Worth updating to anniversary already?

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been on the Release preview ring for quite some time now, basically after microsoft bumped fast ring to the (back then) instable red stone branch without even warning people. With Anniversary Update right around the corner I find it hard to wait and I'd like to join the fast ring for just the anniversary update.

Is the current build completely stable?
Can I just drop out of the Fast Ring after updating and revert back to Release preview, without resetting my phone? After releasing Windows 10 this was impossible due to being on the Red Stone branch already
Should you reset your phone after installing the anniversary update, or is just upgrading aldo stable enough?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I've been on the Release preview ring for quite some time now, basically after microsoft bumped fast ring to the (back then) instable red stone branch without even warning people. With Anniversary Update right around the corner I find it hard to wait and I'd like to join the fast ring for just the anniversary update.

Can I just drop out of the Fast Ring after updating and revert back to Release preview, without resetting my phone? After releasing Windows 10 this was impossible due to being on the Red Stone branch already
Should you reset your phone after installing the anniversary update, or is just upgrading aldo stable enough?
first ring builds are quite stable and can be relied on.

always do a factory reset after system update.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Windows didn't do any update without warning. Please read the TAC of the Insider Program. That said, we are so close to Aug 2nd, there wont be many noticeable changes.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows didn't do any update without warning. Please read the TAC of the Insider Program. That said, we are so close to Aug 2nd, there wont be many noticeable changes.

yup pretty much just a few bug fixes here and there ahead of official release now, should be another update coming this week bumping it up to .5

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Oh boy here we go again. Yes, MSFT has an insider program where they say only join this ring for the latest and greatest software, with RISK. They screwed up branch management of the code and threw out Redstone and hosed pretty much any consumer of the 950 who was looking for a phone that actually worked. When it was released it was unusable, and the only prayer you had was to jump into the insider program to try and get a stable phone.

Glad Windows 10 is finally usable in our slow insider ring, HERE have a crappy build of Windows 11 automatically

The market agrees with me as well as windows phone is almost a dead brand.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I jumped back into the Slow ring on Sunday and grabbed the Anniversary Update. Upon completion, I switched back to Release and uninstalled Windows Insider.
The Fast Ring is a light version or two above the Slow Ring usually, so stay off that unless you're actually using it to provide feedback.
The Slow ring currently has the anniversary update.

I never do any kind of reset after upgrades, no issues. (I had to reboot it, but not reset, once I changed rings)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I jumped back into the Slow ring on Sunday and grabbed the Anniversary Update. Upon completion, I switched back to Release and uninstalled Windows Insider.
The Fast Ring is a light version or two above the Slow Ring usually, so stay off that unless you're actually using it to provide feedback.
The Slow ring currently has the anniversary update.

I never do any kind of reset after upgrades, no issues. (I had to reboot it, but not reset, once I changed rings)

Does anyone know if they're going to push it to the Release Preview ring?

I'm debating on the same thing, jumping into Slow for a one-shot, and then back to Release, same deal, but I'd rather get it via RP ring, if possible.

WinBeta seems to think everything will "balance out" on 8/2, if you have the current slow ring, but I'm not big on leveraging random, un-sourced info.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I think that's what the big deal is, the anniversary update; all eligible devices currently receiving W10 updates will get it - not necessarily on the 2nd, they're rolling it out in sections starting on the 2nd. You'll get it (eventually) if you're already getting updates; but if you want it asap, Slow Ring is your best bet.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Now you're making me rethink my "entrenched" position, I keep thinking they'll push it to the Release Preview ring, kind of like I was holding out for the firmware update.
I broke down and did WDRT, Saturday for the firmware, got tired of waiting, so I may do the same for RS, slow-ring.
I'd hate to wait until 8/9 or something, for my turn "in the queue", although we're down to only 1%, right? ;-]

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure firmware is pushed out like a normal update, is it? (You have to go via WDRT, is my understanding).

1% for mobile, there's a whole lot more than that on desktop; desktop versions of Windows 10 get anniversary, too!
Not a chance I was gonna wait. I'd be pretty disappointed if come September I was still waiting!

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
It depends how big the update is! If people remember, the 8.1 to 10 was downloaded to your computer long time before the update "rolled out". But the opportunity to install new windows was opened what actual day i can't remember. 27? So i think, most devices receive the update as people expect. I'm not sure how much common is PC and mobile version update systems.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I think firmware is pushed more less the same, but the AT&T devices are a different SKU (just like poor MadCabbie), so they don't pick up the update, since it's a mismatch. I guess in that regard, it's slightly different, but not much different than say on a desktop, you get driver xyz for your NIC and I get pqy.

Yeah, good point, but I don't want to go to slow ring on my desktop, it's a big pain to switch back to Release Preview, or at least the last time I was looking at this. Phone is nice like that, you can move in/out of Insider Rings, with relative ease.
My desktop has a LOT of stuff set up though, including my development environment, Office, photo editing stuff, tons of random tools, etc. I'm not about to mess around with it, if I can just wait a week or two. I bet there will be a way to download the image, faster, once a day or two has passed (they almost always publish these separately, for IT and other use).

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
To those of you "fencing it" over going to slow to get RS, I wouldn't hesitate.
I took the plunge, had maybe 20 minutes of "adjustments" to do afterwards (things like fixing background processes and a small number of others).

The WIN is HUGE though, the phone feels like the flagship it's supposed to be. The UI changes, I'd call most of them subtle (with a few exceptions), but the performance/smoothness of the OS is uncannily noticeable.
So, you fence-sitters, take the plunge, and avoid the (maybe) wait for servers, on 8/2 ;-0

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you just updated, or also had to do a factory reset afterwards?

Just the update. I'm not a huge fan of resets, you can see my other posts/opinions about this.

This *might* warrant it, I haven't decided, mostly I'm wondering if my RS backup will actually restore, or if I have to go fix all my settings again (just did this for the firmware update, via WDRT, on Saturday). The reason I say "might", is that I have a couple of "duplicate" or "artifact" apps, depending on how you look at it, and I'm sure a reset will fix this ("delete" is greyed out for them).

Otherwise, everything is running great, except for a DTTW oddity, but that was occuring before updating too; I'm about to create a thread on it.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
OK, updated yeserday, no trouble whatsoever. I did expected a little more... difference though. It seems all the big things are only on pc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon