fixes. And they would have followed through with it.

Can't wait till I can toss this piece of **** and buy a Lumia. Sick of HTC and their hump and dump policies.

I agree but this seems to be becoming the standard practice for more and more companies (e.g. Apple). Deny,deny,deny until you're backed into a corner.
You are right that some companies handle these problems better than others.

I think we need to get this story on as many big tech websites as possible. Only then I fear will HTC acknowledges this problem.
Secretly I'm hoping that although they are publicly denying the problem exists they are working on a solution that they will roll out soon.

And even though they will not acknowledge the cause they cannot deny that there is problem seeing that they are fixing the phones under warranty.

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
@
MilkyTee Hey, my phone ist off since monday what iam doing wrong, i think when it went off, it was in airplane mode. Now what shall i do let should i connect it to pc or not?

Is there a possible way to pull out the battery?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
@
MilkyTee Hey, my phone ist off since monday what iam doing wrong, i think when it went off, it was in airplane mode. Now what shall i do let should i connect it to pc or not?

Is there a possible way to pull out the battery?
You can't pull the battery, the phone only comes into two parts and you risk permanently frying the thing if you were to open it up without the neccessary knowledge.

Just follow my instructions above; depending on how much battery you think the phone had when it died, leave it alone and go about your life until you think it's running low, then plug it into a PC. It should reboot after that. But it'll probably die again. Mine did, so now I have to wait until at least Sunday to plug it in and hopefully get it working again.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
second HTC 8X completely has no power fully charged and just shut down and cannot and will not re boot this one is a day old

what is the cause of this
What do you mean second? Was this phone already repaired by HTC? Is it a refurb model, or a new replacement?

Also, did you download the GDR2 update on this phone? If yes, what exactly were you doing on the phone as and when it died? e.g. were you listening to music or on Whatsapp or was it just sitting idle?

sstiwari

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I have heard many times that removing sim card in switched on condition forces HTC 8X to reboot. I was just pondering if its working for someone whose battery is not yet drained.

Thanks.
SST

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon