Can you see your running pace while running on the band?

davcauf

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Looking for an early adopter to answer a question for me. I read the online docs on the band, but it does not mention if you can see your running pace while running on the band. Is this possible?

jatwo

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another question on the same topic: if it does display your pace on the band while running, is it instantaneous pace, average pace, or both?

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I just took a walk outside to test the running features for you.

The band took about 15-20 seconds to get a GPS lock, might be faster next time now that it knows my location. While you are in running mode it shows your duration, heart rate, and calories burned. If you swipe down you get a screen that shows GPS status, pace (instantaneous) and distance. This second screen stays for about 10 seconds or until you swipe back up. When you end the workout it shows you a screen with total distance, calories, and average pace, time, etc. It seemed to work pretty well, not as nice as my GPS running watch, but I think it will get the job done.

However I am still having problems with it staying locked onto my heart rate. It can only seem to hold a lock for a few seconds before losing it again. So it seems I am only getting a heart rate update every 30 seconds or so. I just got off the phone with Microsoft tech support and they were very helpful but ultimately unable to fix the issue.

jatwo

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the response! Going back and forth between this and a more official GPS watch for running

cardingtr

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a reason why you want the calories burned while running. Is there a setting where you can choose what to display while running? I just want the distance, lap/ current pace and timer or lap timer. Is this possible?

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't see a reason why you want the calories burned while running. Is there a setting where you can choose what to display while running? I just want the distance, lap/ current pace and timer or lap timer. Is this possible?

I was just about to respond and say "Sorry you can't change it" but then I saw this little edit button! You can pick 3 metrics to display on the primary screen. You have the choice of: Duration, Heart Rate, Calories, Distance, and Pace. To change the settings go into the manage tiles screen on your phone, and click the little pencil button next to Run.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at the available metrics, and it's disappointing to see that there is only one "Pace." Learning here that it is instantaneous pace, where I really want the average. That one missing metric may have me running with my Nike GPS watch still...

cardingtr

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Same thought here. I have a Garmin 620 and wants to jump to MSFT band but the instantaneous pace only option is a downer. A lap mode with average lap pace display option would we very helpful in a run or race. I hope future upgrades will make this an option. Its just software metrics.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You can configure what is displayed in Running mode in the app. Choices include:

wp_ss_20141031_0002.jpg

elbweb

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Also when in running mode, do the screen stays on running mode, turns off or grays out? Or do you have options how the display behaves? Thanks! I wanted it to display your running metrics at all times even if it grays out to save energy.

By default, when running/working out the screen will stay on during the whole activity.

You can use the power button to toggle the screen off, while it's still working underneath, toggling it again to turn the display back on.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Thanks! Also when in running mode, do the screen stays on running mode, turns off or grays out? Or do you have options how the display behaves? Thanks! I wanted it to display your running metrics at all times even if it grays out to save energy.

It stays on. I imagine you can turn it off with the Power button, can't see why it would not work.

splindeman

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Does it give you split times / lap times while you are running, such as after every mile? If so, does it vibrate to let you know when you've reached each mile?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What can it track if you're running on a treadmill? I know these hardwares track you via GPS, but will it now you're running?
You put it in run mode to track the above stuff.

Re: GPS when you put it in Run mode, it asks if you want GPS on/off. For treadmill, obviously choose off ;) Other than, it can track motion of your arms/heart rate/calories/duration, etc.

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Same thought here. I have a Garmin 620 and wants to jump to MSFT band but the instantaneous pace only option is a downer. A lap mode with average lap pace display option would we very helpful in a run or race. I hope future upgrades will make this an option. Its just software metrics.

I have a Suunto Ambit 1 with the HR monitor which I use to gather and track all of my workouts. I look at these "wearables", "lifestyle monitors" or whatever you want to call them as augments to my Suunto. These peripherals are good to look at your overall daily activity, including sleep and food consumption. For the purpose of tracking your workouts and having access to mountains of metrics I believe one would still need an actual fitness watch such as a Suunto, Garmin, Nike, Polaris etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon