Can the MS Band firmware be updated?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From the product info on the website it looks like the USB cable is only for charging. Does the mean the band software cannot be updated by the user? Or can it be updated over bluetooth?

​I'm getting curious about this as people are beginning to report software glitches.

Edit: although I have to say, that's a whole lot of pins on the connector for only being a charging cable.

en-INTL-PDP-Kronos_InTheBox_Cable.jpg

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
During the initial setup it said it was looking for band updates so I believe it can be updated without a PC
Huh, interesting. My guess is that in case of an update it would prompt the user to connect to a PC rather than actually updating over bluetooth. Safer (power available) and faster. I guess we'll see in the coming months, or maybe a beta tester knows?

kipters

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
yes, the device can be updated, and the Windows phone app has code for updating the device firmware
I've got my hands on the firmware and I'm trying to dissect it right now

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yes, the device can be updated, and the Windows phone app has code for updating the device firmware
I've got my hands on the firmware and I'm trying to dissect it right now
Wow, so even update over bluetooth seems possible. Great. Hope they use this to give us a 'bike mode' asap! :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Fitbit, Misfit Shine can all update their firmware OTA through the app; Band behaves the same. Should be no need to tether to a PC.

Raul Huerta

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
It did updated though my windows phone (lumia Icon) but first it asked me to update my phone to the latest version of windows 8.1 for my phone that is. Then it did the band update.
You can use it as a bicycle tracker aswell. Just use the running tile it has built gps and will give you total distance average low and high speed, up to 99mph. you don't need to bring your phone with you. pair it after you come back from your ride.:winktongue:

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just checked for firmware update for my band. not getting anything. software version is 1.1.1933.
also no updates are shown for the band on Microsoft website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital