Titan + Data Useage?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Titan + Data Usage?

Hello everyone.

So last night I was going over the data usage on my account. I have 2 HTC Titans and 3 iPhones (ugh, I know) on the account.

Both Titans were activated last week. I always have my phone connected to WiFi when I'm at home.

I notice that there are some RATHER large data pulls around timeframe when I know these 2 phones are connected to WiFi. For instance three nights in a row around 11:27PM, one of the Titans indicated data usage in the upwards of 150MB. He's already sitting at around 580MB in a week. We came from Sprint and would average that in a month! He also came from Android which, in my experience, consumed more data that WP. I used to have the HTC Arrive on Sprint and would only average 400 - 500 MB a month. The data use of my heavy user on the account with an iPhone is only at 225MB.

It just looks like 'odd' behavior to me. I'm going to keep tracing it back to see if there is a point in time when data usage spiked (like maybe an App update or something that's routing data incorrectly).

On my Titan I also see three different data indicators. They are: wap.cingular, phone, and broadband. I have the 4GB/month option with Tether (only used tether a couple times) and the other is on the 2GB/month plan. That one only appears to have the wap.cingular indicators on it's data use.

Anyone else noticing this? Like I said, I'm new to ATT as of this past month and am still adjusting of course to how their usage section works.

Last edited:

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am noticing some strange data usage myself. I have several charges around 11:30 pm when I know I am on wifi where I see 25-50 MB chuncks being charged to my data plan. These are listed as To/From "phone". What is also troubling is that every 25-32 minutes throughout the day there is a 4-6 KB charge listed To/From "wap.cingular"? Perhaps they are push/pull notifications from email? Even that doesn't make much sense as I also get hit with this charge while I am on my home wifi network plus none of my email accounts are set up to check for email at 30 minute intervals. My Hotmail account is set to receive items as they arrive, my gmail is set to check every 2 hours and my yahoo account is set to check manually.

I will keep an eye on this over the next few days and report back my findings. Please let me know how you are doing and if you contact AT&T to see what they say. Thanks!

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I am noticing some strange data usage myself. I have several charges around 11:30 pm when I know I am on wifi where I see 25-50 MB chuncks being charged to my data plan. These are listed as To/From "phone". What is also troubling is that every 25-32 minutes throughout the day there is a 4-6 KB charge listed To/From "wap.cingular"? Perhaps they are push/pull notifications from email? Even that doesn't make much sense as I also get hit with this charge while I am on my home wifi network plus none of my email accounts are set up to check for email at 30 minute intervals. My Hotmail account is set to receive items as they arrive, my gmail is set to check every 2 hours and my yahoo account is set to check manually.

I will keep an eye on this over the next few days and report back my findings. Please let me know how you are doing and if you contact AT&T to see what they say. Thanks!

Considering the fact that you too are noticing data pings around 11:30 PM, I'm finding that MORE than suspect now, considering that's APPROXIMATELY when I'm seeing some bigger data pulls. The 4 to 6KB doesn't bug me as I'm sure this could be when WP goes and pulls live-tile data down and the like. I'll hold off on contacting AT&T until we hear from others out here to see if they notice the same things.

It's also going to take me a bit to go through the list of useage to determine if there is a time I could see the pattern begin.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Considering the fact that you too are noticing data pings around 11:30 PM, I'm finding that MORE than suspect now, considering that's APPROXIMATELY when I'm seeing some bigger data pulls. The 4 to 6KB doesn't bug me as I'm sure this could be when WP goes and pulls live-tile data down and the like. I'll hold off on contacting AT&T until we hear from others out here to see if they notice the same things.

It's also going to take me a bit to go through the list of useage to determine if there is a time I could see the pattern begin.

I never even thought of the live tile updates! Thanks for that info!

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Read this: Those Nighttime iPhone Downloads Are Actually Not Downloads

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

Interesting. Thanks for that.

I've looked at the time stamps on my brothers iPhone 4S and his times are listed sporadically throughout the day. No 11:30pm consistant time. His looks to be legit data pull periods when he's using data. Not seeing anything on the other iPhones, which are the regular iPhone 4.

HOWEVER, his also lists as 'Phone' where as the Titans are listing as mainly wap.cingular. So this may be partially what's going on, but it's not looking as consistant as the link indicates.

Lothario#CB

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Ah, me too.

Is AT&T labeling your data as sent rather than received? Not sure how accurate that label is. But that's what I see on mine, the same excessive data problem. I've talked to AT&T and they have also said that the listing is just a grouping of all the data for the day and I believe that but I have seen other WP7 people list out a full minute by minute AT&T display of their data usage which makes the "summary" explanation sound more convenient than correct.

I'm spending the next few days actively looking for whatever is hogging the data. If I find anything, I'll try to post it back to this thread as well. I'm somewhat convinced this is the result of some sort of two-way app sync that is pushing too much data too often, or something similar.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Also if you're new to WP7, keep in mind that a lot of those live tiles remain active & update, even when the phone is asleep. And WP7 turns off WiFi while its asleep too (then reconnects on wake).

I wish they'd allow WiFi to always be on, at least the option to do it. I don't like the idea of my phone using ANY cell data while its at my home, asleep or not.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there are way to turn off "cellular data" on the Titan? I am currently using an iPhone (waiting for my Titan to come) and when I'm at home i turn cellular data off so that the phone is forced to connect to wifi to use data.

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I had several WP here at work that jumped on their data usage after we replaced the phones. We tracked some excess usage down to the location settings and find my phone settings. Once we turned off the location in the find my phone settings a lot of the excess stopped.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not new to WP, had the HTC Arrive before my Titan. I've turned down the settings on 'Find my Phone' to only save location every few hours. It's funny, Data average on my Arrive in a months time was around 600MB, last month on the Titan was around 1.2GB. Not using it any differently either. At least I don't feel like I am.

Also, data shows as 'sent', which doesn't really concern me.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
This has been quiet for a bit but I think I found the data drain. I had my Gmail and Live email accounts download settings set to 'as items arrived'. I switched them to '30 minutes' and '1 hour' (for gmail). That seemed to plug the leaking bits SIGNIFICANTLY. I haven't changed how I've been using the phone and have only used 266MB this billing period. MUCH less than last month so far.

Just thought I'd share.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you guys are so worried about keeping your data usage to only a couple hundred megabytes when you have 2GB, 4GB, or unlimited plans?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you guys are so worried about keeping your data usage to only a couple hundred megabytes when you have 2GB, 4GB, or unlimited plans?

While I haven't actually been concerned with going over, things using data when they 'shouldn't' be or using more than anticipated was my main concern. I came from Sprint where I didn't have to worry about data, not that I'm worried now. But since I did have a WP on Sprint, the usage was completely different than what I had seen in the past.

The main purpose of this thread was to determine if, in fact, there was an app or something where people noticed 'odd' usage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion