Lumia 950XL warranty issues

Sergej Using

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I am having issues with my 950XL. Quick note, I am perfectly content with the phone as it is and have no issues with the “app gap”. Pretty much anything I want I have. If my Bank where to shut down the app I may reconsider.

On to my issues:

Over the last 6-8 a weeks the phone’s performance has been rapidly deteriorating.

It can work fine for a half day or so and then crash, shut down or go into a restart loop. When its bad its can happen 5-6 times in an hour. Usually happens when the phone hasn’t been used for a bit and I “wake it up”.

Not always, but half the time after the phone crashes / shuts down it gets very hot. Battery can go from 80%+ to empty in 20 min after 1-2 crashes.

The phone is in its 2 year warranty. I contacted the retailer (Clove) who passed me onto a Microsoft authorized repair center B2X. Shipped the phone, they had for a 3 days, supposedly carried out a repair (replaced “4QM sidekey electronic assembly master”??)

Phone still behaves the same way as before.

When I got the phone back I also did not do a restore, but did a “fresh” install. Within the few hours of re-installing everything and setting the phone up it crashed over 10 times.

Frustrating as hell. Do I have any other option? Phone is only 1.5 years old and still got 6 months left on its warranty.

Thanks,

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes mine did the same replaced the battery 🔋 now ok
Originally posted by Sergej Using
Hi,

I am having issues with my 950XL. Quick note, I am perfectly content with the phone as it is and have no issues with the “app gap”. Pretty much anything I want I have. If my Bank where to shut down the app I may reconsider.

On to my issues:

Over the last 6-8 a weeks the phone’s performance has been rapidly deteriorating.

It can work fine for a half day or so and then crash, shut down or go into a restart loop. When its bad its can happen 5-6 times in an hour. Usually happens when the phone hasn’t been used for a bit and I “wake it up”.

Not always, but half the time after the phone crashes / shuts down it gets very hot. Battery can go from 80%+ to empty in 20 min after 1-2 crashes.

The phone is in its 2 year warranty. I contacted the retailer (Clove) who passed me onto a Microsoft authorized repair center B2X. Shipped the phone, they had for a 3 days, supposedly carried out a repair (replaced “4QM sidekey electronic assembly master”??)

When I got the phone back I also did not do a restore, but did a “fresh” install. Within the few hours of re-installing everything and setting the phone up it crashed over 10 times.

Frustrating as hell. Do I have any other option? Phone is only 1.5 years old and still got 6 months left on its warranty.

Thanks,

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Where did you get your battery from?
Originally posted by steven girdham
Yes mine did the same replaced the battery 🔋 now ok
Originally posted by Sergej Using
Hi,

On to my issues:

Thanks,

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My replacement screen has an issue with touch stop working, seems to be ok at a period of time or trying to drain and recharge the battery.

Need to try a new battery and see

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Because I'm particular about this as MS has really dropped the ball with regards to providing OEM batteries...how do you know the one on rounded.com and the ones listed on walmart.com are OEM? I can't find any info listed on any of the pages that suggest these are OEM batteries. I'm inclined to believe the ones on walmart.com are not but only because walmart.com is pretty much amazon.com at this point and is just a marketplace for third-party vendors to sell lots of "knockoff" products. Plus the URL for one of them says "Miscrosoft". Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but it does to me and I would need to be positive before buying. And the one on rounded.com just shows 2 pictures of something black and squarish and doesn't offer much in the way of a description.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Because I'm particular about this as MS has really dropped the ball with regards to providing OEM batteries...how do you know the one on rounded.com and the ones listed on walmart.com are OEM? I can't find any info listed on any of the pages that suggest these are OEM batteries. I'm inclined to believe the ones on walmart.com are not but only because walmart.com is pretty much amazon.com at this point and is just a marketplace for third-party vendors to sell lots of "knockoff" products. Plus the URL for one of them says "Miscrosoft". Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but it does to me and I would need to be positive before buying. And the one on rounded.com just shows 2 pictures of something black and squarish and doesn't offer much in the way of a description.

I understand being particular about something like this. I myself have not ordered a replacement battery for the 950 XL. But if you look throughout this forum you'll find people having success with the batteries from Rounded. They say that they look OEM.

AntnyGoomba

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same exact problem. I replaced my battery and now my phone is running better than new. I went on Amazon for my battery, it was only like $18. When I got the battery it looked exactly like the OEM battery with the Microsoft markings covered.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The battery was roughly 20 dollars. Arrived today and looks exactly like the original just different date. So it is an original Microsoft battery. Am guessing it is an over stock supply they got a hold of. Will see how well it performs. The last battery would lose 15 percent in less than an hour or so. Was having random reboots too, so for 20 dollars not a bad option to test out a fix...

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL took a nose dive recently. I got the 2year plan and they refunded the MSRP back, but not the plan. Not sure which phone I plan to get now.

It would no longer properly detect the SD card, Bluetooth connectivity getting worse, camera focus getting worse, battery beginning to bulge. Combine that was more frequent random crashes and hangs. Edge not working well. Resuming bug never been fixed. Cortana reliability is atrocious. She doesn't respond and then perks up when not even invoked. Cannot start random apps or other skills without crashing.

I've done full factory reset and refreshes with no luck. Did not restore from backup...yadda yadda yadda. Windows Mobile has been the worst experience among the big 3 mobile OS. It just keeps crashing and unstable software and hardware.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL took a nose dive recently. I got the 2year plan and they refunded the MSRP back, but not the plan. Not sure which phone I plan to get now.

It would no longer properly detect the SD card, Bluetooth connectivity getting worse, camera focus getting worse, battery beginning to bulge. Combine that was more frequent random crashes and hangs. Edge not working well. Resuming bug never been fixed. Cortana reliability is atrocious. She doesn't respond and then perks up when not even invoked. Cannot start random apps or other skills without crashing.

I've done full factory reset and refreshes with no luck. Did not restore from backup...yadda yadda yadda. Windows Mobile has been the worst experience among the big 3 mobile OS. It just keeps crashing and unstable software and hardware.
650.00 us will get you a decent replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes