Golfing with the Band Review

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Great review. I've used the band on about 7 different courses and love it. I do notice that sometimes the auto shot is not totally accurate, but as you said, swiping is super easy; just be sure to check the score while walking off the green to keep your score totally accurate. I'm real excited for TaylorMade to add the analytics part. The only thing I'd like to see (not sure how easy it would be to implement) is a way to mark which club you use on each shot, so when they add the analytics you can see detailed info on each club.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly I took a lesson and had my watch on one arm and the band on the other. The pro used them to demonstrate how far apart my wrists were. Now it is a great help when I check the club to glance down at them, and has greatly improved my swing!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Wow, that's nice. I was bragging about the band and this app to a golfer buddy of mine and he asked that question, now I know.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's nice. I was bragging about the band and this app to a golfer buddy of mine and he asked that question, now I know.

As one poster above noted, you need to be sure that auto shot is turned on and wear it on your lead arm (left arm for righties, right arm for lefties.)

Erik Novikoff

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I played a round today, noticed a few things.

1. If you are playing with the band on your lead hand, the auto tracking feature seemed to work best with the display screen on the bottom of the wrist. I am a right handed golfer and I had it on my left wrist with the display on the bottom of my wrist when I started and it tracked the auto swing very well. I then moved the display to the top of my left wrist for the next 3 holes and it stopped auto tracking my swings (probably due to the orientation of the accelorometer for tracking purposes). It seems to think I am swinging when the band sees accelorometer movement from the end of the display to the microphone side of the display (which would follow the left bottom wrist during a swing). To test out that therory, I moved the band to the top of my right wrist (chase hand in my swing) and the shot tracking worked like a champ again. Keeping in the spirit of testing, I then turned the band to the bottom of my right wrist after 3 holes and noticed the tracking stopped. For me I like to see the display like a normal watch, so I finished my round with the band on the top of my right wrist and had no issues.

2. GPS. When I started the round I locked in the GPS and stated playing. Took me a little bit to figure out to press the action button when I got to my ball to get the yardage to the green to show up. I did notice (and this may be course specific) that I only got yardage for Center and Back of the green, Front of the green yardage was always 0 (zero). While I was receiving GPS data, it was able to identify that I moved on to the next hole and changed holes for me automatically. After the 3rd hole, I seemed to have lost the GPS data, as I no longer was getting yardage to the green anytime I pressed the action button. I had to move to manual hole tracking as the band could not tell I was moving to the next hole since it was no longer receiving GPS data. It still tracked my swings without issue, just that I had to make sure I advanced the hole otherwise it would add that swing to the last holes score. My only gripe is that I could not find out why the band stopped receiving GPS data. There was no screen or options that I could look at to see how many satellites the band was receiving from. I assume it got caught in a loop of trying to validate GPS satellites and therefore drained my battery while I was playing the remaining holes. Before I reached the 16th Tee, I received the "Plug Me In" message as the batter had drained to 10% (I started with a fully charged band just before the round started).

3. I did want to try and get to the band's settings while I was in the round (for debugging purposes) and did notice that once you start the game, there is no way to get to the main screen to access other tiles without ending the round (if you can do it, I don't know how and that could be a user error issue).

I am waiting for Taylormade to get the website working so I can see what data I did get and how it will be displayed for game analysis.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My review is very different than the original one. I've only played one round, but found numerous issues:
1) GPS for the course I played was 100% wrong. The closest I ever got to the green was 500 yds. Most of the time I was more like 1000 yds. At one point, I was 1700 yds from the hole. Yes, the GPS locked. Yes, I had selected the right course. There's another course connected to the one I was on, but the score card was accurate. Because of this, I had to manually select each hole as none of the tee detection occurred.
2) Shot detection was good for full swing. I don't believe it ever registered a single putt that I made. I also noticed that if a practice swing ever hit the ground, about 50% of the time, it registered it as a shot.
3) the post round statistics are nice, but will certainly be much better once the Taylormade app kicks in.

Clearly my poor experience was based off the fact that the course GPS was off. Hopefully they can get that fixed, or I can get out an play another round (I don't get out much these days).

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
That sucks! Gps has been excellent for me. One addition problem I came across yesterday. I started on the back yesterday and had to move it manually to hole 10 after the tee shot. Autoshot never was able to register shots. Seems like I had this problem before if I started in mid hole instead of starting on the tee box. Anyone else had this problem?

Brian Smith27

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I started on the 10th tee and the GPS locked in. I moved to the first to play with friends and my band locked into the 1st hole without a problem.
As my band locks into the tee boxes as I go around the course, I would imagine that providing you start at a recognised tee box you should not have a problem.

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Looks like myroundpro is about to go live. I was able to log into the website today. Several things not working yet but rounds did show up.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
When you launch the Golf tile on your band it'll show the course and say 'double press action button and go.' instead of double tapping, swipe and you'll see 'auto shot.' I'm not sure how to enable it once a round has started.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Apple watch has a similar app? It would be great if this was unique to the Microsoft Band, but seems unlikely.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I used the golf app yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm still not clear on how the app can tell the difference between a practice swing and a "real" swing but on the back nine the app performed flawlessly in this regard. I do have a couple of questions, however; first, the course I played had some adjacent teeing areas (older course) and the app gps locked into hole 10 instead of hole 3. Is there an obvious way to unlock it and then lock it on the correct hole? Because I wasn't able to figure that out, I needed to go back later and correct the score card but couldn't figure out how to edit the score card on the windows phone. No doubt it's something ridiculously easy, but I couldn't get from here to there.

Looking forward to the gopro website going live.

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
So, I used the golf app yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm still not clear on how the app can tell the difference between a practice swing and a "real" swing but on the back nine the app performed flawlessly in this regard. I do have a couple of questions, however; first, the course I played had some adjacent teeing areas (older course) and the app gps locked into hole 10 instead of hole 3. Is there an obvious way to unlock it and then lock it on the correct hole? Because I wasn't able to figure that out, I needed to go back later and correct the score card but couldn't figure out how to edit the score card on the windows phone. No doubt it's something ridiculously easy, but I couldn't get from here to there.

Looking forward to the gopro website going live.
If it locks in on wrong hole just double tap action button and press previous hole.
Changing the score card at this point cannot be done from the ios app, at least I haven't found a way. Don't know if windows phone will do it. Hopefully this will change once the myroundpro goes live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon