Microsoft Complete deductible just doubled.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just went to save a copy of the Microsoft Complete terms and discovered the deductible has doubled for the 950 and 950XL if Complete was purchased on or after Thanksgiving (November 26th).

Here is a link to the page you can download the terms and conditions from: Microsoft Complete Warranty - Microsoft - USA

If you are like me, having a $49 deductible was a factor in buying the phone AND for buying Complete. I dodged a bullet by buying both the day before Thanksgiving.

I sure hope Microsoft is telling people who buy after the 25th about the change. I'm sure a lot if not most Complete buyers researched it before buying the phone and would just say yes when asked if they wanted to add it to their phone purchase.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tweet to Gabe that this is not really a great way to treat your new users? How about turning it into a promotion like "Until Dec 31, get complete and pay only $49 deductible" rather than "Hey guys, we're screwing over day-two adopters. Happy Thanksgiving!".

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Not just the deductibles changed:

This is from the page linked above as it was on Nov 26:

• Contract Phone: 2 claims throughout the duration of the Microsoft Complete coverage period. Deductible of $49 per claim applies to Accidental Damage Claims: Limit. Only applicable if you purchased Complete with accidental damage coverage.
  • Non-Contract Phone: 1 claim throughout the duration of the Microsoft Complete coverage period. No Deductible for Accidental Damage Claims: Limit.
Now the page says:

• 1 claim throughout the duration of the Microsoft Complete coverage period. A deductible will apply to Accidental Damage Claims. Please see the Terms and Conditions for the specific deductible amount for your particular plan.
So they way I am reading this the number of claims has been reduced in addition to the deductible being raised to $99 (per the terms document).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Apple allows two incidents, so amazingly we seem to have found a situation where apple is cheaper than MS: Clumsy people who break their screen twice are better off with Apple. What?!

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I went to the Microsoft Store yesterday to add Microsoft Complete to the 950 XL I pre-ordered, and the associate handed me a small pamphlet that still says I have two accidental coverage with a deductible of $49 each time. Hopefully they will honor that.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I bought Complete on Thanksgiving day (because they wouldn't allow anyone to pick them up until then at my local Microsoft store) and it cost me $99. I was insistent on the fact I'd seen folks purchase it for $49 already. But, they said it had to of been a mistake. There was actually no mention of how many replacements either and I assumed it was 2. It would be a complete joke to only allow 1 replacement over a 2 year period.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just for the heck of it I made a comparison table between the 950XL, Nexus 6P, and iPhone 6s Plus, all with accidental damage protection. For two oops moments the XL is way more expensive than either of the competitors. No bueno.

comparison.jpg

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
So at this point it sounds like SquareTrade is a better all around deal. Same initial price, lower deductible, multiple incidents covered, and you don't need to live near a MS store to get it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just for the heck of it I made a comparison table between the 950XL, Nexus 6P, and iPhone 6s Plus, all with accidental damage protection. For two oops moments the XL is way more expensive than either of the competitors. No bueno.

View attachment 118031
To translate:

"I was trying to make it look like I'm objective, but I made a row called "Fugly," and it made me looked like a petty ******.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This was my receipt for the Complete that I got.

YagYv9D.jpg

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This was my receipt for the Complete that I got.
Lucky you, that's the day (or two days?) before they changed the terms. On Black Friday I paid $99, and apparently you can have two replacements, whereas people like myself who bought complete two days later and for double the money get only one replacement.

The actual MS Complete page lists the new terms under V3: microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/microsoftcomplete

Version 3 as of Nov 26: "If the MSRP of Your covered Product is $400 or more: a $99 Deductible per covered Claim must be paid."

and

"For Breakdown and ADH Covered Claims: Aggregate Repair & Replacement Limit: repairs to Your covered Product up to the amount equal to the Original Purchase Price of the covered Product, or one (1) replacement in lieu of repairs; whichever occurs. Once this limit has been reached, Our obligations for Breakdown and ADH Coverage will be considered fulfilled and Coverage under Your Plan ends."

Last edited:

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
considering phone screens only cost $100 these days, insurance is pointless imo

Maybe, depends on the phone I think. I broke my 1020 screen and replaced it myself, it was not really hard with one screw needing to be loosened and a spludger to pry it up a bit. The 1320 was fairly impossible with basically complete dis-assembly required. Wonder what the procedure is with these?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It absolutely depends on the phone, many phone screens cost far more than just buying another one used. If it's relatively new though, there won't be any used ones for a reasonable price. The Lumia 928 is a perfect example.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This is no longer true. Majority of high end smartphones require full screen assembly that can cost anywhere from $100 to $300, depending on the phone, screen and size. Given that 950 screen is GG3, there is no way it costs $100. Some phones also require professional assembly (1520 is one of them), therefore Microsoft doesn't even bother replacing screens, they replace the entire device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99