T-Mobile GDR2 update????

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine uses a generic HTC 8x and has received the GDR 2 update, was telling me that the one from Nokia is still due.
I never actually like the carrier locked phones, they tend to hold, mould and even postpone the pdates as they need more time to bloat the update with their softwares.
A way out could be to flash a generic firmware (worked in androids) not sure about wp series though, and then it may impact the warranty and stuff.

Solution - Buy a tmobile sim and a contract free phone :)

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine uses a generic HTC 8x and has received the GDR 2 update, was telling me that the one from Nokia is still due.
I never actually like the carrier locked phones, they tend to hold, mould and even postpone the pdates as they need more time to bloat the update with their softwares.
A way out could be to flash a generic firmware (worked in androids) not sure about wp series though, and then it may impact the warranty and stuff.

Solution - Buy a tmobile sim and a contract free phone :)

You may not like carrier locked phones, but look, all the unlocked 8x devices are likely all bricked because of GDR2. With a carrier locked device, they supposedly fix any issues before release.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You may not like carrier locked phones, but look, all the unlocked 8x devices are likely all bricked because of GDR2. With a carrier locked device, they supposedly fix any issues before release.

I always buy a sim free phone with warranty (Contract systems don't have success over here), so if an update bricked the phone, its still in warranty,I could get it repaired or replaced under the warranty clause :).

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile GDR2 update???? - Response from HTC

Here is response to inquiry I made regarding removing update:

Dear ..............,

I understand your concern with this update no longer being available for your 8X. Having the latest updates is important and I will be happy to address this with you. This update is currently in a 'soak' period. This means we have temporarily stopped pushing the update so we are able to gain feedback to see if the update caused any issues. So far we have not had any reports of such issues so the update should resume soon. You may manually check for updates by going to Settings> Phone Update. In this setting you will also have the option to alert you when updates are available. If you have further questions, ......, please do not hesitate to reply. Thank you for being an important part of the HTC community!

As always we are just an email away for additional support. I would love to get some feedback on how well you thought I did today. If you would be kind enough to provide that feedback by visiting HTC Online Survey, we would greatly appreciate it."

Haha, no reported issues???? lol, right.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile GDR2 update???? - Response from HTC

I understand your concern with this update no longer being available for your 8X. Having the latest updates is important and I will be happy to address this with you. This update is currently in a 'soak' period. This means we have temporarily stopped pushing the update so we are able to gain feedback to see if the update caused any issues. So far we have not had any reports of such issues, because all the phones that were updated had the option to report errors removed! so the update should resume soon. You may manually check for updates by going to Settings> Phone Update. In this setting you will also have the option to alert you when updates are available. If you have further questions, ......, please do not hesitate to reply. Thank you for being an important part of the HTC community!

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Any news on t-mobile starting since the delay appears to be corrected? I assume AT&T would not have started if still an issue.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So check it guys..... I have a buddy that's a TMo rep. I currently have a replacement device (chilling in the car no SIM) due to THIS one having screen issues (not the glass, the LCD). Reason THAT one is in the ride has been connectivity issues, LTE just launched here. Talking about it all, I joke that there's probably no TMo 8Xs left to get yet another warranty replacement (I am seriously on my 5th one since end of November!!!). She then tells me probably not, its been discontinued, I know they basically EOLed it, she then tells me...

No, its been RECALL discontinued.........(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????). Its proven to be a very buggy device.

I have no idea what this means for the GDR2 update, or any future support for that matter. We've all read and heard about unlocked 8Xs bricking after the update, but ATT is doing theirs now. Time will tell I guess.

I DO and have loved my 8Xs, all 5 of them ( yes all warranty exchanges), but I've got to say, that 925 is starting to look a little/lot better right now.

With this info, what are all your thoughts now?

Last edited:

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
So check it guys..... I have a buddy that's a TMo rep. I currently have a replacement device (chilling in the car no SIM) due to THIS one having screen issues (not the glass, the LCD). Reason THAT one is in the ride has been connectivity issues, LTE just launched here. Talking about it all, I joke that there's probably no TMo 8Xs left to get yet another warranty replacement (I am seriously on my 5th one since end of November!!!). She then tells me probably not, its been discontinued, I know they basically EOLed it, she then tells me...

No, its been RECALL discontinued.........(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????). Its proven to be a very buggy device.

I have no idea what this means for the GDR2 update, or any future support for that matter. We've all read and heard about unlocked 8Xs bricking after the update, but ATT is doing theirs now. Time will tell I guess.

I DO and have loved my 8Xs, all 5 of them ( yes all warranty exchanges), but I've got to say, that 925 is starting to look a little/lot better right now.

With this info, what are all your thoughts now?
so if I replace my 8x and tgey have non left, will I get a 521 or a 925? Hmm.. Last time I tried to replace a discontinued WP, they gave me an android...

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The 521 is a serious downgrade from the 8X. The 925 is the most comparable, in fact, base specs are nearly identical. I wouldn't accept anything less.

Just sayin

😉

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The 521 is a serious downgrade from the 8X. The 925 is the most comparable, in fact, base specs are nearly identical. I wouldn't accept anything less.

Just sayin

��

The 925 looks almost exactly like the 8x, even has a decent screen. Id still go for the 925 simply because its Nokia, and it has comparable specs, hell, updates can be flashed if you wanted since nokia makes them available I believe. Htc windows phones are dying, and there is too small of a community to prove that we need the update when we can just upgrade our phones easily using that new jump program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb