I think I am going to get this phone.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
With this HTC LCD screen bait and switch ordeal, I am a little afraid that AT&T's spec device will use something less good than the SLCD I've seen in reviews. It is a lot more expensive than the Focus S compared to the international Titan. But for the same $199, would AT&T order a cheaper version of the phone? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
whats the HTC bait and switch ordeal?

The Android variant of this phone has the same SLCD, it appears if that means anything.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
They appear to enjoy producing, say, replacement phones with a screen of inferior quality compared to the phone at release. I have not personally experienced this but I think others who have can chime in to validate.

So what I was worried about is a little extension of that. I was thinking of ordering the Titan on day 1 and I guess I could easily find out myself in 30 days. Or I could wait for reviews...I just wanted to know if people think it would even be possible for AT&T to order Titans with cheaper screens than the international version. I'm not trying to talk myself out of it, but I want to avoid disappointment.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the AMOLED shortage that forced HTC to switch to SLCD last year?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If that's all it is (and I'm not exactly sure it is) then I'm not worried at all. Basically I like what I see about the Titan's screen in all reviews. Actually, I'd be mad not only if they switched to an inferior LCD, but even to Super AMOLED plus!

Full disclosure: a thread over at XDA, "Caution! HTC Radar is going to use back the UGLY TFT monitor again"

Hopefully it's a big misunderstanding and there's nothing to worry about.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes apparently they're at it again for some of their devices, like the HD7s.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well, I know the Sensation (just plain Sensation), despite being market has a S-LCD (obstinately claimed under the same name in several HTC press releases) from Sony, has Sharp and AUO as it's only two panel suppliers.... something that's well covered on the XDA forums (rather sizeable thread, too).

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the AMOLED shortage that forced HTC to switch to SLCD last year?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Very impressed if HTC was able to swap a SLCD into an AMOLED chassis. I would have thought the two screens were just just plug and play interchangeable. Or did they just stop making the AMOLED phones and started a new series of phones with LCD?

Yes apparently they're at it again for some of their devices, like the HD7s.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I thought the HD7 had an LCD display not an AMOLED.

weepatc

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
is the sleep/wake button durable enough? i am still waiting for this phone.. i am from Philippines
Buttons are now very nice & well set into the top & side of the device. I've had the Titan since beginning of October & can't praise performance & build quality enough.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Reading some threads over at XDA which make the phone sound even buggier than the Focus S...is it possible AT&T will work with HTC to sort out issues before release on their network?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to summarize a few from the Titan forum over at XDA:
Callers can't hear you half the time
After loaded a certain amount (or certain) of apps, the phone becomes laggy playing video/games
WiFi connection integrity issues

They've already got a hold of some official (but unreleased) service center rom and they're talking about flashing it in and if it fixed certain bugs. That just gave me flashbacks to the current WinMo phone that I use, and used to flash monthly.

I want to switch to WP7 for smooth, bug-free operation. Not an experience like WinMo or Android.

I'm not totally dissuaded but I am keeping on eye on issues at the same time.

Have to keep in mind the Titan has been out longer than the Focus S (in my mind, the only real competitor) and to an international user base, at that. So I need to take that into consideration.

That's why I am hopeful that AT&T will at least make sure the phone is bug-free for their user base. I have no idea if this is something they care about, or if they only do network validation testing.

soullinker20

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
^^ i hope they clear this out in time.. i'm strictly keeping an eye on this i want to justify my upgrade to titan from iphone 4 so hopefully this issues should not be really a concern especially on the laggy and wifi thing...
but i like this kind of problem than the 4s battery issues haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)