Battery Life after 7/26/16 FW and Anniversary update: Improved for you?

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I updated my firmware OTA yesterday (July 26, 2016) and I'm also running the Anniversary update. My battery life today has been great! I haven't put the phone on a charger at all, and I'm still at 56% after 11 hours. I'm usually at 30% at this point. Has anyone else noticed an improvement? What is your typical battery life? I'm still trying to figure out if I have an app that's causing excessive drain, or if it's perhaps poor cell signal, or if it's the phone and/or OS.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
im getting better battery life also, especially playing music via BT from an SD card with a heap of music. for 40-60 mins of playing, it would munch 10% of battery. now, maybe 5% used by the time i get to work.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd say I'm about the same with the new FW, all the way since around .318, when it improved dramatically. for me.
I maybe saw a slight bump with the FW update, but to be honest, I'm not sure I could measure the difference between .318 and the old FW, and RS1, and the new FW.
My battery life is great though now, to be clear, compared to builds like .107, 218, etc. I'd say it's improved at least 50% since those, maybe a bit more.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree -- much better battery life. And the phone charges very quickly.

I think the charging indication is still buggy, to say the least.
For example, I was maybe around 65% this AM, and put it down, and checked back maybe 30 minutes later, and I was at 72%.
Then, about 10 minutes later, I was all the way at 100%. Clearly either I had an amazing boost (charging via a 1.5A Qi charging plate, so maybe getting 1.2A, if I had to guess), or something was wrong with one of the measurements, I sort of doubt it charged that last 28% in 10 minutes, call me "skeptical" ;-]

-pete

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It looks like it improved, yes. Updated to anniversary day before yesterday. Normally, after day of use, battery is below 20%. Now it was in the 30-40 something.

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the latest firmware version but not anniversary yet and I think my battery life has actually gotten worse. I used to listen to music on my way to work and only lose 1% battery now I lose about 5% and my commute and usage has stayed the same. Any suggestions?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking of re-posting as well, and after two days, now, I feel like I have enough evidence.
Since moving to the 14393.5 (from 14393.0, and previously Threshold 494), I've noticed a significantly increased battery drain as well.
Same apps, before and after, same settings almost nothing set for background processing, except phone, text, alarms, lock screen, and maybe one other app. I don't even have mail set to sync, I manually kick this when I want to.
Yet I'm draining 2-3 times as fast now, I literally lost 17% today, in 4 hours, of 5 texts and one short call, of maybe a couple of minutes. Before, this would've been more like maybe 5%, if that...

Oh yeah, and it shows 63% of my drain having come from those 5 texts, all SMS, not even any pics or such, seems a bit crazy. Not that I really think the battery->app measurement is really that accurate, but it seems pretty far off in left-field, currently...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I found something strange yesterday.

Both Cortana and Windows Default Lock Screen were set to NOT run in the background, on the "Background apps" settings screen.
However, if I went to battery usage, and set it for the last 6 hours, when I never used it, first thing today, those two accounted for about 75% of the processing, under the battery usage, *if* I set it to the 6 hour interval.
Huh? Didn't make much sense, until I clicked on them, from THAT interface (some new items, such as System Managed, not just on/off), and noticed both were set to "System Managed".
So, apparently there's now a 2nd interface that manages background processing, not just the background settings, screen. If you see a high-drain app, go to the actual drain screen and look at your top offenders, I bet they're set to "System Managed".
I don't have any data to back this up yet, in fact I'm just recharging my phone this AM, so we'll see over the next couple of days, if this fixes it.
Hawwie_4, if you and others are seeing the same, try the above. I can post some screenshots if it'd help?
Edit: Settings (just the larger umbrella) was using almost all the rest of it, in the "foreground" even though the machine was asleep. I double-checked, and same deal, it was set to "no background" in the regular Background screen, but from the Battery Usage screen you can see it's set to "System Managed".

What a mess, I couldn't figure out how to set the tri-state battery settings, unless an app was already in the "draining" list. It sure looks like an oversight, that it should show this "System Managed" setting in the regular Background Apps Settings screen.

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Screenshots would be helpful, thanks. I think my drain has something to do with my outlook mail because none of my accounts are syncing correctly on their own, I have to manually sync every account to get new mail when it should do that automatically

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Sure, first one is the standard "background apps" screen.
The second one, showing the "managed by system" options, is from the "battery use" settings route.

The third, shows the trinary selection mode, also from the battery use settings mode route.

wp_ss_20160801_0001[1].jpgwp_ss_20160801_0002[1].jpgwp_ss_20160801_0003[1].jpg

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
What build are you using? My screens don't look like that..

14393.5. Current Redstone Pre-Release. Yeah, a few things have changed, and perf has sure smoothed out.
Battery has taken a turn though, somehow my messaging just used 24%, even though I never used the app during that timeframe, hmm...

I bet it'll be 14393.10 tomorrow, just sayin', my Win10 Desktop RS1 Release Preview already picked up update #1 ;-0
I hope if it comes tomorrow, it'll help fix this, and my BT issue (other thread).

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, since I've not illimited wifi access to do upgrade, I'm stuck at the pre release 10586.456 version and my battery is just burning as hell. No SD card, no SIM, all background app set to off and something like less than 10 app installed (messenger, facebook, whatsapp, windows central, mytube) and the phone lose easily 20% per hour xD
So for now, I just shut it down and wait for the anniversary update. You guys give me good hope. I just need to wait they put the anniversary update on the device recovery tool since I didn't figure how to update my phone with a metered connection.

(Yeah, I did 2 reset wit same results, and battery was "ok" before)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 background apps (phone, messaging, alarms&clock, calendar), where I had a few more on 8.1 (definitely mail too, maybe a couple of others.

I'm not so sure about the battery drain on the RS update, 494 (last Threshold) was quite a bit better for me. I seem to be draining about 2-3% an hour, last night via messenger (texts), but I never actually got or sent a single text in the 6 hour window that it logged.
On 494, I got maybe 2-4% for the same period, and messenger was basically zero, if I wasn't getting/sending messages. It's definitely NOT an efficient app, it drains like crazy if I send a handful of SMS texts, but that was when I was USING it, not when it was idle, this new "drain when not in use" isn't so great, it's definitely having a negative effect on things...

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Meanwhile with the L1520 on windows 8... 0.3 to 0.8%/h discharge rate when iddle. But WM10 have some feature that prevent me to go back -_-

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, even if I could go back to 8.x (obviously not with the 950XL), I wouldn't.
I might consider reverting to 494, last Threshold though, I had a lot less problems on that build.

I REALLY like the smoothness and a couple of the features on the Anniversary update, but so far I'm not impressed with the (relative) in-stability and battery life...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas