So what killed the Band2?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Lackluster sales? A different "company vision"? Eternally unsatisfied Windows Central users/trolls? It certainly wasn't lack of a quality product that could've been a slam dunk in the next iteration. I know we don't have any official word (we don't even know that they killed it yet) but am I missing something? I thought it achieved reasonable success and it's certainly a quality product. I spent a bunch of cash of an Android Wear Huawei Watch and the thing wouldn't even record steps, let alone mileage. Got the band 2 and it was smooth from day one. I hope they reconsider.

Last edited:

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna go with the huge amount of money it cost MS to replace all the defective straps. Judging by the leaked pictures the Band 3 was going to be of similar construction = a lot of the same problems after a lot of money already invested into designing it. Just my theory.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
From what's been said, MS was working to try and bring Win 10 IOT to the Band. Anyone developing an interface is going to have a "usability lab" where they bring in different people to try out their designs to see what design elements work and what needs improvement.

I suspect the usability lab found that that the screen form-factor and placement was a problem they just couldn't satisfactorily overcome. Now, if our writing system was like the Japanese, with writing going from top to bottom, that would be perfectly fine. But with the predominate system of writing going from left-to-right, "portrait mode" on a tall skinny display doesn't work. But the problem with landscape mode is that it's awkward to get into a good reading position. If you wear the display on the underside, then you have to rotate your wrist each time. If you wear it on the top, then either it's going to be at a angle or you have to reading it at a distance. If you bring in your other hand to start to manipulate things, it gets worse.

I think MS embraced the band format based on the success of wearables like Fitbit among the younger generation. But I think the usability lab was finding serious limits to the form factor.

My hope is that MS is working on a new non-Band wearable. Most likely a watch, but perhaps they have come up with another format.

While Band 2 had it's problems, I still think the wearables market is young enough that there's a good possibility for major expansion. While the Band is not a market leader, I do think there's still room for someone who finds the magic point of features and price. Most of the other technologies people like to bring up (Zune, Win RT) were technologies that weren't going anywhere and had no prospect to break out. While not dead, the expiration date was in sight. Wearables is still a new frontier. And I'd think the idea you could tie servers, PCs, tablets, phones and wearables into a common OS (or at least a common family/development system) would be a strategic position to take.

So, I'd imagine they're going to go to something closer to Android Wear or Apple Watch.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I think several factors led to the decision. First and foremost, this seems to be the direction the company is being led right now. Less emphasis on hardware, emphasis definitely on "the enterprise" and cloud. Health wearable is a niche market within a niche market (smart watches), that is already dominated by other companies, Garmin and FitBit. Now add Apple to the mix as well. MS has been unable to sustain, never mind grow, market share in even a mainstream market like phones, never mind a limited niche market. Add to that the fact that Band 2 required a heavy hit on customer service and replacements. There just wasn't any money there, and no one seemed interested in jumping on to MS's (excuse the pun) 'Band Wagon', to use their Health platform.

It wouldn't surprise me to see MS come out with a different form factor (read smart watch) device, but I wouldn't count on it. I think they just decided the only hardware they want to sell are cash-cows like Surface or XBox. Just not enough low-hanging fruit for them in this market.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Have you ever seen MS sales charts? There's nothing less than in millions. Band product is less than roundoff error for them.

I'm guessing, from business perspective, it really wasn't worth the effort and the reputation damage by having all the issues were more than enough to simply kill it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was mentioned that they designed references for oems to follow and the band just wasn't successful. On top of that the design was just not that great. It tried to do something between a watch and a fit band. My guess is they may try at a watch at some point.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From another thread, seems to be mutterings internally from Microsoft that the Band 3 has been abandoned in name only, they will release another product, maybe a Surface Watch/Band?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing, from business perspective, it really wasn't worth the effort and the reputation damage by having all the issues were more than enough to simply kill it.

While I don't disagree with the logic, why would they say they're still behind MS Health? What would feed it if the Band is gone? So for that reason, I don't think that's what the future holds.

I wouldn't pin my hopes on a new vendor, as they all seem to have their own back end already. So I'd think it would have to be a new vendor who isn't big on back-ends. I can't think of any big names that would fit that bill. Maybe some importers-R-us.

Edison_jam

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I am half-expecting MS to announce their partnership and release of a CTAG product - I note Peter Griffiths (who went from MS to Cloudtag) is building an in-house team there and they are being mysteriously quiet. In fact, the product itself has been identified as 98-99% accurate, has ecg functionality and is yet to be released while they are mysteriously working away in background. Its just a theory and speculation on my part, but a very feasible one in my opinion. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I really think it was the repair/replacement rate. I still own both bands and I have sent my Band 1 back once, and my Band 2 is currently in a second time for not keeping charge.

Everybody I know and speak to who owned one had to return theirs at some point, for either battery or strap issues.

I still think the product is great, but from a commercial standpoint it can't have been an easy pill to swallow if there was a high replacement rate.

Sent from Microsoft Band

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thing is....they didn't even NEED to bring W10 IoT to the Band line.

Sure, do that with a future smart watch product but the Band really didn't need it.

The biggest issue was the repair/replacement rate. I wouldn't even be shocked to hear if the sales to returns rate was over 100%

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree about the back ends already being in place. Without their own product or a dedicated hardware partner nobody will really use the MS Health platform.

People were happy to take data OUT of MS Health (I use it to send data to Strava since there is no W10M app) but nobody AFAIK sends data into MS health

Sent from Microsoft Band

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I am half-expecting MS to announce their partnership and release of a CTAG product - I note Peter Griffiths (who went from MS to Cloudtag) is building an in-house team there and they are being mysteriously quiet. In fact, the product itself has been identified as 98-99% accurate, has ecg functionality and is yet to be released while they are mysteriously working away in background. Its just a theory and speculation on my part, but a very feasible one in my opinion. Thoughts?
That's a better fit to my observations than saying that MS is exiting wearables completely. It would reconcile "MS Health will continue" with "Band 3 has been canceled" which in my mind many theories fail to do.

As for the problems they had, I sure that's exactly why they didn't push the Band as a major thing. It was a new area and a learning curve for their designers. If you believe wearables have a future, you don't tuck your tail between your legs and run away. You learn and move forward.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Thing is....they didn't even NEED to bring W10 IoT to the Band line.

Yes, and no. In the short term, no. But long term that's likely to be a big thing. Having W10 on everything from server to mobile but NOT on a wearable - sounds silly. For example, controlling your house from your wearable instead of your phone. Even for just fitness, the more it can "talk" the more powerful it will be. If they can't get IOT working on a new device still on the drawing board, then something is fundamentally wrong with the starting point. (And I maintain it's the form-factor.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon