So, my Brother trashed his AT&T Lumia 635 a few months back & I suggested the L640 as its replacement. He ended up buying a T-Mobile 640 at Walmart and while he has been happy with the phone, T-Mobile's coverage here in NorCal and less than stellar customer service has him wanting to switch back to AT&T.

He just refilled his account which puts him over $100 in refills so should be able to request the phone be unlocked per T-Mobiles unlock policy. Before he jumps ship, He would like to know if his phone will be fully functional with AT&T. I know he will lose WiFi Calling but will there be any other issues like will Visual Voicemail be functional with AT&T?
    Last edited by LumiaGuy; 09-29-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    09-27-2015 12:42 AM
    Based on the bands I see, it should be able to work for LTE, and Edge.
    09-27-2015 12:48 AM
    Thanks - curious as to why you're considering going from the L640 to a L532? Comparing the specs between the two phones, it looks like that would be somewhat of a downgrade to me?
    09-27-2015 12:58 AM
    Thanks - curious as to why you're considering going from the L640 to a L532? Comparing the specs between the two phones, it looks like that would be somewhat of a downgrade to me?
    Where did you see that at?
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-27-2015 01:27 AM
    Below his reply in his Signature area
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-27-2015 01:30 AM
    I'll still have the 640, but the 532 would be a backup/alternate phone. I kind of miss the smaller size phones, and also the 640 doesn't have a green back. :/
    So the 532 hits both marks, and it looks like it would be fun to play with. From what I see, there aren't many choices for Lumias with green backs, and if I was to get an unlocked 735, that would mean replacing my 640 and I still like it so I don't want to do that. The 435 is too low of specs (for my personal preference), so the 532 is kind of in the middle. Also, I'm used to Glance now so not having it would be kind of odd. Also very used to Denim too, so it just checks a lot of boxes.

TL;DR: Not a replacement, needing a Lumia with a green back (always wanted one).
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-27-2015 01:48 AM
    I think the AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cricket 640 are all RM-1073 phones. If that's the case, then it should work just fine. If they are indeed the same hardware version, you could also flash the AT&T software for the 640 on the T-Mo version with NCS (if NCS supports the 640, which I'm not sure if it does or not). I used NCS to flash the UK version software to my AIO 620 (which was forever stuck on Amber).
    09-28-2015 11:15 AM
    It's been stated in the past that you can't flash non-AT&T firmware on AT&T Windows Phones but you can on T-Mobile branded devices? Just curious. And no, this isn't thread hijacking because it's relevant to anyone switching from T-Mobile to AT&T and plans on using their 640 they got from T-Mobile.
    09-28-2015 12:46 PM
    It's been stated in the past that you can't flash non-AT&T firmware on AT&T Windows Phones but you can on T-Mobile branded devices? Just curious. And no, this isn't thread hijacking because it's relevant to anyone switching from T-Mobile to AT&T and plans on using their 640 they got from T-Mobile.
    I was under the impression that as long as the hardware version was the same, you could cross flash the software from any other phone with that hardware. I know for a phone like my AT&T 830, it's not possible since the AT&T version is an RM-983, and the international versions were RM-984 or RM-985.

I know I flashed my RM-846 Lumia 620 from aio/Cricket with the British country version RM-846, and everything works just fine (except visual voicemail).
    09-28-2015 01:26 PM
    I was under the impression that as long as the hardware version was the same, you could cross flash the software from any other phone with that hardware. I know for a phone like my AT&T 830, it's not possible since the AT&T version is an RM-983, and the international versions were RM-984 or RM-985.

I know I flashed my RM-846 Lumia 620 from aio/Cricket with the British country version RM-846, and everything works just fine (except visual voicemail).
    Not quite. AT&T uses a different signature/certificate in the bootloader, so unless you are a l33t hax0R you won't be flashing it with anything but the stock AT&T firmware. Found this out the hard way with an AT&T branded Lumia 1020 (RM-877) that won't accept other RM-877 roms. There are ways around it, for example the quite detailed and convoluted Lumia 920 unbranding tutorial, but only successful with certain devices.
    Last edited by PepperdotNet; 09-28-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    09-28-2015 02:13 PM
    Not quite. AT&T uses a different signature/certificate in the bootloader, so unless you are a l33t hax0R you won't be flashing it with anything but the stock AT&T firmware. Found this out the hard way with an AT&T branded Lumia 1020 (RM-877) that won't accept other RM-877 roms.
    Color me not surprised.... how very AT&T of them.

Since AT&T owns aio/Cricket, somewhat surprised the flash worked on my 620 then.
    09-28-2015 02:15 PM
    Color me not surprised.... how very AT&T of them.

Since AT&T owns aio/Cricket, somewhat surprised the flash worked on my 620 then.
    In the last 72 hours I have had AT&T unlock my 635 (backup) and 640 phones that I had with them to potentially use on T-Mobile. Because you can't flash non-AT&T firmware on these devices, it's pretty much a lost cause to try and use them elsewhere. Plus the logo....

And if you do manage to install a non-AT&T firmware on your phone, you pretty much prevent the Windows Phone Recovery Tool from working properly. But if you are of the level that you are flashing firmware from other countries, you already know this and how to flash with other tools. I had this issue with my 635. Now only choose to use the 8.1 build for its stability on my phone.
    09-28-2015 02:24 PM
    I'll still have the 640, but the 532 would be a backup/alternate phone. I kind of miss the smaller size phones, and also the 640 doesn't have a green back. :/.
    FWIW Was looking for a blue back for a 640 and found an eBay seller with the whole rainbow. Obviously 3rd party but....
    09-28-2015 05:58 PM
    FWIW Was looking for a blue back for a 640 and found an eBay seller with the whole rainbow. Obviously 3rd party but....
    Thank you for sharing that info with me. I have tried the third party green back from there, but sadly, it was too small. At first, it seemed like it could fit, but then I put it on and it almost broke my sd card and my phone kept turning on and off. Ugh.

Edit: I see the one with the many colors have put up their listing again, and they were the one I bought from :/
    Last edited by libra89; 09-28-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    09-28-2015 06:10 PM
    Thank you for sharing that info with me. I have tried the third party green back from there, but sadly, it was too small. At first, it seemed like it could fit, but then I put it on and it almost broke my sd card and my phone kept turning on and off. Ugh.

Edit: I see the one with the many colors have put up their listing again, and they were the one I bought from :/
    Thanks! My wife was thinking about getting a purple back.
    09-28-2015 09:56 PM
    Thanks! My wife was thinking about getting a purple back.
    You're welcome! Glad that I could save her the possible trouble of what I went through, ugh.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    09-29-2015 07:10 AM
    This is why I wish Microsoft would just release the different colored battery covers to prevent people from getting third-party knockoffs.
    09-29-2015 08:50 AM
    This is why I wish Microsoft would just release the different colored battery covers to prevent people from getting third-party knockoffs.
    Never happen. Two reasons: (1) humans can see millions of colors, (2) a good percent of the people who want another color is simply to be different.

I would MUCH rather have 3rd parties making them. The marketplace will get rid of the bad ones.

Back cover colors are a secondary consideration for a phone maker but a primary one for a cover maker. Who will do a better job?
    libra89 likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:11 AM
    Can't we have four base colors - White, Black, Orange, and Cyan?

If someone wants a lime green battery cover and a third-party can produce one that's great. I won't be buying it. I just want a cyan 640 cover. And a black one to keep around in case the blue gets too scratched up.
    09-29-2015 01:44 PM
    What a Nightmare!

I've been trying to for a week to get T-Mobile to send my Brother an unlock code for his Lumia 640. Was told he has met TM's requirements and they have said three times that the code has been sent out and to wait up to 24 hours but nothing happens. I have checked my ISP Graymail box to see if it got caught there & have double checked with TM to see if they sent it to the correct email address.

T-Mobile Customer Service is a Joke
    10-30-2015 02:07 PM
    Have you tried an AT&T SIM? Maybe it will work without an unlock, not the full service until the number is ported.
    10-30-2015 02:44 PM
    Have you tried an AT&T SIM? Maybe it will work without an unlock, not the full service until the number is ported.
    Haven't tried that but I doubt it would work based on a Google search. TM has given him 24hrs of service 3 times when they said they had sent the unlock code. My Bro has Terminal Cancer and made this aware to TM and still they can't accomplish this seemingly simple action.
    10-30-2015 04:49 PM
    What a Nightmare!

I've been trying to for a week to get T-Mobile to send my Brother an unlock code for his Lumia 640. Was told he has met TM's requirements and they have said three times that the code has been sent out and to wait up to 24 hours but nothing happens. I have checked my ISP Graymail box to see if it got caught there & have double checked with TM to see if they sent it to the correct email address.

T-Mobile Customer Service is a Joke
    I had that happen once with T-Mobile with a 521. FWIW, I got on chat and asked to talk to a supervisor who was able to look at the account to see the code they supposedly sent me and gave it to me. He said he wasn't supposed to do that, so may not be a 100% sure thing. They also counted their failed attempts as separate unlockings and I had to fight with them months later when they claimed I'd used up my yearly allocation of unlocks.
    10-30-2015 04:59 PM
    So, after four calls to outsourced CSR's located in the Philippines or some other country and having to escalate to Supervisors twice, I had to Google search the T-Mobile Corporate contact number @ 425-378-4000 as a last ditch effort to get help on this. After detailing the failure of their CSR's and explaining that my Brother is suffering from Terminal Cancer and desperately needed his phone to work, I got the help we needed. It took a wonderful lass named Kylie half an hour but she was able to furnish me with an unlock code over the phone, not via email, that worked.

Suffice it to say this ordeal has not left a good impression at all what with the extremely poor performance of the companies outsourced "Customer Service Reps". Shame on T-Mobile for subjecting their customers to aggravation like that!
    10-30-2015 08:26 PM