Two Titans Microphone Sound Quality - Poor

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering this: What are you all doing that you need such high speeds? My phone constantly pulls at least 2mbps. This allows smooth web and apps use. The lack of flash and/or no plugin supports prohibits many of popular streaming video sites, which is what most would use the speed.

My point is .. I just don't see how struggling to use the phone as a phone is even being compared to "I'd like a little faster internet"

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
tested again last night and putting it on speaker phone and turning over so the speaker (back of phone) was slightly facing me and I was speaking into the mic directly or just offset, it seemed to make a lot of difference.

Not enough to use everyday but I wonder why it helped?

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Our two Titans are going back because of the microphone issue and also because I saw my Titan have two random reboots yesterday while being unplugged and just sitting next to me.

This phone has quality control problems and a few major issues. As stated in my original post, I rate this phone as POOR quality although we do like the size and shape. Love the OS just not this phone.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
An interesting experiment might be to try to cover the top microphone, which I believe is used for noise cancelation while on call. I'm not sure of the best way to cover it but if the noise reduction system hears no noise, does that improve quality because the system isn't trying to cut anything out? I suspect the call quality will improve to a consistent muffled quality, particularly for those with severe problems.

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Muffled sound and poor call quality as well

My family and I purchased Titans and we can't talk to anyone on them. Whenever we call people they say "sorry, I can't hear you, you sound muffled." We are both returning these and purchasing Samsungs unless this is fixed by the end of the week (as our return window is closing shortly)!

cmboo

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I called HTC to report muffled voice. The rep told me she couldn't hear me, so she experienced the problem everyone else had complained about. As I was talking to her, I decided remove my case - it's a Case-mate that I bought at AT&T. Then she said "I don't know what you just did but I can hear you clearly now." They recommended buying a case from shopamerica.htc.com (which has nothing on the Titan) or any of these - daydeal.com, letstalk.com, boxwave.com. Pretty lame. I love my case-mate. I guess AT&T needs to be made aware of this.

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The MUFFLED MICROPHONE issue isn't one of personal preference. This is documented on HTC.com forums:
Reporting NUMEROUS bugs, glitches, and problems - HTC TITAN

I'm a U.S. att user. I just phoned HTC at 866-449-8358 and reported the issue. They said it had not been reported before. this is BS. Hundreds are complaining online and several have said specifically that they have called HTC to report it.

---> SO I ASK: if you're a U.S. customer, please call 866-449-8358 and report it as "muffled microphone" or "muffled call quality" and describe it for them. We have to get an official answer. I hate the idea of returning the phone and getting another one with the same problem. Or getting a different phone like the Samsung.

Please say on the forums here which country you're from; interested to see if the pattern holds up that only non-European phones are affected which would point to a firmware issue.

#htctitanmuffle on Twitter.

Last edited:

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I panicked and today was my 30day and with 2hrs before ATT closing I returned the phone. My original focus is faster in all bandwidth tests and the muffled sound issue complaints became too frequent. I was in denial about it but today I made a tough decision and returned the phone. Some lucky person will get a refurbished titan with a full body zagg that was installed perfectly. Sad times right now.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I panicked and today was my 30day and with 2hrs before ATT closing I returned the phone. My original focus is faster in all bandwidth tests and the muffled sound issue complaints became too frequent. I was in denial about it but today I made a tough decision and returned the phone. Some lucky person will get a refurbished titan with a full body zagg that was installed perfectly. Sad times right now.

I did the same...feel your pain. Felt so liberated after the switch (to Focus S for me) that it was worth it. From a week out, I can assure you that 'it gets better...

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I tested my Titan with electrical tape on the top microphone (next to headphone jack) both UNDER the phone's aluminum case and OVER the phone's aluminum case.

Here's what's improved for me:
- much less background noise for receiving party, changing the volume rocker is no longer loud to the receiving party.

Here's what's not improved much:
- the chief complaint of my muffled voice to receiving party hears is improved, but not by much.

so, I'm disappointed on the muffled voice but background noise is now not an issue.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I did the same...feel your pain. Felt so liberated after the switch (to Focus S for me) that it was worth it. From a week out, I can assure you that 'it gets better...

Well between the muffle issue, then the bandwidth problem and the keyboard disappearing act, I went the other route and picked up the s2 galaxy to hold me over for a few months. Att informed me that the next phone id be stuck with, and no 30 day option. when these concerns are all addressed I'll be back with windows (and LTE).

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I received a call from HTC to follow-up the survey I completed after my call to HTC Customer Service. Back when I HAD a Titan (3rd one), I called regarding poor call quality, and the rep just dismissed the concern (not a known problem... sounds OK to me... like you have it on speaker...etc...). I directed him to forums and asked specifically for a ticket number.

By the time HTC called me today, I had returned the TITAN, so I told her exactly why. I suggested that they have a rapid-response team whenever a new device is released... explained that although the problem is now on record and well known, that acknowledgment came about a week too late for the early buyers to rely on any chance of a resolution. Told her it would help for them to acknowledge *MUCH* sooner, so buyers could factor that into their decisions to return or keep the phone. Explained that the dismissive response when I called was a huge factor in my decision to return the phone: there was no sign of hope for acknowledgment, let alone a fix.

Her only response was to read the script... yet she did say she would pass my comments along (one hand clapping? tree falling in forest?) Maybe, yet one more data point!

Last edited:

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The MUFFLED MICROPHONE issue isn't one of personal preference. This is documented on HTC.com forums:
Reporting NUMEROUS bugs, glitches, and problems - HTC TITAN

I'm a U.S. att user. I just phoned HTC at 866-449-8358 and reported the issue. They said it had not been reported before. this is BS. Hundreds are complaining online and several have said specifically that they have called HTC to report it.

---> SO I ASK: if you're a U.S. customer, please call 866-449-8358 and report it as "muffled microphone" or "muffled call quality" and describe it for them. We have to get an official answer. I hate the idea of returning the phone and getting another one with the same problem. Or getting a different phone like the Samsung.

Please say on the forums here which country you're from; interested to see if the pattern holds up that only non-European phones are affected which would point to a firmware issue.

#htctitanmuffle on Twitter.

Done. Talked to a very nice guy who sounded like he was in America somewhere. He said the issue is documented and a fix is being worked on, but no ETA.

iluvuk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
TITAN muffled mic

Ok, well I love my TITAN. Better than my iphone 4.....EXCEPT....people cant hear me. Been through the master reset, all the updates, talked to AT&T as well as HTC. Even this morning they told me this is not a known issue to have a muffled mic. I tried multiple sound tests. I have tried the tape on top mic, under aluminum case and over. Minimal changes. People cannot hear me. AT&T is sending me a replacement but I bet it won't work any better. There is a software problem or transmitter problem. I recorded my voice on a voice recorder app on the Titan and it is crystal clear. The MIC works just fine....the whole is not too small, the mic isn't damaged or defective....it works crystal clear. The voice quality on transmission through cell towers on the other hand is degraded or lost and so muffled as to be incoherent. Has anyone fixed this or had a replacement phone (titan) that solved the problem? :mad:

Reno Titan

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I received a call from HTC to follow-up the survey I completed after my call to HTC Customer Service. Back when I HAD a Titan (3rd one), I called regarding poor call quality, and the rep just dismissed the concern (not a known problem... sounds OK to me... like you have it on speaker...etc...). I directed him to forums and asked specifically for a ticket number.

By the time HTC called me today, I had returned the TITAN, so I told her exactly why. I suggested that they have a rapid-response team whenever a new device is released... explained that although the problem is now on record and well known, that acknowledgment came about a week too late for the early buyers to rely on any chance of a resolution. Told her it would help for them to acknowledge *MUCH* sooner, so buyers could factor that into their decisions to return or keep the phone. Explained that the dismissive response when I called was a huge factor in my decision to return the phone: there was no sign of hope for acknowledgment, let alone a fix.

Her only response was to read the script... yet she did say she would pass my comments along (one hand clapping? tree falling in forest?) Maybe, yet one more data point!
I have not received a replacement phone however I have read replies from people who have had several replacements with no improvement in voice quality. I called again today to check on the status of my 'expedite' ticket # on my complaint. Not much has changed except he acknowledged it was a known problem, likely a software problem but not estimate for a fix or recommendations to minimize the inconvenience of using a phone that that doesn't work! He said to check the website for updates - :mad:

njpegi

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I have not received a replacement phone however I have read replies from people who have had several replacements with no improvement in voice quality. I called again today to check on the status of my 'expedite' ticket # on my complaint. Not much has changed except he acknowledged it was a known problem, likely a software problem but not estimate for a fix or recommendations to minimize the inconvenience of using a phone that that doesn't work! He said to check the website for updates - :mad:
I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts since February. My husband has used a Blackbery for several years and just recently got the Titan. He was thrilled with the screen size and resolution for web browsing. He left on a business trip to California soon after receiving the phone and it's been a terrible experience trying to talk to him. I could barely hear him and the callse keep dropping. We were shocked because the reviews on the ATT site are outstanding, so we never expected to have any problems. But after searching the internet for Titan voice quality issues, I found a tremendous amount of problems. I did call HTC. The rep said to remove battery and reinsert the sim card and if this doesn’t fix the problem than give them a call at 866-449-8358 and they would do a hard reset on the phone. He then told me that if this didn’t work, we should take the phone to an ATT store and get a new SIM card. I'm really not sure how a new SIM card would fix voice issues and dropped calls, but he said that it would. I guess we'll find out when my husband returns next week.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2