12-07-2017 09:02 AM
312 1234 ...
tools
    Many reports of durability issues, if this is happening after a few weeks/months, then the item can be classed as defective, remember the item needs to be suitable for its intended purpose. MS should be offering repairs while its under warranty. You do not need the extended insurance for this. It would appear the band is not as durable as it should be. This makes MS entirely liable for repairs or replacements, but they will fob you off with this rubbish.

I took mine back and got it replaced this morning. I only had it ten days, developed a crack in the screen. I did not have extended/complete care.

You have additional rights as a consumer use them.
    02-03-2016 07:18 AM
    This may be the final straw that drives me back to Fitbit. Fitbit just announced the Blaze (will be available in March). It has replaceable bands so I don't have to worry about band tears. I had my Surge replaced after 10 months when the band on it split. Add the 5 day battery life and it will be hard for me to resist retiring my Band 2 just after 6 months.

Amazon has the Blaze up for pre-order.
    02-03-2016 07:41 AM
    Hope that is not a print error, blaze has no gps, bands cost extra, same skin issues from there bog standard material, even if they can be replaced, limited notification support, does not sit well with windows phones, no whatsapp integration... explains the five day battery life.

It does look nice though...i will give it that, customisation nice...

If MS sorted out their warranty, it would be no problem...
    02-03-2016 09:18 AM
    I returned my Band 2 a few weeks ago, I notice a small dink in the strap by the clasp which quickly turned into a centimetre long split in the strap. I have only just joined the forum and have been taking a look today and noticed this thread. I am gutted because I thought the Band 2 was awesome, it really made me look at my daily activity. I could not believe how few steps I take on my non running days and it motivated me to get up every lunch time and walk and also find more active ways to get to and from work.

I won't be investing in replacing it especially at 200. This is totally unacceptable. I thought it was just mine that teared but it seems it is a design fault. I'll wait to see what happens if we get a Band 3.

Sadly and regrettably I will be finding another fitness monitor or GPS device to track my running and activities.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    02-03-2016 11:14 AM
    This is also probably good information for everyone to log... Like what is normal wearing style and size, like mine is usually 1/2 to 3/4 tightness on medium band. So far so good since mid December.
    Mine is the same way, and can see it from pics in this thread. I've had mine just over a month and so far so good. *knock on wood*
    02-03-2016 12:27 PM
    how old is your band?
    02-03-2016 12:59 PM
    how old is your band?
    Just got notice that MS have received mine. It was purchased on November 27th.
    02-03-2016 02:18 PM
    I am finding Microsoft's warranty stance quite appalling, they designed a fitness band that does not seem that durable in real life, and then pushes the cost off to you for using it, how wonderful. I hope you get it repaired. This 1 year limited warranty should include repairs for defects. if it wears or rips after a month, I would call that a big defect, design flaw whatever. They should offer to repair the defect at least...If not I would just take it back, get a refund. I do not see how that is legal...
    02-03-2016 02:37 PM
    I had my band just over a week before it started splitting and I used it under what I would consider normal conditions.

I ran with it on and used the GPS. I wore it in the day and used it to count steps and activity and I wore it once in the gym.

I would take it off to sleep in, and only used the sleep monitoring twice. I would also take it off when washing up or doing any task that could knock it etc. The only time I kept it on would be when working on the computer, but then it was under a jumper or long sleeve t-shirt so it would have unlikely taken direct contact with desk.
    02-03-2016 05:38 PM
    As of today the strap on my band has cracked open to the right side of the screen. I have been to the forums on the Microsoft website and many have the same issue, and same response from MS "Not a Manufactures Defect". We need to "band" together and demand reparations from Microsoft. Maybe an expose article from WindowsCentral.com would be a good start.
    02-03-2016 06:54 PM
    I am really not sure what to do now. I originally delayed replacing my MS Band 2 after Amazon UK accepted the return and refund because I originally bought it on offer at 150 but it had gone up to 200. Now i am seeing more incidences of strap splitting I am not sure I want to get a new one as I don't want to fork out 200 then have issues with it again at any point down the line.

I really liked the MS Band, it was comfortably to wear, easy to use, the data feed on it was clear and precise. The battery life could have been better but I managed that. I found it very motivating and prompted me to keep active in the day as well as hitting the gym and running.

I thought the MS Health app was very good and I really liked the break down of my running route that showed me where I was slowest and fastest, this allowed me to modify my pace on the next run. I did wish it had a community liked to it like Fitbit or Strava, but I appreciate the MS Heath App wasn't really designed for that. I also use MyFitnessApp to track my calorie intake and i liked the sync between MS Heath and MyFitnessApp.

I am not sure where to go with this now. If I don't replace the Band i need to find an alternative. I am not sure if there is anything else that links to the MS Health App so it might be that I can only use the GPS on my Lumia 950 and use one of the Running Apps from the App Store like Run Keeper, Runtastic or the new one from Adidas. Otherwise it will be looking for another activity tracker or specify gps running watching, but again I am not sure if any of the GPS Running Watches sync to the Lumia and w10m etc.

It maybe that I use a GPS Watch or other alternative activity tracker and sync it online via my laptop to the dashboards on their websites, and only use the w10m app (if one is available) to view my data
    Sameer Parihar likes this.
    02-04-2016 09:43 AM
    Update: MS have replaced my split band as a regular warranty replacement and didn't use my MS Complete and it's on the way to me. Hopefully this one doesn't suck.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    02-04-2016 04:52 PM
    Here is mine. It is size medium and was purchased the week it was released in the US. I wear it all the time and it split about a week ago. It still works but I anticipate it will eventually fail as the mechanism continues to be exposed. I am going to take it to the Microsoft store next weekand see if they will replace it.

wp_20160205_08_38_24_pro_li-2-.jpg
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    02-05-2016 08:01 AM
    Here is mine. It is size medium and was purchased the week it was released in the US. I wear it all the time and it split about a week ago. It still works but I anticipate it will eventually fail as the mechanism continues to be exposed. I am going to take it to the Microsoft store next weekand see if they will replace it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160205_08_38_24_Pro_LI (2).jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	121840
    Please keep us informed...
    02-05-2016 03:25 PM
    As of today the strap on my band has cracked open to the right side of the screen. I have been to the forums on the Microsoft website and many have the same issue, and same response from MS "Not a Manufactures Defect". We need to "band" together and demand reparations from Microsoft. Maybe an expose article from WindowsCentral.com would be a good start.
    indeed!
    02-05-2016 03:27 PM
    just 3 months and a couple days since purchase...MS support says not covered by warranty...

wp_20160207_001.jpg
    02-07-2016 01:27 PM
    This is obviously a design flaw. The rubber material is wearing and eventually failing at the contact point of the edge of the display housing. I don't expect a device like this to last indefinitely but I think it is reasonable to expect a year with normal use.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    02-07-2016 06:51 PM
    Wow. I had the exact same problem, and I walked into a Microsoft store, showed them, and they handed me a new one in less than 10 minutes.
    sholokov likes this.
    02-07-2016 08:33 PM
    I've just had the same conversation. My band split after less than 2 months - you can see the wiring which can't be good news. My argument is that the wristband is an integral part of the product and needs to be fit for purpose. My last band (the original version) did the same and it was replaced with no problem after 6 months of use. I'm hoping they will play ball otherwise it's off to trading standards.....
    02-08-2016 04:41 AM
    Do Microsoft have stores in the UK? Can't find anything on the website (thought didn't look hard)
    02-08-2016 04:55 AM
    I have microsoft complete, when I walked in and showed uit to them they initially didnt want to replace it without using microsoft complete, but then I talked to the manager and she made them swap it out immediately and without using my microsoft complete (but updated the serial number on my insurance)
    02-08-2016 09:52 AM
    I bought my Band 2 from the online UK MS Store less than 2 months ago and it has a split the same as the pictures above. When I called to get it replaced under normal warranty they did try and fob me off but you have to be persistent, tell them you have seen multiple instances of the same issue on the forums and it's clearly a design fault. They did agree to swap mine eventually
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    02-09-2016 01:25 PM
    So I have just ordered my third band. Third time lucky I hope.

Band one split but in a different location that others have experienced. I bought this from Amazon and they took it back no questions asked.

Band two was Amazon also, it arrived yesterday and is going straight back. I ordered it as new, the box seals were open, and when I opened it and check the condition (to make sure no nicks were in the strap), I was shocked at the condition (see attached pictures), yes, this was sold to me as new stock. To give Amazon their dues, they are taking it back no questions, have apologised and are opening an investigation as I have sent them the photos. I am getting an early refund and some Amazon vouchers.

wp_20160211_11_51_28_rich.jpg

wp_20160211_11_51_43_rich.jpg

wp_20160211_11_51_16_rich.jpg

wp_20160211_11_49_35_rich.jpg

Band Three is on order from Microsoft UK Store (online) only because it had 30 off yesterday (and currently still does now). I am really hoping that I get a good copy that lasts. I have really missed the Band and its functions.
    sholokov likes this.
    02-12-2016 03:09 AM
    Please keep us informed...
    I went to the Microsoft Store today and the manager replaced the Band 2 under warranty. Initially the salesperson wanted to use MS Complete but after they had difficulty looking up my information the manager told him to just use the warranty. The salesperson said he hadn't seen that type of damage before and asked me what happened to it.
    02-13-2016 07:34 PM
    I went to the Microsoft Store today and the manager replaced the Band 2 under warranty. Initially the salesperson wanted to use MS Complete but after they had difficulty looking up my information the manager told him to just use the warranty. The salesperson said he hadn't seen that type of damage before and asked me what happened to it.
    I also had somewhat similar experience. Went in and they said they had never seen or heard of it before. They said they get updates from microsoft on common defects/issues and this one had been mentioned yet. I could tell they thought I was lying that it was a known problem and even heard the manager mumble that I was abusing the system since she saw that I had traded my faulty Band 1 for the Band 2. I have been through 3 Bands and now on my second Band 2, I bought the Complete coverage now but honestly I may switch to something else because this is annoying. I just hate having to explain that I didn't cause the issue every time I go in for these silly defects. Other than that I do love the Band.
    02-18-2016 11:01 AM
312 1234 ...