Update to W10 now or wait for the bugs to hopefully get worked out?

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The other day I ran Upgrade Advisor and saw W10 was available for my AT&T 640.

The thing is, I'm happy with my phone on W8.1. It just does everything this non-Power User needs in a acceptable manner. I read through the threads here and see people going thru the hassle of upgrading then complaining about poor battery life on W10 and other issues and having to go thru the hassle of rolling their phones back so am very reluctant to go with the upgrade as it is currently.

What am I missing with W10 that I can't live without? If I wait, will Microsoft eventually work out the problems?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thoroughly enjoying W10M on my 640. I've not had battery issues. I got in just before Official hit and have kept on Release Ring since getting patches and fixes right along.

Anniversary Update is coming very soon and it is going to have even more features.

Right now I think the #1 advantage is deeper integration across devices. Stuff is syncing up nicely between phone and PC. Alerts/Notifications/Alarms/Reminders everywhere. Get Text notification on your laptop or PC and reply from your desktop. Or initiate and send a text from PC with Cortana.

In Phone backup you can save App data. Improved UWP access.

Camera is more powerful on the budget devices. Forced HDR on your Lumia 640.

And check this trick out I just got rolling with today. If you have W10M you can use a tool to edit your registry and get DNG capture on your device: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...141-[w10m]-enable-dng-capture-your-phone.html

I'm digging W10M. YMMV

rlouie001

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
If you bank with Bank of America, Bank of America discontinued their Windows mobile app last year around June, 2015. When I upgraded my phone to W10 I was really happy to see that Bank of America came out with a new mobile app for W10 ( Wells Fargo bank did the same). Also, if you like Star Buck, they will have their app available for W10 in a few weeks. What I am saying is that there will be a lot of new and upgraded apps for W10.
Personally, I like W10 more than W8.1, because IMO it seems more smooth and more fluid like using a PC .

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
For me any hit to battery life was neglible. But when I upgraded, I purposely reset my phone and went through the process of setting it up step by step, app by app. Aside from that, sync capabilities are good, improved apps in terms of email, calculator, camera, and so on.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, I took the plunge and installed W10 two days ago but I'm starting to think seriously about pulling the plug and rolling my phone back to 8.1.

I still have not been able to fully restore my Contacts or even find them in the Cloud for that matter. When I try to sign in at Outlook.live.com, I get the following error message -

X-ClientId: 09DFE6E3AF7740F2B30C4029803A7C78
X-Auth-Error: ADDriverStoreAccessNonLocalException
X-FEServer: SN1PR10CA0081
X-BEServer: DM5PR10MB1562

Other things I'm noticing are my battery life has taken a big hit and is draining far faster than with 8.1 and also my charging speed appears to have slowed quite noticeably. I used to be able to charge while using my phone with WiFi on - now, multiple different chargers make no headway.

This is BS from Microsoft. They had plenty of time to polish W10 up, and get the bugs out, and make upgrading a relatively seamless/painless experience.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So, thought I'd post an update...

On the advice of Werentuckl and RumoredNow, I did a Hard Reset and then a clean install of W10M. After 5 days, battery life seems to have stabilized back to around the great W8.1 levels I was used to. The charging rate has not improved though - the highest rate I have seen using Arthur Semenov's Battery app was 20% and usually only 13-15% whereas with W8.1, my 640 would usually charge at 33%. And yes, I've tried a soft reset a number of times to no avail.

Overall, I'm liking the W10M experience and am pleased with the additional features/functionality.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss