How do I reset the Start menu layout?

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Firstly, I don't think the "Sync my settings" thing works at all. I have done resets multiple times now (changing rings and what not). My settings are NEVER restored when I sign in to my Live account. I have to re-do them every single time. I am an Android user, and even in Android Settings sync is finicky at best. So can't really complain about that.

However, I don't see a way to 'reset' my Start menu layout to a 'default'. I played with "Show more tiles" option, turned it off. So I got two columns. Now I turned it back on, and I now see a completely empty third column, the tiles are all packed up in two columns :angry: :grin:

Any tips?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there really is a way to "restore" the Start screen to a default "layout", other than doing a full hard reset of your phone. I mean once you start customizing... It's all yours. Custom!

Of course the tiles are easy enough to resize, move around, or delete, so it'd probably only take you a couple minutes to rearrange the tiles to a default layout scheme.

That's the beauty of the Windows Phone (or Windows 10 Mobile) Start screen - it's all yours to do with as you please. Why would you even want the bland default layout anyway?

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
"Why would you even want the bland default layout anyway?"

Well, because of the exact problem I described in the original post. If Windows Phone is not smart enough to auto-arrange things when I turn "Show more tiles" option on or off and totally messes up things, I'd rather start from a default layout rather than spend many minutes re-arranging things.

In any case, thanks for your response!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon