Desktop Windows 10 Support?

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Any word on whether the new band finally works with desktop Windows 10 as if it were a phone? Is there a Band app in the desktop store?

I want to be able to have it linked to my Surface Pro so when I'm in the bluetooth range I have the same functionality (email alerts, cortana etc.).

If it can't do this then what happened to MS's promise of continuum across all Windows 10 platforms and devices? They said all apps would appear in both stores after the launch of Windows 10 and it doesn't seem to have happened.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the Windows Store website, I can only find the Microsoft Health app in the phones section.

If it can't do this then what happened to MS's promise of continuum across all Windows 10 platforms and devices?
I think you are referring to universal apps able to run across all platforms, but this is an optional design choice and not a requirement of all Windows apps. Continuum, as I understand it, is referring to a single device having its user interface switch between a mobile or desktop experience depending on the presence/absence of a mouse and keyboard.

The only reason I can think why Microsoft would have chosen to do a phone-only version of the app rather than a universal app is that they figured it would be a very rare circumstance that someone would be using a Windows tablet without having a smart phone to pair with their Band since you can only pair the Band with one device at a time.

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I can think why Microsoft would have chosen to do a phone-only version of the app rather than a universal app is that they figured it would be a very rare circumstance that someone would be using a Windows tablet without having a smart phone to pair with their Band since you can only pair the Band with one device at a time.
I must be one of those very rare examples then because I've just obtained a Band 2. I have an HP Stream 7 Tablet which is running Windows 10 and I have an HTC 7 Pro Windows 7.8 phone but NEITHER will work with the Band 2 (although I can connect via Bluetooth, neither device has the required compatibility to run the Microsoft Health app which seems to be needed to do anything with the Band 2).

I'm quite happy with my 'last of the line proper keyboard equipped' phone (it has a proper mechanical slide out keyboard) and now that Microsoft only produce 'slab' phones, there isn't an upgrade option available there. I take my Stream 7 tablet out and about for work and would like to rely on the Band 2's GPS receiver (via a Bluetooth connection) to work Windows 10 Maps. I'm sure there are many users of Microsoft Surface devices who would also like to utilise the GPS on the Band 2 for the same reason and more.

Microsoft really is missing out on many opportunities by not making the Band 2 compatible with the Desktop version of Windows 10 or even Windows Phone 7.8 devices. They're also missing out on an opportunity by not making a phone with a proper keyboard anymore but that's another story. Unfortunately, unless anyone here knows of plans for Microsoft to provide Desktop OS support for this device, my Band 2 will have to go back for a refund :cry:

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for replying devbent and its great to know Microsoft has staff monitoring these forums. While this would enable me to do some things on a desktop that I could do much more easily if it was directly compatible with my phone or tablet, alas the MAIN reason I got it was to be a smart watch with a GPS Receiver which I was hoping could be connected via Bluetooth to work the Windows 10 Maps app on my Tablet. Even if my phone was compatible, I think I'd still rather view the Microsoft Health App and configure the Band 2 using at least a tablet sized screen. It looks like I'll have to stick with my fTech Bluetooth GPS Receiver and GPSDirect for the tablet and my old as the hills Casio watch, return the Band 2 and save my money until a more complete solution is forthcoming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes