11-22-2015 09:34 AM
57 123
tools
    I don't see why everyone is so afraid of contracts. Your carrier alternatives in the US are limited (especially if you want to use a gsm phone) and AT&T is going to give you the best speed and coverage of any GSM option in the US. The advantage of having the option to opt out and switch is overstated. Especially since the cost actually works out to be lower if you opt for the 2 year contract over Next.

As someone already mentioned it doesn't really hinder your ability to resell it either because again, how many other options do potential buyers have besides AT&T? The closest you'd come service wise is TMobile and even their service is not on par. There's also no guarantee that an unlocked GSM phone will give you the same performance on TMobile's network as one designed for their network and I have personal experience with this (I've posted about it enough so I won't go into it again). You'll have no problem ebaying an AT&T locked phone. I was on AT&T before switching to Verizon and sold the 920 on ebay with no problem. I also had no problem selling my Verizon locked HTC One when switching back to AT&T.

Choice is good but AT&T overall isn't a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives. So I paid the $150 up front and used the remaining money I would've spent on an unlocked phone to buy my newphew an Xbox One :) . I'm an awesome Uncle!
    11-21-2015 12:07 PM
    Choice is good but AT&T overall isn't a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives.
    Sounds a little like my new SO beats me up a LOT less than other's I've had. "Overall not a bad carrier" is not a ringing endorsement. Not to mention that its an even better carrier if you bring your own phone.

I'm not trying to convince YOU to choose an option that eliminates the downsides of a carrier phone, just mentioning it for others who haven't decided. You have a good list of "not so bad's" and "maybe won't happen" but you left out others like "AT&T probably won't delay or prevent important updates", etc..
    11-21-2015 12:45 PM
    Sounds a little like my new SO beats me up a LOT less than other's I've had. "Overall not a bad carrier" is not a ringing endorsement. Not to mention that its an even better carrier if you bring your own phone.

I'm not trying to convince YOU to choose an option that eliminates the downsides of a carrier phone, just mentioning it for others who haven't decided. You have a good list of "not so bad's" and "maybe won't happen" but you left out others like "AT&T probably won't delay or prevent important updates", etc..
    You're parsing words. "Overall not a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives" might not be a ringing endorsement but the entire sentence, taken in context, is fine. It's a relatively good carrier. When you take quality and speed into account relative to any other GSM option in the US I'd take AT&T any day. As for delayed updates, just enroll in the Insider program. If you enroll in the Insider program there's virtually no advantage to bringing your own phone.

I'm not trying to give "ringing endorsements" or sing anyone's praises. I'm merely pointing out how exaggerated the so-called cons of carrier phones really are.
    11-21-2015 05:00 PM

Well... Unlocked or not... I have not had an issue with att... No matter what phone I have had with them. I get the best GSM service in the us with att... I have got my updates... I mean is it just the 830 that people are crying about with aloe updates? I had had android, iPhones, ans windows phones... Focus, LG with keyboard, 900, 920, 1520, 635, 640...

With so many hardware variations ans old most being unpopular, updates under this and other carriers were a little hindered.

Thankfully, we are all in a better place with Microsoft and software updates.

The phones purchase location, variation of hardware, or manner of payment... All just about the same in the end...

Att version has pma which may prove to be a good thing if it ever takes off... But at least it has the qi for all my other chargers I have now... Now I have to decode if I want to get this phone or not.
    anon(5383410) likes this.
    11-21-2015 05:04 PM
    The biggest issue with the contract on ATT is that they charge an $25 per month for the access charge (for me - I know some others said $15, but my upcharge will be $25).

$25/mo over 24 months plus $150 up front is more than the phone costs. I'd lock in for 2 years if they gave me the phone w/o the upcharge.
    11-22-2015 06:57 AM
    The US system is like that old joke. Patient:"Doctor, it hurts when I do this, can you help"? Doctor: "Of course. Just stop doing that"!

There are reasons most of the world doesn't have these problems. Although in their case they didn't stop buying from carriers, they never started!
    11-22-2015 09:16 AM
    I have the mobile share plan with 5 lines. One of the lines is still under contract and I still get the $25 discount on that line. But I'm also on Premier so I don't know what to believe now.
    11-22-2015 09:34 AM
57 123