Poll - Band 2 Face Up or Face Down

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't sure until I got it, but now that I've worn it, I've decided on face in. Was worried about the 'fat' clasp, but can't say that I really notice it that much, and the screen is much easier to read on the inside of the wrist (same as it was on Band 1).

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Band 1 I wore face down. So far band 2 face down also. The only thing is I noticed it was feeling warmer in the inside of my wrist then I realized the green light is now behind the screen. Wasn't like that before right? Might try face up for a while. Band 2 is too beautiful to be hidden.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
After using it both ways for a few days, I have to say that face down works best for me (on my right wrist). Reaching the button when face up seemed unnatural. I also chose the MS Band 2 over other health bands because it had the UV sensor - and wearing it face up precludes any meaningful use of that sensor. I've ordered a protector kit as I did notice that the metal surface on the buckle scratches rather easily.

What protector (brand) did you get for the buckle?

theojt

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I got the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Microsoft Band 2 Screen Protector + Black Carbon Fiber Full Body Skin Protector
available on Amazon.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Band 2 for 5 days now and have been wearing it face up. I'm worried about scratches on the glass if I wear it face down.

I got the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Microsoft Band 2 Screen Protector + Black Carbon Fiber Full Body Skin Protector
available on Amazon.

I looked at that. I don't think it provides any protection for the clasp.

Last edited:

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am wearing mine face down, as it much more natural to check notifications that way.

It just feels strange if the face would be up and tried to read notifications. face down you just need to turn your hand a lttle bit to see it.

Thinking of getting the Armorsuit though to protect the screen and the clasp

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a lot of complaints about the Band 2 being inaccurate in a few ways, such as undercounting steps and flights of stairs. I've noticed the same and I think the heart rate is also off. Some people say it is more accurate if you wear it with the display on the outside of your wrist with the buttons facing up the arm, but I have no idea if that's true. I've been wearing it on the inside and flipped it a little while ago so I'll see if it makes any difference.

Update:

I took a walk on a treadmill to do some comparisons. The heart rate monitor seemed to work better with the display on the outside. It was somewhat in agreement with the treadmill's heart monitor, although they differed up to 10BPM or so on occasion. I don't know which is more accurate, but maybe it's a sampling thing. I guess you can't really expect scientific accuracy out of something like this. I think you need a chest strap if you want the best accuracy but I'm not that hard core.

The step count and distance on the Band were wildly off though, and I believe it's due to its reliance on arm movement. If I held on to the treadmill hand bars where the heart monitor sensors are then the Band counted nothing, zero steps, zero distance, for that time. I walked 1.5 miles (according to the treadmill), and the band measured 1.06 miles. I also had a Fitbit Zip clipped to my pants pocket which counted 3216 steps, the Band counted 2054. Separately, the Band shows I climbed 2 flights of stairs today which is well short of reality.

For the day, the Fitbit shows 6373 steps and 3.09 miles walked, the Band 3620 steps and 1.88 miles walked. Based on what the treadmill says I'd have to say the Band is not at all accurate and is going back to the store.

Last edited:

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
For the day, the Fitbit shows 6373 steps and 3.09 miles walked, the Band 3620 steps and 1.88 miles walked. Based on what the treadmill says I'd have to say the Band is not at all accurate and is going back to the store.

Have you calibrated the band to your steps with the GPS?

Prior to taking it back to the store turn on the GPS and exercise or walk around so the band can use this data and your height to determine what a step is for you and your device.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you calibrated the band to your steps with the GPS?

Prior to taking it back to the store turn on the GPS and exercise or walk around so the band can use this data and your height to determine what a step is for you and your device.

The problem is that it is totally reliant on arm movement. If you arms aren't swinging then it isn't counting or measuring. No amount of walking around with GPS enabled is going to correct that. The heart rate monitor is also quite flawed. There are many complaints on MS's site about those two issues. I don't know if a firmware update can correct it but I'm not going to wait and find out. Once the Black Friday mess is over I'll head back to the store and return it. It's too bad because it's quite a nice device otherwise.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Face out always. Using a computer keyboard with the screen in is going to result in scratches unless you hold your hand unnaturally, at least for me..

Weird, I don't have any issues wearing my Band 1 on the inside and using a keyboard

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a lot of complaints about the Band 2 being inaccurate in a few ways, such as undercounting steps and flights of stairs. I've noticed the same and I think the heart rate is also off. Some people say it is more accurate if you wear it with the display on the outside of your wrist with the buttons facing up the arm, but I have no idea if that's true. I've been wearing it on the inside and flipped it a little while ago so I'll see if it makes any difference.

Update:

I took a walk on a treadmill to do some comparisons. The heart rate monitor seemed to work better with the display on the outside. It was somewhat in agreement with the treadmill's heart monitor, although they differed up to 10BPM or so on occasion. I don't know which is more accurate, but maybe it's a sampling thing. I guess you can't really expect scientific accuracy out of something like this. I think you need a chest strap if you want the best accuracy but I'm not that hard core.

The step count and distance on the Band were wildly off though, and I believe it's due to its reliance on arm movement. If I held on to the treadmill hand bars where the heart monitor sensors are then the Band counted nothing, zero steps, zero distance, for that time. I walked 1.5 miles (according to the treadmill), and the band measured 1.06 miles. I also had a Fitbit Zip clipped to my pants pocket which counted 3216 steps, the Band counted 2054. Separately, the Band shows I climbed 2 flights of stairs today which is well short of reality.

When was/if ever was the treadmill calibrated for accuracy?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I use it face up for a few days now. Might try it face down starting tomorrow. Does it make any difference functionality wise? I mean in terms of accuracy, etc. I know the UV sensor is at on the clasp.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that it is totally reliant on arm movement. If you arms aren't swinging then it isn't counting or measuring. No amount of walking around with GPS enabled is going to correct that. The heart rate monitor is also quite flawed. There are many complaints on MS's site about those two issues. I don't know if a firmware update can correct it but I'm not going to wait and find out. Once the Black Friday mess is over I'll head back to the store and return it. It's too bad because it's quite a nice device otherwise.

The GPS calibration is not totally reliant on arm movement, go for an outdoor run or walk with GPS on to help it determine your stride..

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
When was/if ever was the treadmill calibrated for accuracy?

The treadmill is accurate. I've tried it with several other treadmills also. It's a simple problem, the Band just doesn't detect anything if your arms aren't swinging. It's a commonly reported problem.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The GPS calibration is not totally reliant on arm movement, go for an outdoor run or walk with GPS on to help it determine your stride..

The GPS calibration is not totally reliant on arm movement, the Band 2 is. The other problem is the heart monitor is totally inaccurate and unreliable, which is a bigger problem.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
the Band just doesn't detect anything if your arms aren't swinging.
Well, yeah. Why would anyone be walking without swinging their arms? And how would it determine when you are walking or when you're sitting still?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon