10-10-2013 03:00 AM
152 12345 ...
tools
    what is meant by 2 years contract ..and off contract ..? i did'nt understand ..? with 2 years contract iphone 5c is $99 (16gb) and without contract $549 ..wtf ?
    can anybody tell me ?
    09-11-2013 11:21 AM
    In some countries, especially in the US and Canada, if you sign up for a contract with the mobile carrier (usually 2 year contracts) they will give you the phone for a lower (subsidized) price. So say I sign up on a 2 year contract with AT&T I will get the iPhone 5c for $99. If I don't want to sign up for 2 years I will have to buy the phone for $549.

The catch is that since the mobile carriers are cover most of the cost of the device the monthly cost for the contract is usually higher than in other countries.
    09-11-2013 11:28 AM
    5c is a waste, just get the 5s for the extra $100 on contract
    mariusmuntean and rdubmu like this.
    09-11-2013 11:34 AM
    It is head scratching to read all the articles proclaiming how 64 bit puts the iPhone above everything else. It really makes you wonder if these tech sites have some kind of financial incentive to make sure Apple is shown in a positive light.

Barely any of them have even talked about the high price for the 5C or how ridiculous the case looks.
    I imagine that some sites are influenced by advertising dollars, but I can't imagine that financial incentives are handed out directly. But yeah, it does make you wonder.

If you look at anything Apple publishes related to the iP5s, you will notice they are claiming the A7 SoC offers twice the performance of its predecessor (whatever that means). They always follow that up with a reference to the CPU being a 64 bit instead of a 32 bit design. That has been true of all the official marketing material I've seen so far. I suspect a lot of people are just imagining that a correlation exists between being "twice as fast" and "having twice as many bits"... as stupid as that sounds. I can't imagine where else the stupidity is coming from. I certainly haven't seen Apple make that false claim themselves, but it's practically everywhere else.

Whatever the reason is, I'm sure Apple has no interest in clearing up the misunderstanding, as neither Android or WP will be making that transition anytime soon. If enough clueless geeks buy into the misinformation, it will turn into a marketing advantage.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-11-2013 12:30 PM
    iFail

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk
    mpt15 likes this.
    09-11-2013 12:31 PM
    The 5C case is horrible!! Moreover the same phone as iph5 but plastic?? No thanks, even if I would buy, I would preffer an used iph5 instead of 5C.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-11-2013 12:42 PM
    Found this gem on Mashable:
    bt1cltecuaawlyi-11.jpg
    09-11-2013 12:54 PM
    Found this gem on Mashable:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BT1CLteCUAAWlYi-11.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	42889
    I want one!
    DavidinCT and xandros9 like this.
    09-11-2013 01:06 PM
    The 5C is just an iPhone 5 with a plastic case slapped on the back. Nothing new, and its certainly not cheap, just less expensive.

Apple must be smoking some serious dope if they actually think it will penetrate emerging markets.
    They get into emerging markets with these price points, they'll definitely be doing some "penetrating".
    09-11-2013 01:30 PM
    When I heard the off contract price I burst into laughter!
    Yea, same here...$599 for that ? Really ?
    09-11-2013 01:37 PM
    You do not understand. The C stands for COLOR. NOT CHEAP. It is not a budget phone, and it does not have the 64 bit chip either. And the iPhone 4S was priced the same way.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-11-2013 02:07 PM
    They get into emerging markets with these price points, they'll definitely be doing some "penetrating".
    8-)
    09-11-2013 02:15 PM
    You do not understand. The C stands for COLOR. NOT CHEAP. It is not a budget phone, and it does not have the 64 bit chip either. And the iPhone 4S was priced the same way.
    The "C" does not stand for color or cheap. It means crap. Over-priced, over-hyped, underwhelming crap.
    09-11-2013 03:12 PM
    They really messed up with the 5C. All the media were hyping up that this would be the budget iPhone so this is what people were expecting. The fact that it does look like a cheap plastic budget phone does not help support it's high price.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-11-2013 03:47 PM
    Apple is marketing toward average consumers. You will be surprised that there are so many people think their phones come with 16/32/64GB of memory :) ....

We have the 5S and a "budget" 5C. First 64-bit phones, Apple's magic, blah, blah, blah. It could be nice but not for 599$. The price point is ridiculous, so yeah, Cupertino is keeping tight with its strategy. Still the Infinity Blade III :( I'd love to have it on my Lumia.
    09-11-2013 03:56 PM
    The iPhone 5c is going to sell a billion times more than the cheapest or best w8p. With those colors and the specs of the iPhone 5 the apple die hard will eat it up then the new upgrades and the flat out sheep will go crazy for the finger print scanner.
    silly guy it will sell more of course but remember most ppl who buy phones don't buy the latest and great they buy affordable phone. Nokia making so many affordable phone puts them inline to win from the bottom up not top down. And I think it's smarter because windows phone needs a base and the easiest way is to have as many ppl buying windows phones as possible. And that's by making quality and cost friendly phones. If it was just about making the best cell phone we have the 920,925,928, and 1020. That may not be number one hands down but you can debate it. So if that formula isn't work build a base. Cuz remember people also need apps (esp official ones to be made) and as we have the windows market isn't large enough for them to spend the resources to make them so again the answer is a base. So it doesn't matter how much better or whatever the iPhone 5C is because at the end of the day if the majority of the people can't afford it they will be more likely to buy windows phones therefore creating a windows phone base therefore bring more apps and bringing more people and once that loop is continued windowsphone will be on a first name basis with android and apple. And mark my words, after windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1 catch a little steam it'll be a wrap. Cuz I don't know if you remember when ppl hated mac computer cuz they were "hard to use" and now everyone loves them. Just give it a little time u'll see
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-11-2013 03:56 PM
    One day old thread, in the wp section, has two thousand views.

And its about the iP hone....

The hardware looks tougher than current generation devices they offer, and faster specs. Speaking of looks, the No kia's will have to find a new differentiator , color is no longer it.

I could care less if the new I phones ( broke the brand name so I'm not helping them) sell, I'll enjoy the spoils of last years phones on craigslist, today.

I think ap ple has plenty of an idea...

Given the free publicity its getting here and other places, it will sell well.
    09-11-2013 03:59 PM
    silly guy it will sell more of course but remember most ppl who buy phones don't buy the latest and great they buy affordable phone. Nokia making so many affordable phone puts them inline to win from the bottom up not top down. And I think it's smarter because windows phone needs a base and the easiest way is to have as many ppl buying windows phones as possible. And that's by making quality and cost friendly phones. If it was just about making the best cell phone we have the 920,925,928, and 1020. That may not be number one hands down but you can debate it. So if that formula isn't work build a base. Cuz remember people also need apps (esp official ones to be made) and as we have the windows market isn't large enough for them to spend the resources to make them so again the answer is a base. So it doesn't matter how much better or whatever the iPhone 5C is because at the end of the day if the majority of the people can't afford it they will be more likely to buy windows phones therefore creating a windows phone base therefore bring more apps and bringing more people and once that loop is continued windowsphone will be on a first name basis with android and apple. And mark my words, after windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1 catch a little steam it'll be a wrap. Cuz I don't know if you remember when ppl hated mac computer cuz they were "hard to use" and now everyone loves them. Just give it a little time u'll see
    Vegeta has spoken!!!
    Need4Geek likes this.
    09-11-2013 04:06 PM
    The other thing is - now the 5s is 64bit none of the apps developed for it will work on the 5c - Devs are going to have to now create two versions of the app. I can see a lot of games titles being 64 bit only.
    Yeah, and I just read a thread the other day where people on WP7.8 were saying "Apple would never do this!" (drawing a line where you couldn't use apps on your older phones like MS did with WP 8/7.x) Its just about the same thing now any app where the store doesn't target a specific WP version (made for win phone 7) seems to be fine for me on 8 and app specifically targeting 8 don't work on older phones. Of course I think the biggest impacted apps would probably be games and some other calc intensive apps. You don't really need to push the boundaries of your phone's CPU/GPU just to snapchat.
    09-11-2013 06:16 PM
    Yeah, and I just read a thread the other day where people on WP7.8 were saying "Apple would never do this!" (drawing a line where you couldn't use apps on your older phones like MS did with WP 8/7.x) Its just about the same thing now any app where the store doesn't target a specific WP version (made for win phone 7) seems to be fine for me on 8 and app specifically targeting 8 don't work on older phones. Of course I think the biggest impacted apps would probably be games and some other calc intensive apps. You don't really need to push the boundaries of your phone's CPU/GPU just to snapchat.
    Backward compatibility isn't a WP7.x/WP8 creation. How many users were left in the dust when FroYo came out and apps weren't compatible pre-Eclair?
    09-11-2013 07:26 PM
    I think the 5c is meant to replace the 5 as the $99 on contract option and not necessarily to enter the market as a budget alternative for price conscious people and developing markets. The iPhone 5 was probably too expensive in manufacturing to sell at the $99 price point that the previous generation model normally sells at, so they made a plastic version. The off contract price is too high for most people to consider buying it over the iPhone 5 in my opinion. As much as it looks like the 620, I don't think the 5c is designed to compete against it or similar models. A lot was assumed in blogs and rumor sites before launch, but I don't Apple's intent is to have the 5c serve as a market share expander in nations whose carriers eschew subsidized pricing. Rather, it is to preserve margins for their mid-tier option.
    edoug likes this.
    09-11-2013 09:16 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves here: Apple has never really targeted the people who buy phones off-contract. The 5C *is* their budget-minded option, for consumers who buy all their phones on-contract. And they're going to sell... so... many... 5Cs. They will probably sell more 5Cs at $99 with a two year contract than Samsung, HTC, and Nokia has sold Windows Phones in total. We can sit here on our Windows Phones on Windows Phone Central and laugh at the off-contract pricing and snicker at how the 5C is clearly influenced by Nokia's color options and make fun of the people who buy the 5C, but... the reality is that this phone is going to sell like hotcakes.
    tgp likes this.
    09-11-2013 09:27 PM
    Can someone please go smack Apple in the face. This is getting downright ridiculous.
    bryantest and Need4Geek like this.
    09-11-2013 09:56 PM
    Can someone please go smack Apple in the face. This is getting downright ridiculous.
    Well they said Tim Cook is the Apple equivalent of Steve Ballmer; now we are seeing why LMAO
    BIGPADDY and xandros9 like this.
    09-11-2013 10:49 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves here: Apple has never really targeted the people who buy phones off-contract. The 5C *is* their budget-minded option, for consumers who buy all their phones on-contract. And they're going to sell... so... many... 5Cs. They will probably sell more 5Cs at $99 with a two year contract than Samsung, HTC, and Nokia has sold Windows Phones in total. We can sit here on our Windows Phones on Windows Phone Central and laugh at the off-contract pricing and snicker at how the 5C is clearly influenced by Nokia's color options and make fun of the people who buy the 5C, but... the reality is that this phone is going to sell like hotcakes.

No doubt it will help them in North America but not so much in the rest of the world where they are losing market share quite fast.
    09-11-2013 11:32 PM
152 12345 ...