Text Message Notifications No Longer Sync To PC

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Recently i noticed i no longer get TXT notifications from my 950 XL to my SB or SP4 or any desktop for that matter logged in with the same MS account. Oddly though i do get another notifications from the phone like Cortana, Windows Update, Twitter, etc. Does anyone know how to fix this issue or what is causing it?

I checked under settings inside the messaging app, settings on the computer, everything seems to be turned on.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The answer to your question: What's happening with Microsoft's Skype messaging everywhere feature | ZDNet specifically:

Microsoft also quietly disabled the ability to message between Windows 10 PCs and Windows Phones and Android phones without relying on Skype last week. Previously, if Cortana was installed on both devices, that type of communication worked without requiring the SMS Relay feature in Skype Preview.

However they do also say:

"We have temporarily disabled the capability in Cortana on Windows Phone 10 and the Cortana Android companion app that enables you to receive text messages to your PC while we evaluate an experience issue which we are working to resolve. We will bring this capability back into the experience as soon as possible," a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed.

So who knows, it may come back but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. Very disappointing. It was a great feature. I don't want to use Skype for messaging on my phone. That appears to be the only way you can do this now.

Last edited:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The answer to your question: What's happening with Microsoft's Skype messaging everywhere feature | ZDNet specifically:

Microsoft also quietly disabled the ability to message between Windows 10 PCs and Windows Phones and Android phones without relying on Skype last week. Previously, if Cortana was installed on both devices, that type of communication worked without requiring the SMS Relay feature in Skype Preview.

However they do also say:

"We have temporarily disabled the capability in Cortana on Windows Phone 10 and the Cortana Android companion app that enables you to receive text messages to your PC while we evaluate an experience issue which we are working to resolve. We will bring this capability back into the experience as soon as possible," a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed.

So who knows, it may come back but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for posting this. Very disappointing. It was a great feature. I don't want to use Skype for messaging on my phone. That appears to be the only way you can do this now.

Thanks for the information guys, this is awful. I tried to use Skype preview for texting and it is truly an awful experience and needs so much functionality to just even get close to the level of Messaging. One simple issue no messaging count notifications on the lock screen or live tile is unacceptable.

I also tried to send a text message via Cortana on the PC to my phone and that still DOES work, i can confirm. But the notifications are not there as Mary Jo pointed out.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I honestly feel Microsoft is making a huge mistake here. They are trying to force everyone onto Skype for plain texting and it's just not a good tool for that. It's bloated when all we need is simple SMS functionality. They took a GREAT feature of being able to reply to a popup on our PC's when a text came into our phones and scrapped it by trying to force us into a bloated client. I have tried Skype and its a horrible client for texting. I hope someone comes to their senses and re-enables this feature.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I thought this too but its actually really good, works perfect, i hear your point though, why force us to use skype to get the notifications, but like i say its actually really good and all conversations are there, you simply pick your contact and sms them, tbh its actually a clever way of doing it, but would have been nice to know they disabled normal SMS notifications.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I thought the same thing but, I started using Skype yesterday and so far, I'm really liking it. New updates came yesterday that you can now delete conversations (something that wasn't there earlier) and I am using my Surface now to do most of my texting (unless I'm out and about of course). The old way of a text message showing up in the action center on my Surface and then letting you respond is child's play compared to using Skype right now. Moving back and forth between conversations is really easy. Right now, I think MS is on the right course with Skype and sms messaging.

Sent from mTalk

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My biggest problem is the time it takes to launch the app itself. When I open messaging its instant. With Skype, it takes awhile to load.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The Skype SMS messaging is a mess, it messes up the Skype contacts, messes up the normal contacts and is a nightmare for someone like me who likes things tidy so I ditched it and went back to using Cortana, don't get me wrong I like and use the Skype preview, but not for SMS until they sort out the contacts issues.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There is another issue. My outlook.com account has been upgraded last Saturday. I haven't received any notifications, but when I've seen all profile pics are gone, I've checked my account online and yeah, I've been upgraded.

Since then, SMS sync seems to have stopped. I mean, at least, it worked via Skype. But since the very moment I've logged in for the first time in my "new" account, SMS don't seem to be synced. Not on my other phones, not in Skype on PC, Insider or not.

This kind of issue appeared last year, at the same time, when Microsoft were playing with the Messaging+Skype integration. Some people have lost texts (as we don't know is it a problem of saving or restoring/syncing).

I hope it's only a migration problem. So if you add the wave of outlook.com upgrade (a lot have reported a migration last week-end) to the Skype hit-and-miss nature, it's not a surprise if they disable *another* channel of SMS sync :/

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad this thread was here. I had no idea why this disappeared.
OK, I switched to Skype Preview on my phone and made it default, and I switched on SMS sync in the Skype Preview app on the PC. However, I'm still not getting any message relays on my PC when I get a text on my phone. Even if the skype app on PC is running, no new messages come through until I close and then reopen the PC Skype app, then the last message sent appears.

Yes I see that it is called Skype Preview so I guess it will have bugs, but I'm wondering about those on the thread that say the SMS handoff is working from phone to PC. Did you have to do anything else to get it to work?

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I bit the bullet and made Skype the default. It's so far working perfectly. All PC's under my account are syncing all messages to the Skype Preview client on the PC's. I am now also getting the popups on my PC but when I enter a reply there, it does not send even though it appears to.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
this is really odd, skype has stopped working for me today? cant send any texts via skype, they all fail to send via the laptop, yet if I send myself a text via skype on the phone I get the message, all settings correct, it was working yesterday but not today lol, I give up, frigging lashup this is lol, actually at the point of laughing now and not crying hahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)