Noticeable performance hit using Mozo back covers

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a Mozo back cover for about two weeks, and have now switched back to the stock cover. Though the Mozo covers look great, they do not allow the phone to dissipate enough heat. I noticed that with the Mozo cover on, the longer I used my phone, the phone would begin stuttering and lagging no matter what I was using it for. I decided to run some same condition performance tests by turning the phone off, letting it cool down, and then going to several websites with embedded video. I ran this test several times, switching covers and going to the same websites. Each time I had the mozo cover, after about 10-15 minutes of continued use, I would start seeing input lag, video stutter, and a variety of oher issues. When switching back to the original cover, the issues would not appear.

I bought two mozo covers, so I am going to see if I can find some way to modify one to help it dissipate heat more efficiently. In the mean time, I would definitely suggest NOT purchasing one of these covers if you care about phone performance. If you use your phone lightly, you will be fine - but if you are a heavy user like myself, it is just too much of an issue.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've got two Mozo backs for each of the two 950's, and haven't noticed anything like this on either device, with either back. The 950XL does get hot under heavy usage, but it's still buttery smooth in operation.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had a black one on for over 2 months and never had an issue, including during intensive tasks (video recording, games, Edge, video playing, etc etc).

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Same for me, I am using a all black one and a brown one on a 950XL - no problems whatsoever. I am using it for extended Youtube streaming (1080p) while charging e.g. - no problems noticed.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
For those saying you have no problems, I would suggest running test using both covers. I was on the back cover for a long time while waiting on my mozo cover, so was accustomed to how the phone worked before. The phone runs, just no where near as well as with the original back cover on. That is why I said above that if you are not a heavy user (and if you don't care about overall performance as much as I do), then the covers should be fine for you.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
you said the phone stutters and lags no matter what you do with the case on, not minor differences in performance. My device with a Mozo cover on doesn't stutter or lag.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Jazmac, the claim or possibility is deffinetly not unreasonable or nonsense. Of course, heat dissipation can be an issue and will be different with the leather back. Also I do not doubt the OP that he is experiencing that.
The thing is, however, that his device might run hotter than normal / other devices, or the cooling solution is less efficient, therefore going into thermal throttling. As he says himself, for light / normal usage, you might never notice anything.
Personally, I do not see it on my device, even with high usage. Still it is reasonable.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Jazmac, the claim or possibility is deffinetly not unreasonable or nonsense. Of course, heat dissipation can be an issue and will be different with the leather back. Also I do not doubt the OP that he is experiencing that.
The thing is, however, that his device might run hotter than normal / other devices, or the cooling solution is less efficient, therefore going into thermal throttling. As he says himself, for light / normal usage, you might never notice anything.
Personally, I do not see it on my device, even with high usage. Still it is reasonable.

So what kind of heat are you talking about that is enough that will affect data moving about on a smart phone? How much heat are you saying is being generated in the OP's phone using a cover other than the one provided by MS? The other thing is data movement is the cause of any kind of thermal throttling, if there even is such a thing on a cell phone processor. NO ONE could keep a cell phone in its ON state in their front pockets or wedged in those massive leather pocketbooks my wife carries for very long

I don't know what is causing the OP's issues other than a badly built phone, which many of them are. I mean they use poorly trained, 8 dollar a month labor to build these things in many cases. Could be an application or applications not optimized for Windows 10 Mobile, bad ram, faulty processor and any number of issues, long before I look at a Mozo cover. Which is why I'm not sold on the idea that the standard 950 could be affected by a back cover. And no, it is not reasonable to make such a leap.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've recently gone back to the red Mozo back again (from the smooth, brown Mozo one) and it does feel like the handset actually runs hotter now, but I still don't see any difference in performance compared to the black plastic back, the brown Mozo back or even no back at all.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a performance degradation in very intensive tasks. It's particularly noticeable in the (free) game "free slots fun factory" for example after playing for a while. For most usage there is no difference.

For the people saying it's not an issue - have you tried doing something intensive that will heat the phone up a lot (and drain battery fast), such as the above game?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2