Buying a new phone?

Tom Bradburn

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
My 920 contract has now ended, with the build event next week and with word that no new phone will be announced there what should I do? Should I stay with my 920 until a new phone comes out later or should I get a new one either the 930 or 640. If you were in this situation what would you do?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Stay with the 920.

Just wait for the flagship. It's sooner than your think. If you asked me this question a couple of months ago, I'd say get a new phone. But now it's not gonna hurt to wait a little bit.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
MS already announced flagships at the end of the year, likely a month or two before the iPhone 6s (which hasn't technically been announced but we all know how Apple rolls).

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Depends on where you're located, who your carrier is, and what you're willing to spend.

I started with a 920, went to a 930 (best phone ever), but then went to an 830 because of no LTE on the 930 with AT&T. If I had TMo or someone where LTE was a possibility, I'd get an Icon (cheaper than 930), and use that.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
920s still a pukka phone, we all need patience.....there's a obsession for flagship phones which I find strange!
Alot if people rather buy new than used....same concept. When your paying hundreds of dollars on a phone, a strong reliable phone that can do alot, long battery life etc, those come from flagships. Not budget phones. Budgets can do alot but not as much or as efficient as a flagship. I'm on att with a busted 1520 and att is crabbed out that they don't have much WP to offer me trades. Thanks ms for assuming we don't need flagships....

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alot if people rather buy new than used....same concept. When your paying hundreds of dollars on a phone, a strong reliable phone that can do alot, long battery life etc, those come from flagships. Not budget phones. Budgets can do alot but not as much or as efficient as a flagship. I'm on att with a busted 1520 and att is crabbed out that they don't have much WP to offer me trades. Thanks ms for assuming we don't need flagships....

I don't know about that. I've had many flagship phones and many mid range and budget phones. Generally a decent mid range phone can do anything a flagship can, certainly in terms of every day use a mid range phone is sufficient for 99% of people.

This need for flagships is driven by greed, the need to show off and the desire to keep up with friends. Personally I'm over it and now buy the phone that suits me rather than the phone that adverts and peer pressure tell me I should have.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
If you plan on entering a new contract I would definitely just wait for the flagship..It would be terrible to sit there and enter another contract with a midrange phone and then watch the flagship get released right in front of your face,and literally be stuck with the midrange phone

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 1520 yesterday. Not like flagships are going to be cheap, and the Lumia 1520 hardware is still ahead of the OS. 2GB RAM should be enough despite the switch to WinRT

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll never understand this desire to get rid of a perfectly good phone once the carrier releases it from hostage. Drive it till the wheels fall off and enjoy the savings?

And I think con-tract should be flagged as a forum expletive. Coming from $700 iphones and those 2 year extortion fees I can't imagine doing that ever again especially with relatively inexpensive unlocked Lumia choices.

But that's just me.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I went with T-Mobile's 'flagship' Windows Phone a couple of years ago, the HTC 8X, and look forward to replacing it with a 640, at around a quarter the price.

The HTC is a great phone but for two or three major issues- battery life is terrible, no LTE, and T-Mobile abandoned support (such as updates, and adding WiFi Calling) shortly after it came out.

I can only hope a MS flagship will be treated better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes