Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ado CiVoN

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you on this one. People that are buying a device like this are the type that visit these forums, do their research and know what they are getting into. Information is so easily available and in abundance with the internet now that finding what this phone was all about, the state of Windows 10 for mobile is like and also the reviews that are coming, people can easily make a rational decision.

Hence, if you don't like the phone, return it within 30 days and buy something that to you, is better. Just do your research and if the 950/950 XL is your dream phone, you should be willing to wait.

I disagree with DeathMoJo and PepperdotNet. Sorry guys but I think it is unacceptable to sell a device that is "incomplete". It is not the phone's fault obviously but the OS is far from polished. This is not good for M$ because it will and should give them a bad reputation. Before you hate me here :), I have a Lumia 930, had a 900, 800 and a Samsung Omnia 7. Oh and the countless Windows Phone recommendations that I've made. Only one device was a worry. The Lumia 800 which had the battery death issue.

What I am also not suggesting is to give up or deviate from Windows Mobile 10. I believe in the platform and hopefully will join it with the 950. What I can't justify is buying a brand new phone and put up with Loading screen when you try to open a new message, an unfinished and unpolished OS on a brand new device.

Therefore I'm waiting for the price to drop :) In the meantime though, Microsoft will be slammed for their incomplete software. And look at the hardware issues too - Surface Book.

I would like them to succeed but how do you sell a device stating that "Thank you, you're helping us create a better Windows today for tomorrow!" and "Thank you for your $$$$".
The target audience for their software/hardware should not not be you and me and other forum members. We make 0.000000001% of the market :).

treiz

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
meh, I don't get all the hate. My 950xl has been solid save for the battery life issue that was fixed in the update. Even with the issue I was able to get a day out of it or nearly so. I never did understand the internet hysterics, if you don't like the phone take it back. I don't understand what is gained by crying about it on the internet, but then, I don't have that much time to waste....

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
This thread is pathetic.

I've had no issues with my 950xl and my battery life is far exceeding that of my 1520. The camera is out of this world (I recently went to Melbourne) and took amazing pictures and stunning videos there and at the Taylor Swift Concert. In terms of build quality i have no issues and im not having any restarts.

Seriously if you don't like the phone, return it and stop complaining.

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Why, and what kind of problems. I have 640, 1520 and 950 XL, working well together with WP10, all of them. I?m absolutely happy with my 950 XL. My experience is that, all phones have good days or bad day, all depends on - internet connection, bad apps who have seriously problems, and maybe the biggest problem, us = the user.

But again, it?s minimum of problems WP 10 makes, I?m absolutely happy with the ?Windows 10 concept and OneDrive, all together. I like it and I need it, it?s simply the best.

bommer15absl

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I had a few issues in the first 24 hours, but they've all been resolved now. They were mostly down to restoring my 1020 on 8.1 to my 950XL. I decided to screw the restore and created it as a new phone. That fixed all except one problem - messages. My text messages on my 950xl were about a year out of date. I just enrolled my 1020 into the insider program, upgraded it to w10 and everything was synced up in about an hour. the 1020 had loads of duplicate messages, but It's now going to be my w10 testing phone and the duplicates aren't syncing so it doesn't really matter.

I wish the batter life was a bit better, It seems to drain fairly quickly. It's not bad, it's just not great. Slightly worse than my 1020. It probably just needs re-calibrated.

Charles Goin

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
ACtually its the 14th and they still dont have any in stock.. >.<

What happened with just "Pre-Ordering" and waiting on back orders to come in...?

Debating on getting it or the 950 or just a 640 unlocked.

My 930 is a global variant and missing some T-mobile bands and the screen is cracked.. the 640 LTE, 950 and 950XL have all the T-mo bands.

Fictivision

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Been having my 950XL for exactly 2 weeks.I was a little bit sceptical the first 2 days mainly cause battery was draining really fast,maybe after half a day I had to charge it.But now its all much much better.I didnt experiance any odd restarts or freezes with my phone,everything works fine and smooth.
Im comming from Lumia 1520 and its sooo good to finally have a phone that doesnt register one touch as two,that iritated me alot on 1520.
With few more updates this will be one of the best phones on the market.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
... The microsoft stores and the online is not even connected. If you buy it out of the store you can not send it back or call microsoft. You got to find a store to take it back and they act like they didn't want to held. When they finally said that they will replace the phone , they made me pay for the ship and refused to help with the shipping. ...
My Microsoft store (Northpark and Stonebriar in Dallas) are completely different. I had an issue with the Microsoft Band 1 and also ordered the Band 2 online, but they routed it through Canada so that I didn't get my Band 2 on release day. So a day after Band 2 release day, I went to checkout the Band 2 while I was waiting on my Band 2 shipment to go through customs.

They said I could buy the Band 2 there and they'd return the one I ordered through the online store free of charge. I bought two Band 2's onsite (one for the wife). Three days later I returned to the store with my Band 2 from Canada and my defective Band 1. They returned them both, no charge, no getting an RMA... THEY HANDLED IT ALL.

I didn't have to get the manager to share my accolades for the team, because he was one of the 3 helping me. Yes, 3 people worked together to make the process quicker.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
What's the problem with the phone needing to be within a foot of your face to unlock it? Isn't that somewhere approaching where it would usually be anyway? To use a fingerprint reader you have to actually touch it. Just saying it seems to be a moot point to me.

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't get it to work without lifting my glasses up with my left hand, making it a two handed operation. It made iris scanning just a little inconvenient. My Surface Pro 4 has no trouble with facial recognition glasses or not.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Just a word to everybody about battery life. It's common for new batteries to behave erratically and drain quickly for the first few charges, and in some cases they can take several weeks to settle in. I know, we sell them for a living. Best advice is to charge overnight the first time, manufacturers recommend between 12-24 hours. Then drain fully and recharge fully 4-6 times for at least 8 hours. It seems to vary from battery to battery.

The problem starts because people want to play with their new phones as soon as they get them which is totally understandable of course, I'm no different to anybody else in that respect.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Uh.. why would anyone pay over retail for any phone? If you're doing that - you're a terrible consumer...
Sometimes you see it on ebay - people in markets where the phone isn't available will sometimes spend more to get someone to ship it to them. That's what most of the release day iPhone hype is about. People buy the max they can and sell them to rich people in countries where they aren't available.

I couldn't get it to work without lifting my glasses up with my left hand, making it a two handed operation. It made iris scanning just a little inconvenient. My Surface Pro 4 has no trouble with facial recognition glasses or not.
Yeah, I wish they had used the same tech as the SP4. I'm guessing it takes up a lot more space.
My SP4 will unlock when I'm sitting at my desk and turn at look at it from like 3ft away. Its very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peterh56

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Bought my 950XL on Thursday and I am loving the phone, far nicer than my 920 the only issue I have had is that Here Maps is not installed and that is a Here problem. I don't think the installed maps is as good.
So far have had no problems with Edge on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes