Lumia 640 and 640 XL both have only 8GB phone memory

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I waiting for a Lumia phone to be announced at MWC that had at least 16 GB phone memory and with decent specs like the Lumia 640 XL. I'm kind of disappointed.

Now days 8GB is just too little for internal phone memory. I understand that expandable memory is up to 128GB, but the performance of an SD card ain't that good like phone storage. Also I have had serious lags on my L1320 with the SD card, phone crashing, getting hung up so I ain't a big fan of SD card storage anymore. With everything on my phone memory everything's running as smooth as butter.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had no issues with SD cards outside of the normal hiccups. I have all my games installed on a Class 10 UHS-1 Samsung while all my basic apps are stored on the phone memory. I still have 3GB left on an 8GB Lumia 535

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. I think it boils down to the type of SD cards used. You can always go for the expensive and best performing SD cards out there but it's going to be expensive. I think 8GB is appropriate. I want to see Microsoft bundles a microSD card with good performance as part of package/bundle.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering the price points, I'm somewhat impressed at what they've put in for that price point.

I think 8 GB is good, not ideal, but great for the price since I think something had to be cut.

arieljre

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
This is something I have been asking myself since a lot of time ago. Microsoft really needs to increase the amount of principal storage -phone storage- available in their phones. 8GB is just too little. You only get 5-6 GB of free space. With a 16 GB memory you could get 11-13 of free space. I know the point of the price, but I wouldn't care about paying $5 or $10 more in order to get more storage, or sacrifice one or two megapixels in the rear camera of the Lumia 640 XL. Time to hear your users, Microsoft.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I could never get my SD cards to work properly. A 32 GB I bought, after transferring all my pictures copied from my older 64 GB micro SD, said I had 62 gb of pictures when I only had about 500 MBs. It then eventually broke any files I transferred to it after the fact. I junked the card and stuck to my current one. Which I can't put ANY apps on or else they'll break after a days use, and either disconnect from the system and cause the SD scan error thing or delete all user data and make the app run from scratch every times its opened.

So case in point I need more than 8gb for any future device upgrade. So the new 640s are out of the picture.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Have a 64gb card on my Lumia 635. Some apps need to be stored in main memory, most do not. I have ask of my music on the card too, and still have some 40gb free. No performance problems. I store my photos on One Drive, so that is not an issue. Would like 16gb, but not a major issue.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I waiting for a Lumia phone to be announced at MWC that had at least 16 GB phone memory and with decent specs like the Lumia 640 XL. I'm kind of disappointed.

Now days 8GB is just too little for internal phone memory. I understand that expandable memory is up to 128GB, but the performance of an SD card ain't that good like phone storage. Also I have had serious lags on my L1320 with the SD card, phone crashing, getting hung up so I ain't a big fan of SD card storage anymore. With everything on my phone memory everything's running as smooth as butter.

That's why you don't go out and buy the cheapest card you can find, I have a class 10 64 gig sony in my 1520, and it causes absolutely no issues, I even install games/apps on it with no noticeable performance drop.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
That's why you don't go out and buy the cheapest card you can find, I have a class 10 64 gig sony in my 1520, and it causes absolutely no issues, I even install games/apps on it with no noticeable performance drop.

Where I live memory cards aren't that cheap but this time I'm gonna go on a limb and buy a good one with lots of storage.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Where I live memory cards aren't that cheap but this time I'm gonna go on a limb and buy a good one with lots of storage.

Yea, I know they are expensive, but getting cheap ones is somthing youll regret in the end anyway, just get a class 10 from a namebrand like sandisk, sony, smasung

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Yea, I know they are expensive, but getting cheap ones is somthing youll regret in the end anyway, just get a class 10 from a namebrand like sandisk, sony, smasung

For your kind info I used a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 64 GB micro SD card bought from a proper retailer outlet. Now you wouldn't call that cheap huh ?

Jeannuel

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520 (Im waiting for the 640 to come) and I dont have any issues with my Sandisk class 10 - 16 GB micro SD card.

Maybe is your microSD card. Im fine with 8GB (well, 5 GB) internal storage.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
For your kind info I used a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 64 GB micro SD card bought from a proper retailer outlet. Now you wouldn't call that cheap huh ?

meh, sandisk is kind of an iffy brand, I thought they would of been reliable, but I could be wrong about them, also, you could of had a faulty card, id mostly go with sony or samsung cards.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Wonder how many of these reported faults with SD cards are either due to a poor specification of card compared to the phone OR a fake card. Ive used a few different Sandisk & Sony memory cards over the years & never had any issues with them. Always a good idea to format a card when you first start using it in a new device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills