Store "trickle-in" updates oddness?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else notice this? I've been seeing it for quite awhile now, but it seems to be getting worse, maybe since .420, but I haven't actually charted it.
I go to the store, and there are maybe 2-3 updates, maybe more/less, sometimes as many as 5-7.
Update these, and then check again, for more updates, and sure enough, there are a couple more.
The second check usually does it, I don't recall anytime where a third check was fruitful.

It's odd though, I get why if there were cumulative updates, this behavior would make sense. Today, for example, though, I had 3 Office updates, and then an AT&T update, which only showed up after my 2nd check.
I suppose it's possible the 2nd check updates are only getting posted in-between my checks, but I doubt it, I've seen this a LOT, so much that I almost always check twice.
I don't let my store run background, before someone asks, I tend to disable most stuff I don't want to "surprise drain" my phone;-]

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows Update on a PC can display the same behaviour. I believe what's happening is that when updates become available, they are made available to process. However, you likely are not actually looking for updates at that moment, so they sit there until you open the Update window. By the time you do that, more updates may be available. However, they will not show unless you refresh the Update window.

My thought process is hard to explain, but it makes sense to me! :smile: I'll try to demonstrate here with a hypothetical timeline:

10:00 AM: an update is pushed out. This is sent to the Update window as available. However, you do not have the Update window open, so it sits there available for the time being.
11:00 AM: another update is pushed out. However, the Update window is already populated with available update(s), so this one does not show (yet).
11:30 AM: you open the Update window, and the update from 10:00 AM is shown as available. You process the update. You then check for updates, and the update from 11:00 AM appears.

Make sense?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, mine's a little different, here's an approximation of today's for example
3:30 PM Updates available for Excel, Word, OneNote (not the sure the last, but it was 3 office components)
3:32 PM Updates done, check for updates again
3:33 Update available for AT&T app

I completely get the "staggered" updates, and some have dependencies, so they have to install sequentially, understand that too (I've actually written quite a bit of custom setup code, some time back, so I've had to build these dependency structures into setups).

I don't think my scenario is either, the AT&T update wasn't dependent on those Office ones, and unless it was really weird timing, I doubt it "just happened" to get published two minutes after I installed those others, make sense?

This is typical, I've often found more updates, immediately after installing the first set, I've had maybe a dozen such scenarios, where I install some store app updates, and then a matter of maybe 1-3 minutes later, there are more available, if I "check for updates" after the first set is done.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Happened again today, after I was doing a hard-reset.

Was Muzzley (home control app), really dependent on Viber (VOIP app)?
Or were updates for both really released just a minute or two apart? Seems pretty suspect, to me.
I think there's a catalog history you can view, to check update publishing times.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think my scenario is either, the AT&T update wasn't dependent on those Office ones, and unless it was really weird timing, I doubt it "just happened" to get published two minutes after I installed those others, make sense?

Yeah it would be a freak thing if the AT&T update "just happened" to be released in that very narrow time window. I don't even know for sure if my hypothetical situation is valid, but it seems to work that way on PC updates. I have no way to verify it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar