Worth exchanging for bad HR sensor?

vmmatty

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I really like what the Band 2 offers as a combination smartwatch and fitness tracker. My issue is I'm stuck with a unit that has a very inaccurate heartrate sensor. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to exchange it or just move to something else.

This is my 5th or 6th Band 2. I replaced the last one because the HR sensor was wildly inaccurate and would report incredibly high HR even during basic activities like walking. Unfortunately the replacement is doing the exact same thing. I previously had a Band 2 that was working perfectly - the HR reported almost exactly matched the gym equipment's HR sensor, the stair counter was accurate, etc. I had to replace that one because the band tore (along with the previous 3 I've had) and now I'm stuck with a really bad HR sensor on this one.

Today at the gym I was on the elliptical and for nearly the entire 54 minutes it reported my HR in the 148-166 range with a top of 182! The gym equipment, by comparison, recorded most of it in the 120-130s and up to 145 only when I was really working. That workout reported that I burned 992 calories in 54 minutes because of the inaccurate HR. I also did a walk around my house (essentially pacing back and forth between rooms) and it reported my HR was up to 123bpm and most of the time was at or above 110. That just can't be right for walking.

I realize I'm venting a bit here but I'm honestly torn. I love the Band 2 but part of my feels like I'm cheering for the underdog and I should just give it up and go to a Fitbit or Garmin. Does anyone else have this inaccurate HR issue and did you have luck replacing it?

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I never expected my Band's HR monitor to be accurate beyond when I'm essentially at rest. As I understand it, the chest band type monitors are the only option for an accurate reading when exercising (as well as a 15 sec manual pulse count of course.) It's been a while since I've read up on all of this so my info might also be inaccurate!

It'd be interesting to verify what the gym equipment monitor was detecting; have you ever compared it to a manual pulse count? I wonder if that prior Band you had was actually accurate or simply measuring to the same accuracy level as the monitor gym.

Good luck in your quest though.

vmmatty

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I agree that wrist based HR monitors are never going to be as good as a chest strap. I definitely concede that point. And I think gym equipment works in a similar fashion (though I don't know for sure). What I can say is that the gym equipment matched how I feel. If your heart is beating 182bpm I suspect you'd feel that very strongly in your chest. I didn't feel that at all. And my previous Band really did match how I felt and it also matched the gym equipment (two different pieces of equipment too).

I know that Fitbit is being sued for inaccurate HR readings (though their issue is the opposite problem - reporting too low) and these won't be perfect. I'd at least like it to be in the ballpark though and the readings I'm seeing are way too high.

One thing I read this morning when researching alternative fitness trackers was that you're apparently supposed to be wearing it higher than at your wrist for more accurate readings. That might contribute to my issue because I wear it at the wrist and on the elliptical when gripping the bars it puts my wrist at an awkward angle. Tomorrow I'm going to try wearing the band further up my arm and see if it makes a difference.

vmmatty

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
As a follow up to this, I decided to try wearing the band both facing outward and to attach it further up my arm instead of at my wrist. This morning I had an elliptical workout and later a walk both very similar to what I had yesterday. Although it looked a little silly being an inch or two above my wrist the results speak for themselves.

During the elliptical workout, the heart rate matched the gym equipment almost exactly (within 2-5bpm) and it also matched how I felt. I compared it many times during the workout and every time the heart rate was nearly identical. It has never even been close to the gym equipment since I got the Band 2 prior to this workout. Even better was that I did intervals on the elliptical both days and you'd expect an up/down/up/down HR graph and that's exactly what I got today. Normally the graph was all over the place.

On a walk later the heart rate was again much more in line with reality with an average heart rate of 104 (compared to over 120 yesterday on a similar walk).

I'm still going to test this but the initial results look good. I'll continue to wear the band facing outward and further up my arm during exercise and then on my wrist and facing inward (which is most comfortable for me) at other times. I'm quite happy with the result.

Bottom line: If you're finding this thread via Google, try putting the Band 2 facing outward and further up your arm if the heart rate results are inaccurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon