Lumia 950 XL Random Reboots

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I went to the store where I got the phone, and exchanged it for a new one, they tested the new one in the store, and so far no rebooting.
Perfect proof! Same for me: new phone, same tests, ZERO reboots, instant happiness.

This does indicate a hardware issue
It would be so much easier if Microsoft would aknowledge the hardware issue. I spend hours and hours trying to fix it but if it's a hardware issue there is no chance.

finally getting to enjoy it.
This is so true! Same here! No reboots, very little cover creaking, really ok 1 day battery life with moderate to heavy use, pretty snappy OS with version 10586.00.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
T

I was lucky enough to get a replacement via amazon within one day but maybe you should consider replacement as well. My new one also has a lot less back cover creaking! Like super little only.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get a replacement. There's a MS store about 5 minutes from the house...going to take a field trip tomorrow and see if they have some in stock for exchange.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Good luck :)

Update from my side: The phone decided by itself to download update 10586.29 (Insider not activated on this phone). Taking forever to install the update but I am already seeing the spinning gear wheels. I will then test again if the phone will reboot when writing on my SD card. If so then it clearly is a software issue. If not then it clearly is a hardware issue.

XHotSniperX

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Lol since like 3 days or so my phone started to reboot every hour. It happens also when it's on idle. Windows 10 Mobile is beta or even alpha for sure.

Lumia 950 XL Single SIM.
64 GB SD Card installed, no apps on it. Just Music.
Did a hard reset to get update 10586.29 and did nothing else than just installing my apps again. WTF???

Since the update 10586.36 the reboots are gone ☺ juhuiii

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Congrats! Great to hear!! Enjoy your phone now :p

I also have an update: Just installed .29 and did the typical write / read test to see if the phone crashes due to SD card usage. And no it doesnt reboot. This again hints that the SD card write => reboot issue is a hardware problem!

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that it is starting to look like a hardware issue, I might pop into Carphone warehouse and see what they say.

I found another 64gb card (a class 10 one) so tried it out. All seemed ok until I was playing a pod cast in the car today and it rebooted itself. Not good timing as it was a kids show and my son went mental!

Back to my 2gb one for now.

I tried sd card test app but couldn't get either my old 64gb one or my even older 2gb one to fail. Even though my 64gb one suffered a reboot in use. I couldn't test my u3 64gb one as I took it back for a refund this morning.

So
64gb u3 pny - loads reboots in hours
64gb sd xc mystery brand 1 reboot in 24 hrs
2 Gb not even labeled 4Mb/s card no reboots in 4 or5 days.

The plot thickens!

DrAndyPerry

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 950 XL and it seems to be suffering from the same random reboot problem caused by SD card. I got SanDisk ULTRA SDXC 128 GB 80MB/s one. If I take it out, there are no reboots, except that File Explorer crashes as soon as I open it (Probably due to the pointless recent files feature, which sadly cannot be turned off, unlike on PC). Sigh... I'm going to try and see how it works with my older 48MB/s 128GB SD card once I back everything up...

I was really happy to finally get a premium lumia with an SD card slot, but It's been a huge disappointment so far... I hope they'll release some sort of software update soon.

I bought the same SD card and I'm also having reboots. Just accessing the card makes the phone reboot. Transferred songs from PC and it kept rebooting. I tried putting the songs in the internal memory first, then used the file explorer app to move songs from phone to SD, still got reboots. Yesterday I bought a 16gb Samsung sd card 48mb/s. Transferred songs without a problem. Haven't had any reboots yet. Now I don't know if its the size of the card or the format. I don't want to buy a 128gb Samsung card just to have the same problems.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My bet is this is a hardware issue. I just got a 950xl and am suffering from this issue. The device is in limited supply and I bet this is why it is not fully available from the MS store.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I also had lots reboots, during the initial setup of my 950XL Dual Sim. Using a 64GB Sandik extreme card, formatted it in the phone.I think it is a software issue. I setup everything to be stored on the SD card, except for Apps. I had no reboots when downloading offline maps, or downloading 5GB of music in Groove music with my music pass. I also don't have problems when taking pictures that are stored on the SD card...

BUT as soon as I select the "share" option of a picture I took and select share photo --> reboot :(
When I go to the appropriate message app first (Whatsapp) and select attach image + select the image, it works flawlessly...
Have to test 4k recording...

Edit: 4k video recording tested, after 00:01 phone rebooted^^ maybe it depends on the amount of MB/s that are being transferred from/to the card?
Edit2: I now for the first time also had a message pop up after reboot, that theres seems to be a problem with the SD card and if I want to scan & fix it... chose yes --> reboot^^
Edit3: After the reboot from edit2, everything seems to work for now, recorded 1min of 4k video, shared pictures, all without reboots... I do some further tests --> after that I recorded 4k again, reboot after ~01:30.. after that I recorded again, stopped at 5min, no reboot, so seems totally random :(

Last edited:

Tilan123

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
This issue has been making things very miserable for me.
I bought my phone from B&H and had it shipped here to Australia.
I'm using the 64GB Samsung Pro + and the phone has been a constant rebooting nightmare.

I do have the option to get it exchanged for a new one, but seeing that B&H is only getting their next batch on the 25th of January, it's going to be a big inconvenience.

I do want to know though...there is meant to be a firmware update rolling out slowly that apparently has made :"Improvements for SD memory card support". That doesn't promise a permanent fix...only "improvement".

So is there anyone that can report if this firmware update has fixed the annoying microSD reboot issue?

It's extremely disappointing that Microsoft has had ZERO communication with customers who have paid a lot of money for this phone. I have tried writing to Gabe Aul on twitter but I was obviously ignored. :angry::unhappy:

I've been a Windows Phone fan since buying my first HTC 7 Trophy, (Then upgrading to a Lumia 925). If this 950XL didn't have the SD card problem, it would be PERFECT. If the problem persists till the end of January...goodbye Microsoft, I'm going to have to decide between Apple or Android. They've really tested my patience this time. They could have rolled out the firmware update as an immediate action to fix the SD card issue, but they're rolling it out at a snails pace allowing customers to get frustrated and return their units. Why are they being this stupid?

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Not much of an update but a little one so thought I'd report back.

I joined the insider programme to get the .36 update popped my 64Gb card in hoping all would be well but had it reboot on me :-(

Went into Carphone Warehouse to ask them about my options an they won't replace the phone until their "engineer" software says it's faulty. Trouble was their "engineer" software hadn't been updated to test the 950xl, and anyway they didn't have any more 950xls in stock to swap it with!

No memory card in at the moment. Not a good first few weeks with the device.

DrAP

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same issues, but after the FW Update they all disappeared, didn't have a single reboot since the FW update...

hfrmobile

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The issue occurs on my phone since 2015-12-05 ... No phone update installed recently, so I have to assume, that an app/background task is the cause... Lumia 920...
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_530 using Tapatalk

snoopy1492

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I have one reboot per day, almost always around 8-12PM.
What I've found, is that during the few days I spent in Germany for the holidays where I had the wifi off for the whole trip I had no reboot, not even a tiny one :)
I have not yet received the firmware update (insider .36) so I can't speak to it, but at least for my unit I think the reboot are wifi related ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes