Battery life in 640 XL

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have been getting about 2 days before needing to be charged ( light use ).

Yesterday I turned the Battery Saver off and it went from 100% charge to 52% in 8 hours with almost no use. Just sitting on the desk. Did check FB a couple of times but no posting or calls made or received.

That's TERRIBLE isn't it?

At that rate it would be completely dead in 16 hours and if you used it maybe only 8 hours.

Obviously it would be nuts to turn the Battery Saver off. I didn't expect such a dramatic difference.

I'm wondering what drains the battery so fast.

Is there any way to tell?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
if you tap on battery use in battery saver it lists the apps according to their battery use. You can find your culprits that way. You can then go into background app settings and disable the culprits from running in the background all the time.

If you turn your battery saver on, it will save battery mostly by not using wifi or Bluetooth when possible I believe and keeping apps from running in background.

Mine used to run solid for 2 days without battery saver on (only on below 20%) on 8.1 update 2. Since I went to W10M I only get 1.5 days out of it. Even less when playing music (groove or n7player) for longer periods of time. I've set it up to turn the battery saver on below 20%. 1.5 days is OK with me and I believe it will get better with the final W10M.
cheers

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

I turned Battery Saver back on and also set it to come on under 75% too.
Then I turned off a bunch of stuff under Battery Use such as maps ( I doubt if I will use that. Car has navigation anyways ).
I was content with two days before but 16 hours without Battery Saver on?

Oh yeah it said system was the big user. Not much else used a lot of battery.

I mostly use it to have Cortana set reminders for me and to read in bed and carry for an emergency phone.
Cortana does a great job on reminders. Looking forward to her being able to take Notes in a future update.

Ural Kavraal

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
i'm using lumia for a long time. I used 620, 920 and now 640 xl. I can say that first times battery drains itself very fast. I think it's about that phone does something itself(maybe some adjustments) when your phone is new or just formatted. Leave it sometime. It will be better after few days and after making full charges. My 640 xl uses only %5 overnight(almost 8 hours).

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I've had it a couple of months now and at first it was getting well over 2 days and lately the battery started draining pretty fast. I thought it was an app but according to Battery Usage that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm keeping Battery Saver on all the time now. See no reason not to.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
This is not my experience. Battery life has remained solid. It may be some process running n the background. A similar thing happened to my old 920. A hard reset fixed the issue.

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I used to have the same problem not long ago. Here, on the forum I searched for help too.
My battery was very bad, almost sold the phone.
I had to hard reset the phone and to analyze why it drains the battery so fast.
In my case it was either a bugged program (I have installed so many, because the phone was new and wanted to try so many) or either I have put so many folder tiles full with different shortcuts.

Not sure if my phone was fixed by the hard reset or I could have fixed it by removing the tiles or uninstalling all the crappy programs.

Now it works great, 2-4 days stand by depending how hard I use it. It is 24/7 on WiFi or mobile data. Battery saver is set to 20%, brightness is on low auto.

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes I had to reinstall everything.

You can try first to remove all apps that you don't really need. How many tiles do you have, do you have many folder like tiles, with many shortcuts inside?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have more than one screenfull of tiles but many are full size tiles.
I set the Battery Saver to kick in below 90% and went into Battery use and you can set Background Apps from that screen and I turned almost all of them off.

Now I'm getting much longer battery life it seems.

I will have to get pretty desperate to do a factor reset and re-install everything.
This seems to be helping the situation well enough.

I don't really need email push notification etc. etc. since I am home most of the time and in front of my real computer with a real phone in front of my left hand.

Most of the use for the phone is reading in bed and calling when away from home ... like calling to ask my owner what size or brand of something she wants me to get at the store. And checking the 'net while watching TV in the evenings.

Oh yeah, the Lumia 640 XL also does a great job of mirroring to our Sony Bravia UHD tv for Skyping with owner's kids too.

And making bank deposits without having to take checks to the bank --- now THAT is one of the best uses they EVER thought of for a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes