Does anyone have it in their hand (wrist) yet?

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Got mine an hour ago. Still playing, though I did stop by Starbucks and tried out the paying. It worked, but the scanner at this SB was vertical, so I had to take off the Band to get it to register. The guy behind the counter asked me if it was the Apple Watch. :)

Of course he did, because just like 95% of consumers, he's an ignorant moron and thinks every phone is an iphone, every tablet is an ipad, every smartwatch is a iwatch.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Of course he did, because just like 95% of consumers, he's an ignorant moron and thinks every phone is an iphone, every tablet is an ipad, every smartwatch is a iwatch.
I cannot wait for a comment like "is the iWatch" then I will just smile and say : "No, I am not waiting for an expensive toy. This is the Microsoft Band. Technology that works and you can actually buy." Then show it off little more and go my merry ways :)

norir82

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you hold down the "action" button when you power on the band it'll go into a firmware update but I can't seem to finish the process. It just shoes two moving arrows pointing in opposite directions without finishing. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't know what else to do.

gp2792

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
There is a setting called "Watch Mode" that you need to turn on. it is off by default. That keeps a clock and date always visible.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Have one and took it out of the box, plugged it into my 2520, set it up in 2 minutes. Added my Starbucks card code, went into a Starbucks and used it for a purchase, worked like a charm! The barista said, "How did you do that?"

I told her about it.... this is what MS needs..... now where's my Peets coffee app, target, or any credit card.... would love to have my wallet on my arm.... oh, and how about the MS collar for my dog?

Oh and BTW, when I bought mine the guy said I would need to charge it but after set up I realized it was fully charged!!
Anyone hive there's fully charged OOTB?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

The only ignorance I have seen so far is by the person who chooses to call 95% of people morons. It must be pretty lonely living in that perfect world on your own.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have it. Ended up with a L size...so far so good. I did get the Starbucks card & screen protector, but did not buy the protection plan yet. I generally do not wear watches as they're always ripping arm hairs out...so far, none of that.

It is not a small device...that's for sure!

It paired & is working fine with my HTC 8XT.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I wish. But I've been delayed all day. Has everyone's Microsoft Store seemed well stocked on these? It'll be another hour before I get to go attempt to pick one up.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I wish. But I've been delayed all day. Has everyone's Microsoft Store seemed well stocked on these? It'll be another hour before I get to go attempt to pick one up.

I was actually surprised how many people were buying them when I went around noon to pick mine up. They sold 3 while I was there, and about 5 others came in to look at them specifically. But I didn't get the impression that they were getting low on stock, so hopefully you will get one!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So if I wanted to buy this doohickey, what would be the best approach- strap it on my right wrist and try to operate it with my mouth, or forego heart rate monitoring by putting it on my left claw?

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_QxTPxT5.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_QxTPxT5.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 6

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was actually surprised how many people were buying them when I went around noon to pick mine up. They sold 3 while I was there, and about 5 others came in to look at them specifically. But I didn't get the impression that they were getting low on stock, so hopefully you will get one!
Hope so! I'm on my way now!

EDIT: Son of a b... they were out of it. Apparently they got wiped out as soon as the store opened. Honestly didn't expect it to be that popular :/

Last edited:

John Lawlor

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Bought mine this morning - so far like what I see. Have questions re: notifications but will figure it out eventually. Went for a walk, steps worked perfectly.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So if I wanted to buy this doohickey, what would be the best approach- strap it on my right wrist and try to operate it with my mouth, or forego heart rate monitoring by putting it on my left claw?

Maybe a large would fit just to the left of your watch, as long as the sensors touch your skin?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have an actual question for people who own the large - what is the smallest wrist measurement it goes down to? My wrist fits in a medium, but it might be nice to have a bit of leeway

AdeptMaven

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I got the band yesterday and have been wearing it for a full 24hours now (minus a few minutes from showers). I've worn it both ways (screen on the outside of the wrist and on the inside. It's definitely more comfortable and easier to navigate when the screen is on the inside of your wrist but it's not impossible if you wear it facing outward. The heart rate sensor is on the clasp so I feel like your heart rate is more accurate when the screen is on the outer wrist (which places the sensor near the radial artery) but it still gets your pulse regardless of which orientation.

Navigating is easy enough. The Start Screen/Me tile Shows the time and you can toggle through your HR, distance traveled, date, # of steps taken, and calories burned. swipe from left to right on the me tile to see the battery indicator and whether you have the heart rate monitor and Bluetooth turned on. Swiping from right to left to see notification tiles of which you're allowed 12 or 13. Depending on which tiles you have pinned it can be really useful (weather, workout, phone call) to somewhat annoying (having messenger pinned was just constant buzzing because of a group chat I was in). Also, notifications are only actionable as soon as the arrive. When you first get a text message you have the option to send a preset quick response but if you miss that initial window, you can only view the message and must respond from your phone. And unfortunately viewing messages on Band does not clear the notifications on your phone but hopefully they will fix that in the future.

The fitness features are great. From the app you can choose from 99 different workouts which show you the breakdown of the circuit, and has videos showing each of the exercises if you are not familiar with them. I haven't looked at each in detail but all the workouts seem to be upper body, full body, or running. There is not strength workout solely focused on legs, that I saw, which is a shame considering sooooo many people skip leg day :( . Once a workout is picked you can download it to your band and the band will walk you through it. It tells you how many reps you are supposed to do, counts down the rest time, and shows you the next exercise before hand so that you can set up during your rest period and not waste time. When I bought it, the representative told me that the band was able to count reps for you. Perhaps that is coming in a future update, but that is not currently the case. Viewing your post workout summary (on the app) is very helpful. it shows you the total duration of your workout (with the option of a detailed view to see how long it took you to do each exercise/circuit if you chose a predetermined workout), how many calories you burned (how many from fat and from carbs), and heart rate information (peak, avg, low, Ending HR and HR 1min and 2mins after you ended). And i'm not sure how they calculate it but they give an estimated recovery time (I did a 30 min workout this morning and my estimated time for recovery was 3 hours and 56min).

Lastly, the sleep monitor works well. Unfortunately it doesn't keep a log, so if you track a night's sleep and then decide to track a nap or something, you will only be able to view the nap. Hopefully in the future they will keep a log so that as one makes improvements to their health and fitness they can see improvements in their sleep patterns. Sleep section tells you your resting heart rate, how long it took you to go to sleep (measured from when you pressed the button saying im going to sleep), how much of that time was deep restful sleep, and how long you were in light sleep.
Overall for their first foray into fitness Microsoft has done a surprisingly good job. there's still a lot of areas where they can improve the device and the app but it's a really good start. I hope they merge the health app with the msn health&fitness app so that you can track calories consumed and calories burned in one place.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it does seem a little weird that you say it doesn't keep a log....maybe a history button will pop up once you sleep a few nights

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes