Hololense-like devices in fiction

vb4

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So, people are wondering how Hololense can be used.
What about if we list a few pieces of fiction that have similar devices?

In movies, the following come to my mind:
Iron Man, where Tony Stark interacts with holograms to design his suit. The first version of Hololense will likely not be comparable, but a v2 or v3 might, similar to the jump from Kinect v1 (Completely, baffingly useless for gaming) to Kinect v2 (Actually useful for games, even if a bit laggy).

...And I can't remember any others right now. I only have vague recollections of Augmented Reality being used to enhance scenes.
There was at least one movie with the whole "holograms follow you and you can videochat while walking" thing. But I don't remember which it was.

I can count three anime examples off the top of my head:

Accel World, a setting where everyone wears a so-called "Neurolinker", which is essentially the same as Hololense, except that it can also insert you into virtual reality and you can wear it while showering.
Among other things, there's an incident where someone's Neurolinker got a malware mail that caused the wearer to see the wrong signs for showers in his school. So he was blackmailed with footage from him walking into the girl's shower room.
You constantly have people typing in the air on invisible keyboards that no one else can see, and having them interact with various windows while talking.

Fractal, a horrible failure of a show, where people wear either glasses or have the AR feature inserted into their eyes. Among other things, there's an entire town that is purely virtual but looks astounding and real due to the AR overlay, which meshes with the ruins that the city uses as reference point.
Also, one in the characters in the show is purely virtual and can only be seen by people with the AR vision.

Dennou Coil. Personally, I stopped watching after one or two episodes because I found it tedious, but it's well-liked.

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a scene in Back to the Future where Marty wears a device that looks a lot like Hololens and the year just happened to be 2015.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes