Preordered US 640 XL shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
On 6/1 I preordered a US 640 XL (Dual Sim) from B&H Photo/Video in NY. Yesterday I got an email telling me it had already shipped! I thought these weren't being released till July, but it seems they're out there now. I checked their website, and now you can just order thermo, no waiting necessary. Very exciting!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
On 6/1 I preordered a US 640 XL (Dual Sim) from B&H Photo/Video in NY. Yesterday I got an email telling me it had already shipped! I thought these weren't being released till July, but it seems they're out there now. I checked their website, and now you can just order thermo, no waiting necessary. Very exciting!

Awesome. Congratulations. It's a great phone.
Which version of the phone did you buy?
Who is your carrier?

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Just checked their website (BHPhotoVideo.com), and they have fantastic prices on the 640XL, $229 one of the lowest I've seen (saw it on Amazon for $199, but that lasted only one day). But it has got me curious, what is the RM-1065 and RM-1067? And how is it different than RM-1096_1001 (that's the one I have)?

WW

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Just checked their website (BHPhotoVideo.com), and they have fantastic prices on the 640XL, $229 one of the lowest I've seen (saw it on Amazon for $199, but that lasted only one day). But it has got me curious, what is the RM-1065 and RM-1067? And how is it different than RM-1096_1001 (that's the one I have)?

WW

B&H still have it for $229, but it says "special order" whereas the others ones for $269 say "in stock". I'm sure the $229 variants are 3G only, that's the only thing that makes sense. IMHO, both variants are way too expensive for what you get compared to similarly priced Android phones. I understand Windows Phone is not Android, but when you can get the OnePlus One, or a Brand New Note 3 for around the same price... or an Asus Zenphone 2 unlocked for $199 with twice the memory, twice the Ram, a 1080p screen, fast charging, and virtually unlimited app selection, etc., etc., etc... then Microsoft really goofed pricing the 640 XL. I'm proof of that because I was going to buy one.. but not now.

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
B&H still have it for $229, but it says "special order" whereas the others ones for $269 say "in stock". I'm sure the $229 variants are 3G only, that's the only thing that makes sense. IMHO, both variants are way too expensive for what you get compared to similarly priced Android phones. I understand Windows Phone is not Android, but when you can get the OnePlus One, or a Brand New Note 3 for around the same price... or an Asus Zenphone 2 unlocked for $199 with twice the memory, twice the Ram, a 1080p screen, fast charging, and virtually unlimited app selection, etc., etc., etc... then Microsoft really goofed pricing the 640 XL. I'm proof of that because I was going to buy one.. but not now.

In regards to price, it's not really apples to apples for several reasons unrelated to operating system. For one thing, Lumia positions itself as the best build quality among Windows phones, and usually includes a better camera than comparable Windows Phones and Android phones, especially if it has Zeiss optics and/or Pureview. The price difference shows this, even on Microsoft's USA site, Blu and YezzBilly brands are noticeably cheaper if you go strictly by basic specs. Second, Lumia 640/XL is the newest Lumia model, so like with everything else, the initial launch price is going to be relatively high, chances are the price drop will be greater compared to the models you mentioned within the next 6-12 months, swinging the value equation more in the 640's favor.

One area where mid-range Lumia's still beat the competition is the expandable memory, 128GB and probably more. For me, this is usually the most glossed-over but important spec, because having offline videos/photos/music (not to mention more room for apps) makes a noticeable difference in responsiveness and reliability and battery life. I had an Android phone that supported only up to 32GB card, and without any pictures/videos/music I was hitting the limit on both the phone and card, and I was constantly juggling which apps to un-install and install. For me, that alone makes Lumia better, among other things.

WW

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know this had been released in the US yet. Microsoft's official Lumia 640 XL page still says "coming soon".

When you say "released in the US", do you mean released by either Microsoft or a US carrier with warranty support? If so, the answer is no, it has not been released yet. All the versions people are currently using and selling for US buyers are international versions that do not have any warranties.

WW

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
In regards to price, it's not really apples to apples for several reasons unrelated to operating system. For one thing, Lumia positions itself as the best build quality among Windows phones, and usually includes a better camera than comparable Windows Phones and Android phones, especially if it has Zeiss optics and/or Pureview. The price difference shows this, even on Microsoft's USA site, Blu and YezzBilly brands are noticeably cheaper if you go strictly by basic specs. Second, Lumia 640/XL is the newest Lumia model, so like with everything else, the initial launch price is going to be relatively high, chances are the price drop will be greater compared to the models you mentioned within the next 6-12 months, swinging the value equation more in the 640's favor.

One area where mid-range Lumia's still beat the competition is the expandable memory, 128GB and probably more. For me, this is usually the most glossed-over but important spec, because having offline videos/photos/music (not to mention more room for apps) makes a noticeable difference in responsiveness and reliability and battery life. I had an Android phone that supported only up to 32GB card, and without any pictures/videos/music I was hitting the limit on both the phone and card, and I was constantly juggling which apps to un-install and install. For me, that alone makes Lumia better, among other things.

WW

Well, I thought I made it clear it's not quite apples to apples, but I think it's not quite not apples to apples either. Maybe it's Macintosh to Granny Smith's! The 640 XL can take up to a 128 GB micro SD card, but there's the fact that SD cards by nature are not really means for secure storage and you can't store everything on them to begin with. Furthermore, the vast majority of people will never need anything close to that, I bet most people use far less than 16 GB's of storage. That's a guess, but I'm going to try to get some info and see if I'm close. You're right that the camera is awesome on the 640 XL from the pictures I've seen, but again, for what most people use their camera phones for (posting to the web and sharing via texts), just about any mid range Android phone is fine. Heck, the camera on my $29 LG Fuel does ok in a pinch for posting on line, and no one ever mentioned the quality, they just comment on the picture itself. However, if you want a great camera on your phone, then the 640 XL is the mid-ranger to get.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site

Awesome thanks!

Would you know US carrier compatibility with those models?

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I thought I made it clear it's not quite apples to apples, but I think it's not quite not apples to apples either. Maybe it's Macintosh to Granny Smith's! The 640 XL can take up to a 128 GB micro SD card, but there's the fact that SD cards by nature are not really means for secure storage and you can't store everything on them to begin with. Furthermore, the vast majority of people will never need anything close to that, I bet most people use far less than 16 GB's of storage. That's a guess, but I'm going to try to get some info and see if I'm close. You're right that the camera is awesome on the 640 XL from the pictures I've seen, but again, for what most people use their camera phones for (posting to the web and sharing via texts), just about any mid range Android phone is fine. Heck, the camera on my $29 LG Fuel does ok in a pinch for posting on line, and no one ever mentioned the quality, they just comment on the picture itself. However, if you want a great camera on your phone, then the 640 XL is the mid-ranger to get.

The funny thing about "unlimited app selection", you actually like to try them, and then you find there are actually good ones, useful ones, and then you try more, and more, and guess what? That "immense" 16gb doesn't look so anymore. I know plenty, plenty of iPhone, IPad, and Android users, casual users, that thought the same as you, what on earth will I do with all that storage? Then they try one app, like it a lot, then they start to explore the store more, and install more, and sure enough, sooner or later, they're in state of app "swapping" because they've hit the storage limit. I agree that internal storage is preferable versus sd-cards, but unfortunately as you know it's still relatively expensive, evident by the prices of 64GB phones. I'll maintain that 128GB+ sdcard is a killer feature for Lumia phones and a definite advantage.

But really, that was a side point more than the main points I mentioned in regards to Lumia market placement and launch price/value equation.

WW

PS - I never said the 640 XL camera is awesome, just that Lumia cameras with Zeiss and/or Pureview usually are better than their comparable competition.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yes, but it's easier to ask whether it's compatible with your carrier. each of the auctions do list the band compatibility, and for the most part, they are all compatible with the GSM networks. the differenence will be what speeds you see. They aren't really compatible with the cdma networks, though.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The funny thing about "unlimited app selection", you actually like to try them, and then you find there are actually good ones, useful ones, and then you try more, and more, and guess what? That "immense" 16gb doesn't look so anymore. I know plenty, plenty of iPhone, IPad, and Android users, casual users, that thought the same as you, what on earth will I do with all that storage? Then they try one app, like it a lot, then they start to explore the store more, and install more, and sure enough, sooner or later, they're in state of app "swapping" because they've hit the storage limit."

Most people simply don't care that much about apps.. Only a very small percentage are obsessive over it them, like you describe above.

"How many apps have you downloaded this month?

One? Two? Ten?

It's not. In fact, it's nothing.

Zero. Yep, that's the average number of apps that the average smartphone user downloads in one month. See the chart below from ComScore and Quartz to see what I mean."

http://www.komando.com/happening-no...y-apps-the-average-person-downloads-per-month

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Most people simply don't care that much about apps.. Only a very small percentage are obsessive over it them, like you describe above.

"How many apps have you downloaded this month?

One? Two? Ten?

It's not. In fact, it's nothing.

Zero. Yep, that's the average number of apps that the average smartphone user downloads in one month. See the chart below from ComScore and Quartz to see what I mean."

Bet you can't guess how many apps the average person downloads per month | Komando.com

What does download *rate* have to do with anything? When I get a new phone, I install almost all of the apps I care about in the first month of usage, then after that, maybe 2-3 apps per month if that, but that doesn't mean I don't care about apps. Correlating download rates with app interest is as non-sensical as the statement "Most people simply don't care that much about apps". Really? Then why is the Windows Phone app store such an issue to Microsoft? Why do app stores across platforms see ever higher downloads?

Here is more recent and relevant information: http://mashable.com/2015/06/08/apple-100-billion-app-downloads/

"the average apple user has 119 apps" . 119! Average. The largest category of apps? Games. Are games getting smaller or bigger? (that's rhetorical). One Asphalt game will consume at least 1GB. And Android and Apple have *many* high quality, high storage games. And that's just games. That doesn't include all the space you would need for local pictures/videos/music, and don't forget, once in a while, there's that big update coming (for us, Windows Phone 10, for Apple, iOS9, for Android - well, chances are you don't have to worry about that ;-) ).

Let me ask you this question, if you think the average user doesn't care about the app store and apps and storage, do you think the average user cares about specs? Do you think the average user knows how many cores or what type of gpu their phone has? By that same reasoning, all the points you mentioned for choosing phones other than Lumia 640XL do not apply to the vast majority of users. But that wasn't the point of all this, was it? The point was, why the Lumia 640XL is priced higher than some Android phones. Where as I stated before, storage was more of a side point (and I still maintain, an important one).

WW

Last edited:

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
No to get in the middle of your "app war", but my 640 XL arrived today, and it is glorious. Just a beautiful piece of hardware. Amazing to get this much for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes