can't unlock my Lumia 640

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
im with tmobile. i am switching to a prepaid that uses tmobile network/towers. i thought that inserting a sim on a Lumia will let me have a way to unlock my phone with a code given by Tmobile, but for some reason it's not letting me. their is no pop up to put in the code when i switched the sims.

https://youtu.be/2v66QRRn4a8?t=148
from this video, a guy was able to do so from AT&T to tmobile, but this prepaid im switching to uses Tmobile towers, so I'm wondering if that is an issue.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out. the prepaid i got uses Tmobile network, so it wouldnt unlock my Lumia thats locked to tmobile. i tried an AT&T Sim, and it gave me the unlock pop up. i put the code in and it worked, but for some reason i still cannot get the data working. Seems like the prepaid service im using is very iffy

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Ah so basically the phone thought you were still using a SIM for the same provider, so there was no reason to give the option for unlocking.. nifty lol

yes and i also figured out that under cellular connection options on my lumia and my other android phone, i had to pick "4G" a drop down below "LTE" to get the data working. Between you and me, after years of advertising it on this site windowscentral, i finally looked into it and gave it a shot. I got Mint Mobile.

i was tired of paying $100+month on family plan. I rarely use data, I have wifi at home and at work. calling and texting are also rare for me, i clock about 100+ min and 100+ text and 200mb data (only when im driving or going someplace).

With mint mobile, its $15/month for unlimited calls/text and 3gb data. thats more than enough to get me through each month. thats $15 a month versus tmobile: $100+ family a month. for a year thats about $1200/year. with mint, its $180/year. im saving over $1000/year. thats a lot of money. I am usually skeptical about prepaid MVNO style, but so far i havent had any issue, data wise. I live in a city so connectivity is everywhere. Malls, banks, grocery stores, campus, work and theirs a starbucks in every corner, so thats a lot of free wifi.

only downside is i cannot paydown a phone and i have to buy them unlocked in the future.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I like when people get really honest and start picking deals that are actually cheaper, but better for the situation.

Happy you solved it! I moved this to the lumia 640 section. I also want it in the T-Mo section :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes