[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
just got my 950Xl DS.. a huge upgrade from my L535. so far so great. apps are running faster than expected. Camera is fast. one thing though is battery and heat. but I guess this is due to I am an insider. and the latest build is not yet that optimized.

br00ksh0t

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ordered one yesterday with an amzer pudding case. I will definitely be reporting back. The only thing I'm concerned about is battery life. I unplug every morning at 4:30 am and don't stop until around 10:30 pm. Coming from a droid turbo, I usually have around 40% left in the tank at the end of the day. Hoping I can squeak a full day out of the xl.

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Just get my self a Lumia 950 XL. Only one problem, the Glance Screen is not working. But i think is due to screen protector as I use to have the same problem before with my L1520. I will keep the screen protector for the time being and i need to remove it to soon just to confirm. Besides the Glance Screen. The phone looks perfect.

Paulmac0957

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Not yet, but on it's way. I picked up the 950 yesterday at AT&T, and just ordered the 950xl from Microsoft. I liked the 950, but just want the bigger screen. Once the 950 arrives in a couple of days, I will return the 950 (bought it outright) to the AT&T store. Question if anyone out there knows. Will I need to take the new 950xl to the store to have them activate it, or can I do that online or over the phone. I know when I was with Verizon I could just call them give them the IMEI of the new phone then move the SIMM over once they had the information in their system. I assume it will be the same for AT&T?

jowilf

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Am in uk and just ordered 950 XL with free doc
Got great deal as had a ?50 voucher code to use
Used student 10% off
Got express postage free
Cost me total of ?255
Hope I love the phone
Coming from iPhone 6s Plus and google pixel

Edgar Guzman2

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I just got a 950XL for my mom to replace her 640. I am in Mexico and got the phone brand new for $160 dlls this is the price this cell has been selling for the last days. I dont know if i will consider it for myself because of the lack of applications. Many of the application I use doesnt exist on windows store at least not yet but for her it is perfect. All the application she needs are there and the cell has a great camera and screen so for this price I dont think i could be able to get a better cell.

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
That is exactly the user experience that I wanted to hear. Will be getting my 950XL for Christmas. Cheers Adam

Lets hope they still have some inventory left in that timeframe. They are dumping inventory and aren't supporting the device. Too bad, as this is a good piece of kit. Updates can take a bit of time but they do end up resolving most issues (although that can be said of all manufacturers I guess).

Paulmac0957

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Have had mine for almost 2 weeks now, and I pleased with it. Seems to working well, missing some apps I had on my Note 5, but I expected that so not such a big deal. If there is one thing I would like to see added to windows phone it would be a visual notification of messages, email etc. One thing I always like with the Samsung phones was a flashing LED that let you know that a message, emails, etc. And you could set a different color to let you know if it was a text, email, alert, etc.

pazces84

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe the HP Elite x3 has some kind of LED indicator. I think it lights up while charging. Not sure if it could also be used for notifications.

Branko Dodig

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Very pleased, although there were a few niggling things.
- USB connection to Windows 10 machine didn't work out of the box. Got it to work after a few hours of kludging.
- I can't access my network files using the default file explorer app. I could do so much more with the phone if I could do this and also print on network printers from it.

However, other than this, my first and second impressions have been great, and I much prefer this over my android phone.

SShelby

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock). The XL replaced my son's 920 and the 950 replaced my 635. Obviously, the XL is larger than the 920, but still fits in son's pocket and he's happy. We did happen to get a defective phone. When he'd make a call, screen would go black. He couldn't hang up. Took it back to the store, they looked at it and promptly gave him a new phone (it was less than a week old and we had just activated it that morning). So far, he's happy with the XL and I'm happy with the 950. Haven't unboxed the dock yet. Not sure how we're going to use it. A great Black Friday deal.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock). The XL replaced my son's 920 and the 950 replaced my 635. Obviously, the XL is larger than the 920, but still fits in son's pocket and he's happy. We did happen to get a defective phone. When he'd make a call, screen would go black. He couldn't hang up. Took it back to the store, they looked at it and promptly gave him a new phone (it was less than a week old and we had just activated it that morning). So far, he's happy with the XL and I'm happy with the 950. Haven't unboxed the dock yet. Not sure how we're going to use it. A great Black Friday deal.

I agree. Very nice deal you got there.

Cheers

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock) ... A great Black Friday deal.

I got the BOGO also - the 950XL to replace my battery dying Lumia 1520 & the 950 to replace my wife's Lumia 920 (which she's still hanging on to).

I'm surprised at the size difference between the 950XL & the 1520, really liked my big phone. Only reason I switched, the non-removable battery is dying (only holds 50% charge). I know there are tutorials online re: Battery replacement, but, figured I'd probably break something taking it apart. I may still attempt it, IF I can get an OEM battery for the Lumia 1520.
After a couple of days, aside from the size, I like the phone, a suitable replacement (better, if it were a 6" screen). Pictures are fantastic, I caught my wife after her shower & the camera captured more than I could see. I'm running the same OS version as I was on the 1520, so, really NO difference.

I waited for:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3602272
to add some grip to this thin phone. Rarely go naked w a phone, it does the job.
They're making phones too thin these days, nothing to hold onto, possibility of bending.

In addition, I loved wireless charging (when I had the Lumia 920), so I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3602272
for half price, to wirelessly charge the phone. The color hi-lite changes from Blue (charging) to Green (charged).
The charger from the phone package will go with me to work (or wherever) to facilitate a quick top up. Battery life is less than the Lumia 1520 battery (when New) at least early on. I hope this levels off as the phone settles in.

I also got:
which holds the phone (in the TPU case), fits like a glove for those days when I can't / won't pocket it.
The plus is the phone is much more pocketable then the 1520. The holster case is good looking & functional w a strong, plastic, swivel belt clip & magnetic (& snap) closure.

Still feeling the phone out, only been a couple of days, on AT&T (w Visual Voice Mail, very simple to invoke, simply leave yourself a message).

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Not yet, but on it's way. I picked up the 950 yesterday at AT&T, and just ordered the 950xl from Microsoft. I liked the 950, but just want the bigger screen. Once the 950 arrives in a couple of days, I will return the 950 (bought it outright) to the AT&T store. Question if anyone out there knows. Will I need to take the new 950xl to the store to have them activate it, or can I do that online or over the phone. I know when I was with Verizon I could just call them give them the IMEI of the new phone then move the SIMM over once they had the information in their system. I assume it will be the same for AT&T?

Pull the sim from the 950, put it in the 950XL ...
That's it.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
We bought the BOGO (Buy One, Get One free) deal and activated the 950 on ATT with a month to month, no contract plan. We activated the 950XL on T-Mobile on the same type of plan. We are comparing the services, availability, and costs with our long time month to month Verizon plan and service. Just looking for a fair comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlimPulseWeightLoss