Microsoft is listening...

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying, but look at the Apple Watch... announced last month and release date is unknown (possibly Spring 2015). Compare that to the Microsoft Band... announced and released on the same day.

Yes, yes, yes - I know that it's US only and in limited stock, but you have to start the change somewhere. Now remember when Microsoft / Nokia announced the 930 and everyone (inc. me) was complaining about the delay... well I hope we are seeing a change now.

What do you think... discuss... :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Am I impressed by the lack of support for anything outside of the US, no, if that's what you trying to get at?

Not just with the Band but everything else. MS is way too US centric. Understandable to a point but other brands are able to support worldwide, what's wrong with MS?

As for the Band thing, so they kept quiet and released something quickly, to the US. So what?

Impress me by releasing a flagship phone that I can buy out of contract here in the UK at the same time they release it in the US and I'll be impressed.

Until then, no, they're not listening, no I'm not impressed, no I don't see any change. Where's WP8.1 Update 1? Where's Update 2? Where's Denim? What's the hold up?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Am I impressed by the lack of support for anything outside of the US, no, if that's what you trying to get at?

Not just with the Band but everything else. MS is way too US centric. Understandable to a point but other brands are able to support worldwide, what's wrong with MS?

As for the Band thing, so they kept quiet and released something quickly, to the US. So what?

Impress me by releasing a flagship phone that I can buy out of contract here in the UK at the same time they release it in the US and I'll be impressed.

Until then, no, they're not listening, no I'm not impressed, no I don't see any change. Where's WP8.1 Update 1? Where's Update 2? Where's Denim? What's the hold up?

I think Microsoft learned from the Surface RT writedown that mass manufacturing items isn't the right thing to do. With the MS Band they manufactured a small amount in case it was a flop, which it wasn't and now they can ramp up production to ship it worldwide. It's not just availability though, look at the partners in the US and Microsoft have to do the same thing, getting partners, in every country it's available in.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft learned from the Surface RT writedown that mass manufacturing items isn't the right thing to do. With the MS Band they manufactured a small amount in case it was a flop, which it wasn't and now they can ramp up production to ship it worldwide. It's not just availability though, look at the partners in the US and Microsoft have to do the same thing, getting partners, in every country it's available in.

So they're afraid of flops and I'm supposed to be confident in their products. Yeah, makes me want to support them.

Going by what you said, in what way is MS doing better and 'listening' as the OP indicated?

How does MS releasing the Band in the US improve anything for MS outside of the US? Or support for outside the US?

How about them putting resources into a half decent flagship phone that I and others want to buy instead of putting them into a US only product that they were afraid would flop?

I await your point of view, if you have one.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So they're afraid of flops and I'm supposed to be confident in their products. Yeah, makes me want to support them.

Going by what you said, in what way is MS doing better and 'listening' as the OP indicated?

How does MS releasing the Band in the US improve anything for MS outside of the US? Or support for outside the US?

I await your point of view, if you have one.

Did I say that Microsoft are listening? Did I state that releasing it in the US only would improve things outside the US? No, I didn't. It's a well known fact that you don't mass produce new products when there's a possibility that, just like the Surface RT, you may have to writedown or even worse write off stock that doesn't sell. That's just good business sense.

Not only that but don't you think it's far better to release an item like this in one country first to get feedback, fix bugs and issues in the hardware and software and then release it worldwide. Again, that's just good business sense.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site

How could you possibly interpret his post as trying to ask whether you are impressed by the lack of support outside the US?

If you want to answer his question, answer his question. If you don't, then don't. But don't pretend he was asking something completely different than he was asking so that you can make a completely different point.

In response to the OP's question: I don't believe the approach to the Band comes from "listening" to anyone, but rather shows that they are learning from the financial debacle that was the Surface RT. The RT was a great device at the time (I bought three for my family), but it was priced too high to get traction, and there just weren't enough people interested at that price. Also, there was enough delay between the announcement and the actual release that the enthusiasm had died and people had found reasons to complain before it even hit the shelves. MS went all in, and had a billion dollar write-down because of it.

The smartwatch market is still new, and manufacturers are still trying to guess at what will appeal to consumers. I think MS is wise to quickly dip its toe in the water, fine tune the product, and then make a bigger push once the picture is more clear.

I think Apple made a huge mistake with the iWatch. First, I think they made a huge mistake by selling a product that requires an iPhone. Despite the hype, the iPhone has roughly 1/3 of the US smartphone market. Sixty-two percent of the smartphone market is Android users who have no use for a watch that requires a different phone. Apple's share of the global smartphone market is even smaller than its share of the US market. So their first mistake is cutting off the vast majority of potential customers.

The second mistake they made is overpricing. (The same way MS overpriced the Surface RT.) All market surveys indicate that $300 is generally the limit of what people will pay for a smartwatch.

The third mistake they made is the 1-day battery. (The same way the Surface RT and original Surface Pro suffered from below-par battery life.)

The fourth mistake they made is failing to release it in time for Christmas. (The same way the original Surface Pro failed to hit shelves before Christmas.)

The fifth mistake they made is unveiling the product several months before it hits the shelves. (The same way MS announced the original Surface line months before hitting the shelves.) There are too many good devices coming out between now and then at good prices, and the iWatch just doesn't have any compelling features to justify the high price.

The sixth mistake they made is failing to make a compelling argument for people to buy a new kind of product. Most people don't wear watches anymore. Getting used to them is uncomfortable. The health and fitness crowd will buy Fitbits and MS Bands because they offer something new if you're into health/fitness. But there's a reason people stopped wearing watches when smartphones came out -- the smartphone rendered them largely unnecessary. Apple hasn't given a compelling reason to put one back on.

I predict the iWatch will be an iFlop. I think the whole smartwatch market will be a bust save for the health and fitness crowd. But there's a good size market of health and fitness consumers out there, and companies that tailor to those consumers can sell some products. FitBit is doing well, and MS is off to a good start. The iWatch, IMHO, simply misunderstands the market.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Whoa! Didn't realise I'd kick off quite a debate. Could those in the US answer a question for me (as I'm in the UK)... Was there a lot of media buzz in the US for the Band - i.e. News on TV, editorials, adverts etc. I'm curious to see what kind of waves this 'surprise' released created, compared with what normally happens when Apple releases something new. I suspect that it wasn't as much as we all know that the media outlets love Apple too much and find every opportunity to bash MS... or am I wrong in this case?

BTW - in the UK we got some online coverage on BBC News and Daily Mail. They were neutral to slightly positive on the release in terms of let's wait and see. I'm surprised that the headlines didn't read "MS steals the show from Apple with a pre-Christmas same day release!!!"

Anyway, I'm just saying...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Whoa! Didn't realise I'd kick off quite a debate. Could those in the US answer a question for me (as I'm in the UK)... Was there a lot of media buzz in the US for the Band - i.e. News on TV, editorials, adverts etc. I'm curious to see what kind of waves this 'surprise' released created, compared with what normally happens when Apple releases something new. I suspect that it wasn't as much as we all know that the media outlets love Apple too much and find every opportunity to bash MS... or am I wrong in this case?

BTW - in the UK we got some online coverage on BBC News and Daily Mail. They were neutral to slightly positive on the release in terms of let's wait and see. I'm surprised that the headlines didn't read "MS steals the show from Apple with a pre-Christmas same day release!!!"

Anyway, I'm just saying...

Well, considering it sold out pretty much everywhere within about 24 hours I take that as a positive sign despite what the UK press have stated. I'm also from the UK.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, considering it sold out pretty much everywhere within about 24 hours I take that as a positive sign despite what the UK press have stated. I'm also from the UK.

Thanks, but we know it was sold out, perhaps that may have been due to an initial low number of units available. I'm more interested in understanding what the 'media buzz' was like as per my post above...

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Did I say that Microsoft are listening? Did I state that releasing it in the US only would improve things outside the US? No, I didn't. It's a well known fact that you don't mass produce new products when there's a possibility that, just like the Surface RT, you may have to writedown or even worse write off stock that doesn't sell. That's just good business sense.

Not only that but don't you think it's far better to release an item like this in one country first to get feedback, fix bugs and issues in the hardware and software and then release it worldwide. Again, that's just good business sense.

Agree, lots of competition....why not test the waters first? If Microsoft said they don't plan on ever releasing it to the world (if it did great in the US), that would be different...plus there are a lot of people who want the Apple watch because its Apple, so they won't consider Microsoft because, well, it's Microsoft...

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm rather curious about fact what "low number of units " really means. You know it can be placebo effect. It can be marketing. Or just msft really trying something new. However it was, it was easy good move. I don't want watches such as iWatch. Smartwatches are too young and doesn't offer me that much cause I'm living in mid Europe and support for lot of services is house terrible. But ms band just looks awesome cause I'm the sport guy. Hiking, cycling and lot more.

If it comes to price it's a little bit high for me, so I wouldn't buy any so far, but the concept is pretty much better than the one apple made.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm rather curious about fact what "low number of units " really means.
It varied from store to store. Some had around 80 in each size (so 240), others had less, some had more. Those around Redmond seemed to have the most, for obvious reasons.

In speaking with store employees, they have been very positive about sales, noting high customer satisfaction (very little in returns, which are overwhelmingly for wrong size) and positive turnout. This is off-the-record inquiries, btw, so they're not giving me a sales pitch, they know better.

I think for perception, the MS Band is doing very well.

BTW, I hear it is MS exclusive throughout the holiday season, after which it'll go to retailers like Best Buy. My guess is after New Years.

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I thought the numbers would be higher, so it really seems like ms was trying out the waters and hopefully full shipment will come before Christmas. That would make sense.

However, the speed it was released and shipped and sold is just awesome. Hopefully we'll see that with phones and other stuff as well, because the time from announcing Icon/930 to shopping it worldwide was fail.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Go read the comments on Apple Insider they were impressed that Microsoft had this band and yes they poked comments about their own watch which still isn't out but overall I saw many that were impressed and some that said they wish they still had Steve Ballmer working for them. One thing I am happy with about the band is that if I switch platforms I can still enjoy the use of it. I also LOVE the fact that my phone doesn't have to be in my hand should I decide to go for a walk or a run I can just sync when I get home. I will admit the iPhone 6 Plus and Watch have my interest and that is because at this point in time there is no honest to goodness in my opinion flagship phone that can replace my 1020. Was very happy to see we can now pay with out phones but only if we have certain credit cards wish that was open to more cards but this could keep me with Windows if the Flagship appears. My contract is up in September

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, Microsoft is an American company so it makes sense to launch here first. How many threads have to be hijacked by your belly-aching and complaining. #proudtobeanAmerican

WillGrey

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I think they're playing MS is playing it smart... I'm sure it's tempting for them internally to keep resting on past laurels and say "hey we're still a big company, let's just do this worldwide from the start". I think this move just says they're putting egos aside, and making smart, measured, strategic decisions.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I doubt MS is changing. They made it clear that it was launched like this, because they wanted to have a controlled environment and where better to do that, then in your own backyard, but if... just if you're right, then I welcome this change with open arms..

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I think they're playing MS is playing it smart... I'm sure it's tempting for them internally to keep resting on past laurels and say "hey we're still a big company, let's just do this worldwide from the start". I think this move just says they're putting egos aside, and making smart, measured, strategic decisions.

Here's a quote from a Microsoft Band manager in a Seattle Times blog:

"This is a real pivot change for us,” said Matt Barlow, a manager on the project. “We talked with Satya quite a bit about it and said, ‘Hey, we can wait for a year to two years and try to line everything up or we can say what’s most important.’ ’’

They decided it’s most important to get into the market quickly with a product that has enough of a wow-factor to get started.

“Getting people using it and providing feedback is going to shape what the bigger and bolder experiences are going to be, versus having a bunch of people in a room taking a guess about things,” Barlow said.

Source: blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2014/11/03/with-microsoft-band-a-sense-of-companys-health/

More Google-like risk taking? The m.o. at MS really does appear to be changing under the new CEO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddacker