Radar owners please help!!

xuthusiam

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I am a prospect buyer of HTC Radar. Planning the purchase in about a day or two. But before i got the phone i had few clarifications to be made. I hope you can help me out with the same soonest possible.

1. Is GTalk possible. If yes can GTalk be used for video chat?
  2. Is Google Map available as an app or should it be accessed over the web browser? Either ways would it be using the internet or the built in GPS antenna to locate?
  3. When it was said the ringtone can be customized [from the review], does it mean we can pull in songs from the playlist and make it as a ringtone.? Does it have file type support restrictions for eg: mp3, aac, etc?
  4. Can any pair of earphones/headphone with a 3.5 mm jack be used.?
  5. Read in few places about there being a digital compass and in some other places that there is not. Could anyone tell me the truth?

So much for now. Will trouble if something new pops up in my head.

Thanks in advance. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can't create ringtones "on the fly" from your phone. Custom ringtones have to be created on the desktop and synced (mp3 and wma). With that said, there are several apps that allow you to browse tens of thousands of ringtones (song snippets) and download them directly to your phone.

You can use any headphones with a 3.5mm jack, or external speakers, if you prefer.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

nodrogkam

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
In addition to what has already been said (all of which are true), gchat/talk is supported by 3rd party apps (which still suck IMO). gtalk video...not likely - though I haven't looked for it.
Google maps is kind of supported by 3rd party app(s) but it's not that great compared with Android, or even iOS, or BlackBerry. Bing maps works well, except if you want to calculate public transportation - which is the only reason I use google maps either through the browser or app. Both seem to function equally as good/bad. haha.

Though 3.5mm headphones etc. will fit and output is likely to work, the volume controls and mic may not work with some headsets. But this is true for any/all devices/platforms out there.

Yep, NO compass. You cannot utilize compass apps and unless you're moving, it has no idea which direction you're technically facing. I do use Navigon and Bing Maps, for which navigation works just fine.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love my Radar and I would love to see more people adopt Windows Phone but...

To be honest, given your smartphone need, you'd really probably be better off with Android (better Gtalk w/voice&video, better Google Maps w/navigation, make pretty much any sound file your ringtone, and I can't think of an Android phone without a compass).

I'm using OctroTalk for Gtalk and while the app itself is nice...backgrounding/multitasking limitations prevent any Gtalk app from being anywhere near as good as the native Messages app with Live/FB messenger (or Gtalk on Android=/)

Personally have not tried the gmaps app but it seems to have good reviews in the Marketplace...

Sent from my HTC Radar using Board Express

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon