VO2 Max calculation

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I Noticed the VO2 calculation on the website. Mine shows at 53.3, which seems very high. I do moderate exercise 45-60 minutes a day. Googling I saw one of the inputs to this is often the mile time. I never used the run/walk tile for running. I either used it for hiking or for biking (prior to the bike tile being added). I'm wondering if the early bikes using the run/walk tile are affecting this. Didn't know if anyone one else will see this. I'm doing a 10k in a month. Maybe when I do that it will come back down if it uses more recent runs vs. old ones.

William Grafton1

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Interesting....I've noticed that at least on the grading of exercises that it didn't go all the way back in time to do that, but only graded my workouts in the last 2 weeks. It would be nice to be able to tell it to exclude some from the calculations.

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I just tested out the "export your data" option under my name in the dashboard. I found a column named "Calculated_V02_Max" but even back from when I first bought the band at end of October, the columns is blank for every activity.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
If you're not seeing it yet, I think it will show up on the dashboard where it currently says "Your current fitness level (etc.)". Should show up after you show it a few good workouts.

anon(9312357)

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok thank you both. Nothing is showing up yet for me. Maybe after a few more workouts and going for a bike ride today so hopefully I will see it soon.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I don't see mine either on the Dashboard. However, I do see it when I export my data to Excel and go to the second tab ("Activity Summary" -- thanks David). Sadly, it's blank all the way down.

EDIT: of course Nate and David beat me to it!!!

I'm going to speculate and suggest you need a minimum number of workouts since the last major update (didn't I read that somewhere?). I'd guess that David and his daily workouts just got himself there faster than the rest of us slugs!

-Matt

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of it, along with bubble. I'm not 'elite' don't think it is calculating correctly. I do two rides a day typically for commuting to work (total of 35 minutes) and then sometimes do free exercise (elliptical) in the evening for 30-45 minutes. I haven't used the walk/run tile since the biking tile showed up. I had used it in the past for biking and for hiking, not really for running.

4-30-2015 8-35-03 AM.png

If you click the "i" you get a box that says VO2 max refers to the maximum volume of oxygen one can utilize during exerise. It is the primary indicator of cardiovascular fitness. Increasing training intensity and volume are the two key way sto improve VO2 max.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you're not seeing it yet, I think it will show up on the dashboard where it currently says "Your current fitness level (etc.)". Should show up after you show it a few good workouts.

This is pretty funny as I've been training for a marathon running 5x per week since January, but I don't have enough workouts to warrant a rating yet. Clearly it isn't going by historical data, only new stuff.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
This is pretty funny as I've been training for a marathon running 5x per week since January, but I don't have enough workouts to warrant a rating yet. Clearly it isn't going by historical data, only new stuff.
If it's using the same data that's been around...hard to figure why we weren't "grandfathered"! Oh well, if it's as off as the OP suggests maybe ignorance is bliss.

​-Matt

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of it, along with bubble. I'm not 'elite' don't think it is calculating correctly. I do two rides a day typically for commuting to work (total of 35 minutes) and then sometimes do free exercise (elliptical) in the evening for 30-45 minutes. I haven't used the walk/run tile since the biking tile showed up. I had used it in the past for biking and for hiking, not really for running.

My guess would be that you are "elite" compared to other band users.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see this expanded on a little in future updates as even though I have been steadily increasing my workouts lately, my VO2 Max measurement has stayed the same.
I have been using it while going for long walks on the beach with my dogs to track how far I go, perhaps this is offsetting some of the more strenuous workouts at the gym. Yesterday I did a 2 hour workout at the gym, pretty much flat out on cardio machines and then weight training and it hasn't made one change.

I know its just a guide, but if its not changing then I don't see the point of it.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see this expanded on a little in future updates as even though I have been steadily increasing my workouts lately, my VO2 Max measurement has stayed the same.
I think the insight here with the most punch has been that you need the Band to catch the 1-minute and 2-minute heart rate readings post-workout. In that case, how do yours look? Mine started out fine, but in recent weeks they've become more and more elusive.

-Matt

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the insight here with the most punch has been that you need the Band to catch the 1-minute and 2-minute heart rate readings post-workout. In that case, how do yours look? Mine started out fine, but in recent weeks they've become more and more elusive.

-Matt

Matt, lately it seems like I can't get 1 or 2 minute post workout hr to save me........or even 'ending' hr for that matter. I always go directly to the 'ME' tile and get a lock, and hold it at least until my Garmin watch signals that it has my 2 minute reading. Then when I check the Health dashboard later, no ending, no 1 minute, no 2 minute. I get the feeling I must be doing something wrong, but what? Should I just be pausing the workout without selecting either resume or end until 2 minutes passes? That doesn't seem right either.

I'm getting my V02 calc. through Garmin anyway, so it doesn't really matter, but its frustrating that it doesn't seem to work.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Same here. For the last several workouts, it seems the harder I try to "get" the 1/2 min readings (by going over to the Me tile and forcing a read) the worse it gets. I'm nearing the conclusion that: OK, I just finished running, and it's been tracking my HR reasonably well for the last 30 minutes...perhaps the HR algorithm has a short-term "locking" mechanism where it assumes whatever movement pattern you've been doing (i.e., the context of the workout) is still in effect during cool down.

Applying that somewhat perverse logic, I've thought "Oh to hell with it" and just did my cool-down walks as normal. And sure enough, over the last workout or two I'm getting a bit more consistent 1/2 min readings. Not perfect, but ridiculously better than the failure-to-lock-at-all-for-5-minutes I was seeing by using the Me-tile method and standing still, while desperately groping at a non-responsive screen with sweaty fingers! Who knows? The only thing I'm sure of is Band 2.0 will be better. :wink:

​-Matt

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

-Matt
A bit hit & miss, some have no readings, some have both and some have just the 1min
It looks like it is more successful when finishing with a high heart rate, but there are still some exceptions for that so I can't get a good read on it
I will try to finish a couple more runs at full pace rather than a cool down on the final stretch to see if I start getting more readings

Kylesh12

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I am getting so frustrated :angry:with the 1 and 2 minute not registering after a workout. I think that when this Band dies, I will move on to something else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes