Lumia 640 XL: Micah's First impressions(It's great)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I got my 640 XL dual sim(RM-1096) on Thursday and I spent the last day and a half playing with it.

I am coming from a Lumia 1520(My favorite phone after 2 years nearly) and HTC One M8 Windows temporarily(I am glad that I was able to get rid of).

This is just my first impressions of the phone itself. I'll do a review/comparison in relation to the 1520 :D

1. Opening the FedEx(more like going crazy and ripping into it), I was surprised to see how nice Microsoft boxes are for their products. The carrier boxes are so ugly.

Superficial and trivial I know it definitely is. But I think it makes the product look more interesting when you display it properly
WP_20150620_03_12_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20150620_03_13_04_Pro.jpg

2. No Camera button...Sigh.

Honestly, the only reason that bothered me was because I can't quick launch the camera button to open the camera. My only complaint.

However, I don't have much issues with the onscreen button thus far. In fact, I've noticed that when I give people my phone to take pics that for some reason they struggle with the camera button.

They either don't press it to take the pic...it just focuses(LOL)
or they somehow change it to video and wind up recording us. Nor do they know if the picture has actually taken or not.

So maybe this will make it easier for noobs.

3. The Feel of the phone....feels great. I have the orange version(more on this later)

4. Going from 6 inches to 5.7 is noticeable but not in a bad way. It is much easier to use the XL in one hand usage, of course. Not to mention it is not as heavy(Not really a problem regardless) which feels great holding it for long periods of time. It isn't top heavy like the 1520 is when you want to lie in bed with your phone above you as you type or browse/read

5. I am vain...this camera is AH-MAH-ZING :p (the Front Camera). Surprisingly, I haven't been in a selfie mode but I took a few random shots with both phones and the quality was a noticeable difference. #work

In regards to the camera on the back, I really haven't done much witht hat.

6. I got an update from Microsoft when i first opened my phone. I cant recall what version I am on but what made me like it was because it actually sends me a text telling me you've been upgraded to whatever version of the OS. The carrier branded phones don't...it's small and rather irrelevant but still a nice touch.

7. This is a dual sim version from Hong Kong....The Keyboard is was set up based on that phone. Even though in English, the phone's first language is Chinese.

The main difference between an English keyboard and this keyboard is the comma is not on the main screen with the letters. In place of a comma is the language button (ENG) to switch between Chinese and English. I was slightly annoyed by it, but I realize, I rarely even use a comma unless I am texting a lot in one message(and even then it is periods lol).

You can of course choose the comma by going to the next screen with other symbols. See no real difference besides that. The first pic being the Lumia 640 XL and the second being the 1520 Att Version
wp_ss_20150620_0003.jpg
wp_ss_20150620_0001.png

8. I don't have Hey cortana anymore but maybe it was my 1520 but she rarely heard me on the first try and she wasn't 100 percent. Honestly I don't mind....

Two things that do bug me...One I am adapting to and learning to deal with and the other I can fix ;)

9. When I first turned the phone on....I noticed the onscreen buttons.

Hated them instantly. Capacitive is so much better.
For one, When I want to use the onscreen buttons when looking at a picture and want to go return back to the start screen...Sometimes I'd hit the share button by mistake when I meant to hit the back arrow.

OR vice versa i'll sometimes hit the Navigation buttons when I really meant to hit a command to share. I didn't like them for the first 8 hours.

However as of now...I still believe the Capacitive keys are the master race BUT I am growing to like the On screen buttons.

The reason why is a feature that plays nicely with Glance. With Glance, you can double tap to wake.

With the onscreen buttons you can double tap to put the screen to sleep. I think that is so cool. But yeah I've learned to adapt.

10. That moment when you want to be different and then realize...hmm maybe different wasn't the best idea ;)

I always wanted a blue Lumia. I truly did. I love the color blue in most shades. I wanted the Cyan 920 but couldn't get it and unfortunately the 1020 and 1520 never came in blue. I had the red 1520 and the yellow 1020 and 1520.

I had the choice to get Cyan this time. But I was like "ooh let's be different." I got the orange. I thought it looked nice, bold, and I like making a statement.

Flashforward two days later when I got my phone and I was like "WHAT THE HELL DID I DO" :p I should've gotten blue. My lumia looks like a traffic cone or one of those safety vest people wear...or a prisoner's uniform lol.

Still I have sort of gotten used to it but I likely will be buying the cyan cover from Ebay :D
convict.jpg

Neutral Complaint:
It is a dual sim phone...but I wish they would disable the icon for the 2nd sim when there is not one in there. It was annoying but now I really don't even notice it. Besides, I am going to be test driving tmobile's network. Might as well put my phone to all it can do.

All in All I definitely recommend this phone.
1. It's Unlocked
2. I get 4G
3. Did I mention it was unlocked?
4. It's great already so far...I hope it stands up and continues to be great.

I'll do a camera review and perhaps a full review later this weekend in comparison to the 1520

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Glad your like the phone... How is the back speaker?... If you want Cortana change your region and language to the US and you should get it back.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Glad your like the phone... How is the back speaker?... If you want Cortana change your region and language to the US and you should get it back.
Oh no I have Cortana. I just don't have hey Cortana due to the processor difference. It's only available officially on 800 processor lumias such as the icon and 930 and 1520.
The speaker oon the back sounds great to me. My 1520 speaker was good as well but I sort of like how it sounds better on the XL.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Welcome aboard Micah. Hehe, I was stuck up with a black one on pre-order so later on I ended up in getting a case. But yesterday a guy mentioned that there were back door color variants that can be imported from china. I am still looking for them. Wish I could get that one rather than a case.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard Micah. Hehe, I was stuck up with a black one on pre-order so later on I ended up in getting a case. But yesterday a guy mentioned that there were back door color variants that can be imported from china. I am still looking for them. Wish I could get that one rather than a case.
I dislike using cases. I like my Lumia to be noticed :D yeah I saw the ones that can be purchased from Hong Kong. Sucks it takes awhile to get here though. I am going to try and adjust to the orange.
My yellow 1520 was named pikachu and ibe named this one convict lol

I'm hoping Microsoft will stock the backs in their store.

And thanks for the welcome. Hope this area is just as fun as the 1520 forums are :)

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I used cases for a month but they looked bad. I am loving when ask sees the "Microsoft" at the back side of the device :)

Not as fun as 1520 forums, Micah. As people are still over other devices and some low-end devices and just 640. But this XL is a beast I have a plans of upggrading to 940XL but this time I will get a glossy back door device one :p
I had seen a matte white in my place shipping in a day and glossy green. :) waiting for him to share pictures.

I dislike using cases. I like my Lumia to be noticed :D yeah I saw the ones that can be purchased from Hong Kong. Sucks it takes awhile to get here though. I am going to try and adjust to the orange.
My yellow 1520 was named pikachu and ibe named this one convict lol

I'm hoping Microsoft will stock the backs in their store.

And thanks for the welcome. Hope this area is just as fun as the 1520 forums are :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I used cases for a month but they looked bad. I am loving when ask sees the "Microsoft" at the back side of the device :)

Not as fun as 1520 forums, Micah. As people are still over other devices and some low-end devices and just 640. But this XL is a beast I have a plans of upggrading to 940XL but this time I will get a glossy back door device one :p
I had seen a matte white in my place shipping in a day and glossy green. :) waiting for him to share pictures.
Well hopefully it coming to att will definitely get more activity here. Besides I will still be in the 1520 forums as well too. oh aandthere is a glossy green one? I want to see tthat. I'd love a green one as well as a cyan lol
I love my pikachu 1520 but idk if I want to go yellow again lol

I probably will be upgrading to the same one uli are though.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting as it's weekend, seller isn't responding back. Yes, he did mentioned as glossy green but didn't shared pictures yet.

Well hopefully it coming to att will definitely get more activity here. Besides I will still be in the 1520 forums as well too. oh aandthere is a glossy green one? I want to see tthat. I'd love a green one as well as a cyan lol

I love my pikachu 1520 but idk if I want to go yellow again lol

I probably will be upgrading to the same one uli are though.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting as it's weekend, seller isn't responding back. Yes, he did mentioned as glossy green but didn't shared pictures yet.
It probably looks great. Depending on the colors certain glossy looks good like red or cyan. I don't think orange or say a yellow would. The green I wonder if it is the same color as the Lumia 830 green or like Verizon's 735

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Im sorry if I missed something, but you can of course change the keyboad to US one?

Also when you disable/delete the secondary keyboard, that switch button goes away.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Superboy, I didn't get the chance to read it all but when I get back, I'll read it. Congrats on your latest acquisition..

Edit: I couldn't wait so I read it now. Sounds like I expected it to be..sans the camera button. But what I am mostly interested in, is how well the camera takes snaps. My 1520 (as does yours) does a great job even on the simplest of photos. Can't wait to see how this one functions when average folk use it.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

could you tell us which bands are enabled for this phone (RM-1096)?

It's written on the label on the right side of the packaging.

WCDMA x,x,x,x,x GSMQUAD
LTE x,x,x,x,x,x,x ...

Thanks in advance.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Omg Micah, you can hide the on screen buttons. Just swipe up from the bottom of the screen or there could be an arrow on the side to tap. It's so great when you are playing games or watching videos. You will never accidently press press any buttons again.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Omg Micah, you can hide the on screen buttons. Just swipe up from the bottom of the screen or there could be an arrow on the side to tap. It's so great when you are playing games or watching videos. You will never accidently press press any buttons again.

Omg but then I need to swipe up to bring then back when I need to navigate. Capacitive is so much better

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I have enjoyed my 1320, therefore I have decided to go for the 1520 (2 month ago) and I have been disappointed. to much problem with the touch screen and the network reception was poor in comparison with the 1320. I have appreciated the good Quality of the screen, the good size of the ram and of the internal memory of the 1520. Si I decided to see what phone was available on the market and I have read an article on the 640 XL and this remind me a lot my good experience with the 1320. I am also using two sim card (Business and personal) and it is very good to have only one mobile instead of two.
I am today very satisfied of the 640 XL. The network connection with Tesco and Three is good, there is not too much finger print on the screen. My 64GB card balance the 8GB internal memory, It is also easier to hold a 5.7" than a 6" phone, and the price is very good. Obviously it is possible the get phone with a better spec, but for ?140 I do not fell that I have wasted my money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2