950 and the 2-year contract

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I can replace the 950 five minutes after I get it too. Just pay it off and get another phone, or just buy an unlocked phone and swap sims.
(1) pay it off
(2) get it unlocked or severely limit your potential buyers
(3) even unlocked worth less
(4) time and effort is money.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
(1) pay it off
(2) get it unlocked or severely limit your potential buyers
(3) even unlocked worth less
(4) time and effort is money.

Even so, I can still do it. Besides, unlocking it would only open the possibility of using it on T mobile (excluding mvno's), which isn't nearly as big as AT&T. So I don't think you would lose that many potential buyers.

Who says it's worth less? AT&T users would still pay what it's worth. Also, you said you can switch phones, but you have to sell the old device after/before you get the new one. Selling it takes time and effort too.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Even so, I can still do it. Besides, unlocking it would only open the possibility of using it on T mobile (excluding mvno's), which isn't nearly as big as AT&T. So I don't think you would lose that many potential buyers.

Who says it's worth less? AT&T users would still pay what it's worth. Also, you said you can switch phones, but you have to sell the old device after/before you get the new one. Selling it takes time and effort too.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Exactly... I have never had an issue selling a phone... Locked, unlocked, or one that was once locked with an att logo that is not unlocked... When people want to buy it, they will...

Who care how much you or I pairs in the end? Most people dont... You go to the forums and people have ******* contest over nothing...

Do you want the phone or not? Ok, buy it however you like... Enjoy... I have worked some excellent deals, yet I find a person that was clearly ripped off but so much happier with the product that I am... That's what ia is all about in the end... Enjoying it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
do ATT MVNO's (I don't even know who they are, but I may look into some, as I think my cell bill is way too expensive) offer the exact same coverage and LTE speeds as ATT, since they are on the same network?

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
do ATT MVNO's (I don't even know who they are, but I may look into some, as I think my cell bill is way too expensive) offer the exact same coverage and LTE speeds as ATT, since they are on the same network?

Straight Talk is one that uses AT&T towers. You still get the same coverage, but I can't comment on speeds. I think HoosierDaddy uses Cricket, which also uses AT&T towers.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Straight Talk is one that uses AT&T towers. You still get the same coverage, but I can't comment on speeds. I think HoosierDaddy uses Cricket, which also uses AT&T towers.
I use T-Mobile.

MVNOs can and do change the experience. Some do cap the speeds but still within the definition of LTE. Some omit services like Virtual Voice Mail. You really have to look at the fine print for any you are interested in. I think Rumored Now knows a lot of them.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Probs just stick with the behemoth

Yeah... I just stay with att... Been with them for years... I usually have coverage where I go... Except one state in the Midwest, lol. I can share data, visual voicemail, etc... all the things that should not be a perk...

I get 22% off, premier, and have a 20GB plan.... I would consider other services if I did not have this discount. Att has always taken care of me in many ways... From free items, free upgrades, even paid my bill once, lol.

I put my mom on it so she does not have to pay a cell bill, but can do what she wants... Including making purchases... I am considering putting a couple others on it they just pay me $50... But get share the pot... I never go over 2-3GB a month... So I now upload to YouTube over lte... Upload speeds are better than my att uverse... I get like 18mbps on the phone up and down

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
@RumoredNow uses Cricket. I believe he said something about slight differences.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why everyone is so afraid of contracts. Your carrier alternatives in the US are limited (especially if you want to use a gsm phone) and AT&T is going to give you the best speed and coverage of any GSM option in the US. The advantage of having the option to opt out and switch is overstated. Especially since the cost actually works out to be lower if you opt for the 2 year contract over Next.

As someone already mentioned it doesn't really hinder your ability to resell it either because again, how many other options do potential buyers have besides AT&T? The closest you'd come service wise is TMobile and even their service is not on par. There's also no guarantee that an unlocked GSM phone will give you the same performance on TMobile's network as one designed for their network and I have personal experience with this (I've posted about it enough so I won't go into it again). You'll have no problem ebaying an AT&T locked phone. I was on AT&T before switching to Verizon and sold the 920 on ebay with no problem. I also had no problem selling my Verizon locked HTC One when switching back to AT&T.

Choice is good but AT&T overall isn't a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives. So I paid the $150 up front and used the remaining money I would've spent on an unlocked phone to buy my newphew an Xbox One :) . I'm an awesome Uncle!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Choice is good but AT&T overall isn't a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives.
Sounds a little like my new SO beats me up a LOT less than other's I've had. "Overall not a bad carrier" is not a ringing endorsement. Not to mention that its an even better carrier if you bring your own phone.

I'm not trying to convince YOU to choose an option that eliminates the downsides of a carrier phone, just mentioning it for others who haven't decided. You have a good list of "not so bad's" and "maybe won't happen" but you left out others like "AT&T probably won't delay or prevent important updates", etc..

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a little like my new SO beats me up a LOT less than other's I've had. "Overall not a bad carrier" is not a ringing endorsement. Not to mention that its an even better carrier if you bring your own phone.

I'm not trying to convince YOU to choose an option that eliminates the downsides of a carrier phone, just mentioning it for others who haven't decided. You have a good list of "not so bad's" and "maybe won't happen" but you left out others like "AT&T probably won't delay or prevent important updates", etc..
You're parsing words. "Overall not a bad carrier when compared to the alternatives" might not be a ringing endorsement but the entire sentence, taken in context, is fine. It's a relatively good carrier. When you take quality and speed into account relative to any other GSM option in the US I'd take AT&T any day. As for delayed updates, just enroll in the Insider program. If you enroll in the Insider program there's virtually no advantage to bringing your own phone.

I'm not trying to give "ringing endorsements" or sing anyone's praises. I'm merely pointing out how exaggerated the so-called cons of carrier phones really are.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Well... Unlocked or not... I have not had an issue with att... No matter what phone I have had with them. I get the best GSM service in the us with att... I have got my updates... I mean is it just the 830 that people are crying about with aloe updates? I had had android, iPhones, ans windows phones... Focus, LG with keyboard, 900, 920, 1520, 635, 640...

With so many hardware variations ans old most being unpopular, updates under this and other carriers were a little hindered.

Thankfully, we are all in a better place with Microsoft and software updates.

The phones purchase location, variation of hardware, or manner of payment... All just about the same in the end...

Att version has pma which may prove to be a good thing if it ever takes off... But at least it has the qi for all my other chargers I have now... Now I have to decode if I want to get this phone or not.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The biggest issue with the contract on ATT is that they charge an $25 per month for the access charge (for me - I know some others said $15, but my upcharge will be $25).

$25/mo over 24 months plus $150 up front is more than the phone costs. I'd lock in for 2 years if they gave me the phone w/o the upcharge.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The US system is like that old joke. Patient:"Doctor, it hurts when I do this, can you help"? Doctor: "Of course. Just stop doing that"!

There are reasons most of the world doesn't have these problems. Although in their case they didn't stop buying from carriers, they never started!

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the mobile share plan with 5 lines. One of the lines is still under contract and I still get the $25 discount on that line. But I'm also on Premier so I don't know what to believe now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12