Closing apps running in the background??

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I am an ex android user, so this is a question is coming from an ex user. Anyways... ever morning before I start my day, I go in and close all the running app in the background one by one. Is there a way to not have to close them down one by one? Is there a way to close them all down by a click of a button? (yea I know sounds very lazy like question, but I was curious.)

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not yet, but you should use the Windows Feedback app to up-vote any similar items that you find there. If enough people vote, something might get done about it.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yea I don't know why, but I find that a tiny bit annoying to have all those apps running in the background even though I know WM 10 handles it very well... I find myself closing them all the time lol

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm gonna be THAT guy and point out that not closing the apps on W10m is actually better.

(Disclaimer: 4 year Android guy and diagnosed with close-all-apps-syndrome)
I did the same from the first day I bought my first WP till one week ago.

After really pushing myself NOT to close the apps from the app switcher, I have found out that on W10m actually leaving the apps with the Windows button and using the app switcher only to switch apps (just like the name suggests) is the best option, both battery-wise and speed-wise.
(of course you can close the apps you use once in a while)

I know it sounds kinda silly/ strange/ counter-intuitive, but W10m actually does a fine job with tombstoned apps which consume less resources than having to close each app and then open it up again.

I know it's hard to leave apps exist in the app switcher, but if you can pull of the first day, you'll see the convenience!

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Back/Backwards (<-) button, does not close an App, it sends it to a background, like Minimize or Tab on PC.
They really should implement closing Apps completely, in my opinion not with additional button, but with pushing (<-) twice. Some Apps have this feature it-self, and it is perfect, could really be default for/in OS.

Additionally, Forward feature in some cases would be useful too.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
ok - i also close all my apps one by one every time i am about to lock the phone...
i get REALLY good battery life on my 950XL dual sim - can get 2 days use out of it with 15% or more left still.... and thats with being on LTE and wifi and using it.
However, i will have to try leaving the apps open to see if it makes a difference or not as i have now got about a month of usage doing it one way...

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Lol I'll have to explain it on the N-th topic. Apps do NOT run in background. They DO NOT consume resources. Terminating them WILL use resources and start them up again WILL use even more, also you'll lose the state the app was. Microsoft published documents about this topic.
Ps. Read about background agents too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit