[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Having handled the XL in a store, I didn't notice a lot of difference. The buttons on the 920 are also part of the cover, main difference is that on the 920 the cover isn't (easily) removable.

yes you are correct, but 'non removable' shell of lumia 920 gave it more rigidity, hence button can be tighhter and better feeing. But we must not forget mozo back cover, there is slight chance they can make things better.

rxc13

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
yes you are correct, but 'non removable' shell of lumia 920 gave it more rigidity, hence button can be tighhter and better feeing. But we must not forget mozo back cover, there is slight chance they can make things better.

Having used a 920 and a 1520, I can tell you that the buttons on the 920 felt a lot better than the ones on the 1520. The ones on the 1520 are almost flush with the body, which I hate, and they wobble a lot. I definitely thought that they felt really cheap. When I put a case on the 1520, those complains disappeared. Both phones accumulated dust in really unfortunate places. The 920 had it on the FFC and the 1520 on the earpiece.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I think you should play with one yourself before coming to that conclusion, I don't know where these 'flimsy, cheap, plastic' comments are coming from. This phone feels like a million bucks IMO.

I did state that I will play with one once I get chance, probs early December. "cheap plastic" I heaven't used this description because I know Nokia used very good plastic, which makes me think Microsoft would use good plastic too. But using good materials doesn't always translate to good product, as an engineer I came across a lot products like that. You say 950 feels like million bucks, is that because you played with one or do you have one. Eeewing states that his 950 doesn't feel like premium device, ive read a lot of comment on other forum thread where people tried them in shop and had the same experience, but also a lot of positive comments like yours which leads me to believe either people have really high standard for these phone having played around with likes of Nexus 6P or Note 5 or even Iphone (i don't like apple but I do admit most of their products are manufactured well), or the second hypothesis is the quality control of whomever is manufacturing them is very poor.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I can't omit the feeling that user eeewing is a fine tuned throll. His conclusion: cheap, wobbly and dirt cheap. And don't forget that he is all ready seeing dust accumulations......after just receiving it.
Really lame. And it does have a oleophobic coating.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
... either people have really high standard for these phone having played around with likes of Nexus 6P or Note 5 or even Iphone (i don't like apple but I do admit most of their products are manufactured well), or the second hypothesis is the quality control of whomever is manufacturing them is very poor.

My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.

Completely agree with idea of comparing this device to flagships from other platforms, after all as a customer when I pay ?470 for lumia 950xl and I can get nexus 6p for ?450 (only 32gb I know before someone points this out) I would expect the fit and finish to be on par, I don't care if Microsoft uses plastic, frankly I think it makes more sense when is comes to durability of the phone. But Fit and Finish should be on par.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
You say 950 feels like million bucks, is that because you played with one or do you have one. Eeewing states that his 950 doesn't feel like premium device, ive read a lot of comment on other forum thread where people tried them in shop and had the same experience, but also a lot of positive comments like yours which leads me to believe either people have really high standard for these phone having played around with likes of Nexus 6P or Note 5 or even Iphone (i don't like apple but I do admit most of their products are manufactured well), or the second hypothesis is the quality control of whomever is manufacturing them is very poor.

I have one, I was the first post in this thread, scroll up. I've been playing with it all day. It's my first Windows Phone coming over from iOS. Been an iPhone user since 2007. Maybe some people have higher standards than me, but I have pretty high standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm honestly baffled why anyone would say this phone feels cheap.

*edit: First thing I noticed about this phone was how light it is. Don't know if that's a major factor for people.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

All of my settings and contacts synced perfectly (including my alarms).

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

View attachment 116707

Attachments

• A__666C.jpg
    A__666C.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 74

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have one, I was the first post in this thread, scroll up. I've been playing with it all day. It's my first Windows Phone coming over from iOS. Been an iPhone user since 2007. Maybe some people have higher standards than me, but I have pretty high standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm honestly baffled why anyone would say this phone feels cheap.

*edit: First thing I noticed about this phone was how light it is. Don't know if that's a major factor for people.

sorry didn't realise you were the first one to post here ':cool:'. I'm glad you enjoying your Lumia, and in the end doesn't matter if other think it's not on par with other flagships as long as you are happy. Im still holding my final judgement until I play with one. Lightness of the phone can cause some people to question the 'premium feel of the phone' but that is just BS. Light phone can be as premium as heavy one, plus lighter phone will impact with less energy if you drop it, another plus for durability.
Now of topics welcome to word of windows. Once you use the device for lets say 2 weeks I would love to see how you are finding windows 10 mobile, would be good if you wrote your experience on forum.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

How do you measure how something feels? It's subjective really, what feels cheap to one person, feels premium to another.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^ Exactly. Feel is subjective.

And people are writing their subjective opinion.

Trouble arises either when it is written as an absolute or read as a statement of universal application.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
How do you measure how something feels? It's subjective really, what feels cheap to one person, feels premium to another.

It's completely subjective, yes. Doesn't mean peoples subjective opinions don't still make me scratch my head ;)

Sorry I haven't posted pictures or movies yet, to those who have been asking. I am actually trying to work despite the fact that I keep fiddling with the new distraction... uh, I mean phone. I did take a picture of myself with the selfie cam and was very impressed... but the pictures are completely screwed up when I look at them on my PC via OneDrive. They're all corrupted. Haven't taken the time to look into that yet. Anyone else run into it?

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

View attachment 116707

wow the screen brightness is VERY noticeable, hopefully Microsoft can adres is it with firmware.

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

View attachment 116707

what about camera quality? any samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3