10-12-2015 09:25 PM
72 123
tools
    These aren't going to be the only high end phones for windows 10 mobile. Verizon just got a LG phone so maybe HTC or LG or another manufacturer may make a high end phone for CDMA users. If u want these phones simply switch from the outdated CDMA carrier. There's always been and will always be more phones available for gsm carriers. That's one of the reasons I left Verizon they are over priced and limited on phones
    10-11-2015 12:04 PM
    What you fail to realize is you are being cheated by Verizon. It's time to face your big red dog is just that, a dog. Raising prices on unlimited grandfathered plans. Real great company you got there.
    editguy likes this.
    10-11-2015 01:34 PM
    It's not Microsoft that is cheating you, it's Verizon.... Verizon screwed over Microsoft, not pushing or showing customers the option for Windows Phone, then forcing Microsoft to delay upgrades/updates to phones. This has been said in blogs and even in videos, It was clearly stated "Verizon" would not have access to these phones.

Now, CDMA is locked to a key, I wish Microsoft just included the bands for Verizon, making it a true any carrier phone, then let the users pick them up and decide.

When it comes down to it, Microsoft should get over themselves and if Verizon wants the phone, let them have it. I know Microsoft does not have the time to work on companies like Verizon but, when your holding at a 3.5% of the marketplace and Verizon is the largest carrier in the US, they should not limit the options.

One would think, letting this innovative phone to every carrier possible would be the BEST attack for this. The 950/950XL could be the phone that gains Microsoft share in the marketplace. This is EXACTLY what Microsoft needs.

It does not take a business major to see this....
    libra89 likes this.
    10-11-2015 02:03 PM
    Greetings Everyone
    Happy Sunday

I have learned a lot by starting this thread. Technically and emotionally.

Technically > About what a it takes to actually get a phone on the Verizon network plus some insider information that was enlightening. Some of us came to different conclusions about what that meant. That is OK.

Emotionally > A lot of passion (no surprise on Windows Central) about Verizon's fault vs. Microsoft's. Also some seemed to scold me personally about whining. OK.

Opinion and response.

Whining > OK guilty. I had my say and I am over it. We can close the thread if we can't get past that.

Fault > 15 year Verizon customer on Windows phone since the Thera Audiovox Thera Pocket PC Phone Information Center - Verizon Wireless & Sprint PCS

Well documented Verizon's treatment of windows phone, I was there.

What I will do as far as my feeling about Verizon. I will go to their online windows phone area and post that I would like these phones. My experience is they are pretty fair about leaving highly critical posts up for all to see as long as you keep it clean. I will call because I have to change some account stuff anyway. I will express my interest in the new phones. I will also say I am very interested in AT&T because they support the new Windows phone. The company probably knows better than I that Verizon blows AT&T away in my area. I personally am going to investigate this further because AT&T may have improved in my area although I highly doubt it.

What I will do as far as feelings about Microsoft. I am not certain about this. I have tried a critical post on the windows store about my Surface Pro 3 and it was not accepted. I will have to think about this.

I really don't care who is the most at fault at this point. I was pissed at first but I'm over it. As far as Verizon is concerned I am just used to that Windows Phone situation like the Sun coming up in the East. With Microsoft I was already aware that Verizon would not sell these devices or at least that was my understandings from what i had read but I was totally surprised they would disable those bands and protocols in firmware. I am not sitting around crying about this or complaining any more on this forum. I am just disappointed.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.

Bill
    920Walker, a5cent and aximtreo like this.
    10-11-2015 03:38 PM
    "I would have been angry in your position too but no one is forcing you to stay on windows. There are many androids to choose from ;) . You can come back to windows when its more mature."

Damn, that was harsh and a bit condescending. Suggesting a happy windows phone user move to android is not an answer to the problem. What if Williaml99, just as I, spent a good amount of money on apps from the windows store that are not available on android? Are we supposed to start over from scratch?
    10-11-2015 10:47 PM
    Greetings Everyone
    Happy Sunday

I have learned a lot by starting this thread. Technically and emotionally.

Technically > About what a it takes to actually get a phone on the Verizon network plus some insider information that was enlightening. Some of us came to different conclusions about what that meant. That is OK.

Emotionally > A lot of passion (no surprise on Windows Central) about Verizon's fault vs. Microsoft's. Also some seemed to scold me personally about whining. OK.

Opinion and response.

Whining > OK guilty. I had my say and I am over it. We can close the thread if we can't get past that.

Fault > 15 year Verizon customer on Windows phone since the Thera

Well documented Verizon's treatment of windows phone, I was there.

What I will do as far as my feeling about Verizon. I will go to their online windows phone area and post that I would like these phones. My experience is they are pretty fair about leaving highly critical posts up for all to see as long as you keep it clean. I will call because I have to change some account stuff anyway. I will express my interest in the new phones. I will also say I am very interested in AT&T because they support the new Windows phone. The company probably knows better than I that Verizon blows AT&T away in my area. I personally am going to investigate this further because AT&T may have improved in my area although I highly doubt it.

What I will do as far as feelings about Microsoft. I am not certain about this. I have tried a critical post on the windows store about my Surface Pro 3 and it was not accepted. I will have to think about this.

I really don't care who is the most at fault at this point. I was pissed at first but I'm over it. As far as Verizon is concerned I am just used to that Windows Phone situation like the Sun coming up in the East. With Microsoft I was already aware that Verizon would not sell these devices or at least that was my understandings from what i had read but I was totally surprised they would disable those bands and protocols in firmware. I am not sitting around crying about this or complaining any more on this forum. I am just disappointed.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.

Bill
    So, Bill. You say you're from southern Iowa, 20k-ish population, and in a location where you make frequent trips to Iowa City, the Quads, and St Louis....I'm guessing you're from Ottumwa. My back-up guess is Burlington. Super-proud Des Moines'r here, so I'm only an hour or two away. I've been to Ottumwa a handful of times, but I don't think I've ever been to Burlington. I was just in Fairfield for the "Twin Galaxies" thing which would've had me skirting right outside Ottumwa.

Anyway, I can related with your pain. I had been soooooo excited for the 950XL, and was very impressed by what I saw in the press event, and I'm also a Verizon user who is barred from having it. Only, for me, rather than being a long-time Windows Phone supporter, my pedigree is as an iPhone user secondarily (and currently), and historically, an Android user primarily. However, I'm trying to go multi-platform now, with two or three phones that I switch between at [TBD] intervals, and REALLY wanted to include Windows in all that!

I have been a part of the Windows Insider program since day one, more or less. With my main computer being a Mac, the insider thing started out as just a curiosity and a novelty for me, but over the course of the program, I had become totally sold on the vision, the power and beauty of 10, the universal Windows apps, "one Windows" universal OS core, Continuum, and all the rest. Not that I was prepared to go "Windows-only" nessecarily, but of the three, Windows was definitely the one I was the most passionate and enthusiastic about.

Apple, on the other hand, was my lowest priority (and the most expensive). I could get one of these three now on monthly installments, and buy the other two outright at tax time. So I opted to start off with the iPhone6+. I was also okay being on last year's iPhone model so that I could be free for the latest and greatest form Google and Microsoft.

So, you can imagine how I felt when I found out guys like you and I were getting shut out. You felt it yourself! Like you, I was initially really fired up over it and took to the forums to voice my intense frustrations! I was pretty whiney too! I was even talking about walking away from Microsoft altogether once I found out that it was MS deciding not to go with VZW, not the other way around.

But now that I've had a few days to simmer down, listen to other input, and think about things more clearly, I'm not gonna give up on MS. VZW is likely every bit as much at fault, and possibly even more so. Yeah, I'm out for this round, as even here in the Des Moines metro, which is about 30 times more populous than where you are, Verizon is so night and day better with coverage than the others (especially inside my office building in West Des Moines) that I can't justify leaving them for this phone ESPECIALLY when according to plans, it'd be just one of three for me.

Add to that the fact that my wife has been wanting to get back on VZW ever since we left them for Sprint that she would NEVER agree to leave it again just so I can dazzle my friends with Continuum. So yeah, I'm circumstantially bound to Verizon.

Instead, I'll just keep my fingers to the pulse on the matter, and when something more opportune arises, I'll jump on then. If MS and VZW can play nice and make that soon, I'll join soon. If not, then it'll have to be later. Meanwhile, instead of getting the Nexus and the Lumia at tax time, I can get the Nexus and the Pixel C, and double down on Android. I already have an iPad and a Mac, and I'll be getting a JiDe Remix mini Android desktop this month sometime, so with the tax time goodies, I'll be more or less fully immersed in both ecosystems and can start really pitting them off against each other - which is really what I want! :-)

Shoot me a message if you're ever gonna be here in the city, Bill, and maybe we can catch a coffee or something (you wouldn't believe the food options downtown these days) and chat tech some more! :-)

Cheers!

-John
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2015 11:11 PM
    "I would have been angry in your position too but no one is forcing you to stay on windows. There are many androids to choose from ;) . You can come back to windows when its more mature."

Damn, that was harsh and a bit condescending. Suggesting a happy windows phone user move to android is not an answer to the problem. What if Williaml99, just as I, spent a good amount of money on apps from the windows store that are not available on android? Are we supposed to start over from scratch?
    Every platform has its own advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide for yourself whats best for you. I have been a long time android user. Lumia 640 is my first wp. had spent a lot of money on playstore too( clash of clashs ;) ) still i switched to wp. I knew exaclty what i would be missing. If you dont like a service its better to move on instead of complaining all the the time
    libra89 likes this.
    10-11-2015 11:17 PM
    I saw the writing on the wall back when the Touch Pro came out, and dumped Verizon for AT&T (okay, it was the Fuze on AT&T) -- while I sympathize if you live in an area where AT&T doesn't get good coverage, if you can, speak with your wallet and move to the carrier that supports the devices you want. IMO, it's easier to switch carriers than to switch phone ecosystems. Heck, I switched banks (from BofA to Wells Fargo) when BofA dumped their Windows apps.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-11-2015 11:17 PM
    I think that everyone should at the very least assign equal blame to Microsoft. The delayed updates are after all their fault.

Try to recall the delayed denim update that affected L925 users on T-Mobile. Microsoft camp blaming T-Mobile, T-Mobile blaming Microsoft. Well the truth was Microsoft did not even get the updates certified until a few days after T-Mobile pushed the OTA update, signifying that it was indeed Microsoft's fault.

I am not saying the carriers are innocent. There are obvious cases such as the original Xperia Z where the firmware has been certified yet there is 0 response from T-Mobile. What I am trying to say is that Microsoft needs to put more effort into getting carrier specific features and certifications passed on time. If Microsoft was prompt in sending updates, and did not invoice carriers for phones that did not sell well then we'd have more Windows Phones running the latest software.
    10-11-2015 11:36 PM
    Every platform has its own advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide for yourself whats best for you. I have been a long time android user. Lumia 640 is my first wp. had spent a lot of money on playstore too( clash of clashs ;) ) still i switched to wp. I knew exaclty what i would be missing. If you dont like a service its better to move on instead of complaining all the the time
    That's fair! Actually, speaking for myself, it's those unique advantages of each platform that is compelling me to work towards being "multi-platform" and multi-device. I want the advantages of all of them! :-) See my reply to Bill a few posts ago for more details.

While I've had a chance to calm down quite a bit since it was revealed that we Verizon folks would be left out of the 950/950XL action for the indeterminate future, I'm still really disappointed that I'm not going to be able to be a part of what is probably the coolest phone I have ever seen!

A great many people have stated the obvious as if it were profound that I "could always switch carriers". While that may be technically true, it's not that simple. If I can use a few analogies to illustrate my point, they make the suggestion as if it's like "I didn't like this tube of toothpaste, so I threw it out and bought another one", when the reality of the situation is more like "My landlord didn't let me build a bar in the basement so I moved out", or, "they built a grocery store, rather than the movie theatre I wanted, so I moved to a different city."

There are just all kinds of entanglements involved with switching carriers, some are contractual, and universal to everyone patronizing the given company. But most are circumstantial and vary from individual to individual. Most people find themselves in the "'can', but really can't" kinda spot I'm in. I laid out my particulars in my afore mentioned reply to Bill if you're interested.

Cheers!
    10-12-2015 12:13 AM
    LOL just get an iPhone, don't you get enough is enough with WP/MS.
    10-12-2015 04:18 AM
    Thanks for the message. If we get up to Des Moines we will drop you line. I went online and checked that the nearest AT&T tower was 35 miles away from Burlington. I am going to investigate who else has GSM in our area. Also there is these MNVO networks like Cricket Wireless but they need a host network and guess who that would be.

Thanks
    Bill
    JaySeeDoubleYou likes this.
    10-12-2015 09:47 AM
    Ofcourse its personal! Its not about MS or Verizon, its about you! Glad you could share this with us. I hate all the major carriers, I guess thats why T-Mobile is picking up steam.
    oldpueblo likes this.
    10-12-2015 11:06 AM
    Verizon will one day take heat for restricting updates like they do currently. But it won't from Microsoft. It will be from the Android community. After they have some humble pie, maybe Microsoft and Verizon can work together again. For right now, it sucks because not being on Verizon is a huge loss, but I really do think that will change someday.
    10-12-2015 11:36 AM
    For the record, I did post on Verizon's site and called them. While I was having a minor adjustment on my account I shared how much I wanted the 950&XL. Customer service was totally friendly and professional. He had never heard of the 950&XL.
    10-12-2015 11:49 AM
    Verizon will one day take heat for restricting updates like they do currently. But it won't from Microsoft. It will be from the Android community. After they have some humble pie, maybe Microsoft and Verizon can work together again. For right now, it sucks because not being on Verizon is a huge loss, but I really do think that will change someday.
    Yeah, Android seems to be treated just as poorly as WP by Verizon.
    10-12-2015 12:04 PM
    Yeah, Android seems to be treated just as poorly as WP by Verizon.
    [

Umm, no. Every year, all kinds of new android flagships arrive at VZW. Last WP? Icon. What a joke. It was a good phone, but it's dead. The only new phone you can get now is the 715. Again, a good phone (although not anywhere near even the old Icon) but that's it. Want another WP? Used is you choice. That's not changing any time soon, if at all. Updates? On WP? One VZW? Riiiiight.

If you want an up to date phone on Verizon, you have two OSs to choose from. Android or iPhone. If you want support of any kind, it's android or iPhone.
    Sedp23 and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-12-2015 05:46 PM
    Spot on. This isn't about Microsoft supporting their phone on Verizon, this is Verizon's sales people not selling Windows phones. And I am on Verizon. Nothing I wouldn't like more than the 950 or 950XL in hand, but Verizon was left off of the list because of the lack of sales. Verizon had the opportunity to have a third ecosystem to compete with Apple and chose not to support it. Easier for them to support Android for which they created the anti-apple. Seriously, if you were Microsoft, would you take a bad deal from Verizon only to have them not train their people to sell these phones? I have a picture of the HTC M8 with Windows under a "powered by Android" in a Verizon store. So, if you were Satya, what would you do?
    Kevin Rush, MikeLip and editguy like this.
    10-12-2015 06:07 PM
    His problem is not that windows phone have not matured, but more of the shenanigan between MSFT and VZN, the difference is, he is faulting MSFT for the fallout (Maybe justifiably so). I am TMO is in your area, or one of the other small carriers that uses GSM network. I brought that up because Assuming you have all the facts, chances are VZN might be to blame and if so, and as you shared above about your likes for windows product, You might want to dish Verizon versus dishing MSFT.
    I use TMO strictly because of their pricing and the fact that their plans are structured such that our 3 teenage kids cannot cause data overage damage, if they finish all their LTE data size, they get throttled I don't get hit financially while not seeing it coming, please not because they have greatest network. Wife and I plan to get 950 and 950xl respectively, but TMO's name did not show up, If MSFT was not offering unlocked as they have announced, I am dishing TMo, probably leave our kids on TMo and Wife and I on AT&T, I would not dish Windows, they are the best in the world devices wise, but they have those niche that I feel comfortable with. We have 2 L1520, 1 L640XL, 1 L640, 1 BLU-HD and a traitor in our house that dearly love with iPhone 5. As you can tell, non of those phone were for TMo, we bought all of them unlocked. I am not changing platform, I am windows mobile to stay, I will switch a carrier that has no alternative network to accommodate my windows mobile devices in a heartbeat, contract deals are no more vogue, folks are learning to buy their phones, about time for carriers to simply provide network at competitive prices.
    libra89 and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-12-2015 06:11 PM
    I've been with the carrier that became Verizon for over 20 years. When the first Win 8 phones came out, Verizon ordered the manufacturers to turn off certain features, including the Message Text Grouping capability that is totally standard. Of course they denied it until HTC and Samsung showed the written build orders to the media. Why did they do that ? I wanted to know so I had extensive phone conversations that reached behind the block walls used to isolate administration. It was never about customers or technology. Check out why Pebble doesn't work on WinPhone ! You'll get the drift.

I then did some research at the local stores and found that corporate, and store management, essentially had no interest in selling Win Phones. They actually only wanted to sell their high commission Android varieties, and gave me a hard time when I wanted to get an iPhone for my wife. ( I took my business to the Apple store instead ). In fact, several of my clients and friends were actively pushed away from Windows phones in the corporate stores, even to the point of pretending an Android was a win phone, and then charging them a restocking fee when they took it back after discovering the lie ( within 24 hours ).

I also spent time talking with people at Microsoft through this period, and knew the many offers of training, support, etc. they had offered to Verizon, but corporate loved not cooperating with the company.

Adding CDMA requires engineering time, and support time. Why waste that precious resource only to have Verizon sandbag the phones and then claim no one likes them ? Even though the Icon had a 98% satisfaction rating on Verizon's own website, the people in the store claimed no one bought, or kept, them.

I have to use Verizon because of the coverage and my business needs. However, I do not blame Microsoft for not wasting time and money going down that road. Any person from Verizon who claims they were interested is just telling a bold falsehood ! I spent a ton of time in these discussions with people who were open, and honest, on both sides, and came away with the conclusion that Verizon gets 100% of the blame.

So I can't get one of the new phones ! For now I'm using an iPhone 6+ because of some apps I need, and I have a second line with my Icon. It will do all I need for now, and my budget will be stretched anyway upgrading to a Band 2, and Surface Book.

For those who want to jump on Microsoft's case, maybe you should step back and look at what they have accomplished in the past year, what they are trying to do for their customers overall, the complexity of the task before them, and then ask why they need to be abused further by Verizon. Seriously, 110,000,000 devices have been converted to Win 10 for FREE. Who does that ? Please, give Microsoft some credit. Have you ever heard of Verizon giving you stuff for free ?
    10-12-2015 08:55 PM
    I'm sorry. You're blaming Microsoft because of the way Verizon has SCREWED them over for the last five years? I've been with Windows phone since 2010 (Trophy, 822, 928, Icon) so I've been there every step of the way and I'm glad that Microsoft finally refused to stop being treated like a second-class citizen by Verizon. The only carrier to treat them worse is Sprint. Coincidentally, they both happen to be CDMA carriers. When a new iphone launches and you go to the Verizon website, what do you see, iPhone everywhere. You see it on the main page, when you log into your account, you get messages about the iphone, when you click on a device upgrade, it's the first phone they show you, even months later. When have they ever done that with any Windows phone? When was the 8.1.2 update released? How many Windows phones have it? When 8.1 first came out, it took them eight months to "approve it" despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with it. I joined the preview program so I had been using it for months without incident. When was the 735 released to the rest of the world? How many months later did Verizon release it to little fanfare and no models available in the stores, after Android flagships had already been released by Samsung? And you're blaming Microsoft.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I could go on but there really is no point. If you're blaming Microsoft despite all the facts to the contrary, there really is no point.
    Kevin Rush, GrayW0lf and editguy like this.
    10-12-2015 09:03 PM
    Thanks everyone for participating here.

The Verizon thing is certainly a hot subject.
    There are other threads that cover the frustrations expressed.
    We encourage all to seek out these other discussions and continue there in a civil fashion.

Closed
    10-12-2015 09:25 PM
72 123