is it worth to make the jump to the arrive?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
eric12341 or anyone else who does it--

I cannot take you seriously at all when you say "webPOS" and I am sure I'm not alone. Why not "gaydroid" or "CRAPple"? You're making yourself look like an immature fool. It brings back memories of 10 years ago, reading slashdot, and seeing all the immature linux kids saying "micro$ucks". It's lame, it says to me that you're a stubborn and stupid child; which you probably are not, I'm sure you're a great guy when not hiding behind an anonymous screen-name. Either way, anything you say is painted in that tone when you use such childish jokes.

Please stop saying "webPOS". I want to take your seriously and respect you, but I cannot if this continues. We can take this debate to somewhere the mods allow, but only if you stop with the nonsense. I understand that you have a dire burning uncontrollable disgust towards webOS. It has been noted. You can stop with the immaturity now.
As I've said before this is wpcentral and as such I feel that I should be able to bash webPOS,crapple etc as much as I want without being reproached for it. I keep it contained here,the immature thing to do is go into precenteal ,tipb,Androidcentral or comment on article pertaining to those bashing them and this is what I see the Linux(webPOS and Android) and Apple faithful do all the time throughout the web on the competition articles.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
most of us came from webos becuz we cant or dont want ios and becuz android sucks lol so the next best solution is wp7 and its a great alternative, if i had a choice id want webos and wp7 on top, not android and ios. but palm just isnt doing a fast enough job or a good enough the os it self was never as smooth or responsive as wp7. im leaving as soon as i can.

I agree in my wildest of dreams I'd want webOS and WP7 on top of everything. I hate everything apple basically because of the majority of people who use their products. Like the dorks who sit at starbucks for hours ect. Anyways webOS is not dead yet but this summer is it's last chance imo. If the Pre 3 and Veer fail then even with a heavy marketing push from HP and even with going to all major carriers then there is no chance for it in the phone market. It'll just have to be used on HP desktops I guess and HP will be kicking itself for wasting 1 billion dollars. Its likely the Iphone 5 will not come out this summer either so this is a chance for WP7 and webOS to gain ground...

Last edited:

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree in my wildest of dreams I'd want webOS and WP7 on top of everything. I hate everything apple basically because of the majority of people who use their products. Like the dorks who sit at starbucks for hours ect. Anyways webOS is not dead yet but this summer is it's last chance imo. If the Pre 3 and Veer fail then even with a heavy marketing push from HP and even with going to all major carriers then there is no chance for it in the phone market. It'll just have to be used on HP desktops I guess and HP will be kicking itself for wasting 1 billion dollars. Its likely the Iphone 5 will not come out this summer either so this is a chance for WP7 and webOS to gain ground...

yea if iphone 5 doesnt come out this summer msoft better start to hurry! they could potentially catch up and change the game we just needs features and marketing and i think we need like a specific phone to go by like the nexus 1 or g1 with google and i think thats why msoft is working closely with samsung to give us that one device the front hold device.

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before this is wpcentral and as such I feel that I should be able to bash webPOS,crapple etc as much as I want without being reproached for it. I keep it contained here,the immature thing to do is go into precenteal ,tipb,Androidcentral or comment on article pertaining to those bashing them and this is what I see the Linux(webPOS and Android) and Apple faithful do all the time throughout the web on the competition articles.

You can express your dislike for webOS but seriously, webPOS? what are you, 12 years old? dont be a d-bag. Especially since a large portion of this board came from WEBOS and know that its amazing, we are just on WP7 becuase the hardware sucks.

thats not saying that WP7 isnt amazing in its own right, but at this point, with WebOS 2.0, if i had to choose between an HTC arrive and a palm pre with the exact same form factor, id choose webOS.

However this is not the case and im not regretting my arrive purchase one bit and Im actually thinking of staying on fro the long haul if microsoft does this right. But if at any point HP comes out with a webOS 3.0 4 inch slate, im gone.

Last edited:

BMS

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
switch from palm pre

i need a new phone! this damn sprint pre minus needs to go! its seriously on its last leg, i was wondering from any current arrive user is it worth the upgrade? i dont want to invest with the last year hardware in fear on something newer coming out, so are u happy with your choice? and do u think i should make the move? or should i wait?

I purchased the Arrive for my husband last week. It's a pretty good phone, but a few things that are irritating: universal search - zero! If you don't have a palm you won't likely miss it. Flipping the phone sideways to open the slider (takes a lot of getting used to) & it's not very smooth. Very small letters for text (& pretty much everything). Quality pictures is a difficult task (sometimes feels impossible) indoors. Soooo much miss the Touchstone. It takes multiple steps do do what used to be a maximum of 2.
The good: pretty durable phone, looks nice & it turns on much faster. It sync's nicely (from what I've been able to tell so far). The keys on the slider are nice & big (hubby is going blind). I'm sure there are more great qualities, but we're still in "play & learn" mode.
I will be waiting - I'm just not impressed enough with my husbands (he wasn't able to wait - fast death of his uninsured phone). Mine was still insured so I got a new "old" one to hold me off for another option.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
you can just start typing and it will pull anything on your phone or direct you to wiki/google/whatever. its pretty sweet, but not something that is to die for imo. The thing about webos is the simplicity of doing things. its a really nice os, but the hard ware sucked and the hackers made it much better

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
you can just start typing and it will pull anything on your phone or direct you to wiki/google/whatever. its pretty sweet, but not something that is to die for imo. The thing about webos is the simplicity of doing things. its a really nice os, but the hard ware sucked and the hackers made it much better

To be honest I never use it that much except for typing in a web address. Otherwise everything else is pretty easy and quick to get to.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
and wp7 doesn't have anything similar? U can press and hold the start button and say something and it'll do it or search for it.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
and wp7 doesn't have anything similar? U can press and hold the start button and say something and it'll do it or search for it.

That misses the entire point of Universal Search. Universal search means that you never have to manually hunt down any particular app, contact or even the browser ever again.

How does that work? By the power of your keyboard. As soon as you start typing your phone is turning up search results locally/internally and with the push of the enter button will search Google if you want to search externally to the phone.

Here's a screen shot of what my phone found when I typed the letters "P" "A".

Of course the more you type, the more narrow the search results. It's pure genius and now all the OS's are using webOS as inspiration.

WP7 needs Universal Search badly given its reliance on the MetroUI.

Last edited:

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well its not that impressive. And u aren't hunting down an app with this feature either. Just press-hold ,speak then bam.

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

It's freaking sweet and I wish WP7 had it as much as I love me some WP7.

If you work in a corporate environment you will quickly find out speaking to your phone is frowned upon and entirely impractical.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

It's freaking sweet and I wish WP7 had it as much as I love me some WP7.

If you work in a corporate environment you will quickly find out speaking to your phone is frowned upon and entirely impractical.

That is pretty sweet, and something I wouldn't mind having implemented. Agree with you in regards to the corporate comment.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
not only that but its much quicker to type a couple keys and get get the results as opposed to speaking and perhaps not having the phone understand you. Universial search is a nice feature. Voice controls are a nice feature. The 2 features I miss most from competitors are voice texting from andriod and cards from webos. IF we had those this would be a perfect phone. But, not having them isnt really a big deal.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well its not that impressive. And u aren't hunting down an app with this feature either. Just press-hold ,speak then bam.

i used universal search on my pixi all the time. it was fantastic how efficiently i was able to look up anything on the phone. finding a contact for example is much more of a pain on wp7.

say i had a contact named adrian johnson: i would type "adrian" or "aj" or "jo" from the launcer or card view to bring him up instantly with options to call, text, email, etc.

if i wanted to search for "charlie sheen" on the internet, i would simply type in his name and the options to search google, imdb, wikipedia, youtube, and twitter would show up.

speaking a search isn't nearly as good.
1. i don't want my coworkers overhearing me say "text girlfriend" or "facebook" or "bing search rash on my crotch". the last one was a joke, but the other two i would rather type than have people hear me say out loud.
2. automatic speech recognition engines are not good. there is not one perfect one out there, and most are pretty lacking. foreign accents they have a particularly tough time with. also, odd names can be tricky and many apps do not have a strait forward name. my best friends name is foreign, and the asr will not recognize it for the life of me. typing his initials into the home screen would be much preferred.

that being said, the alternative on wp7 is to simply go into "people" and hit the magnifying glass, which is a few more steps but not many. you can't search by initials though...

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
It's odd that this feature is missing from WP7. Also missing: using the dialpad and T9 to type in the name of a contact. I am used to doing this - I've done it for years on WinMo 5/6.x and on my Evo: open dialpad, type first three letters of the name of the person I want to call, tap their name to call. Is there a way to enable this on the Arrive? I like the People hub (especially for Facebook integration, it's pretty sweet) but I want a quicker way to dial someone without using a livetile.

i used universal search on my pixi all the time. it was fantastic how efficiently i was able to look up anything on the phone. finding a contact for example is much more of a pain on wp7.

say i had a contact named adrian johnson: i would type "adrian" or "aj" or "jo" from the launcer or card view to bring him up instantly with options to call, text, email, etc.

if i wanted to search for "charlie sheen" on the internet, i would simply type in his name and the options to search google, imdb, wikipedia, youtube, and twitter would show up.

speaking a search isn't nearly as good.
1. i don't want my coworkers overhearing me say "text girlfriend" or "facebook" or "bing search rash on my crotch". the last one was a joke, but the other two i would rather type than have people hear me say out loud.
2. automatic speech recognition engines are not good. there is not one perfect one out there, and most are pretty lacking. foreign accents they have a particularly tough time with. also, odd names can be tricky and many apps do not have a strait forward name. my best friends name is foreign, and the asr will not recognize it for the life of me. typing his initials into the home screen would be much preferred.

that being said, the alternative on wp7 is to simply go into "people" and hit the magnifying glass, which is a few more steps but not many. you can't search by initials though...

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i love universal search so simple but so useful imo and im sure with mango or another update we will see it. i seen a video where under the arrow to get to the app (on windows phone 7) there was a search icon like a magnifying glass. ill find the link if you guys want proof...

BMS

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
no shared calendar syncing, and I didn't realize I would miss true multi-tasking so much.

I have had no problem with calendar syncing - I use windows live w/ my hotmail account. I totally agree w/ the multi-tasking. I find myself constantly trying to "flick" the screen - bugger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes