[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I finally got my hands on a Lumia 950 yesterday evening.

This is my third Lumia device (previously used 521 and 822) but my first experience with Windows 10 Mobile.

I have also tinkered with Android and iOS devices a lot, I have been using BB10 devices most of the past 3 years.

I consider myself a "BlackBerry refugee", because I refuse to follow the company into "Android land". Every time I try to use one, I am reminded in so many ways that I do NOT want an Android phone.

So here I am, trying out a Lumia 950...and LOVING IT.

This is probably the nicest overall phone I've ever owned. The camera is just amazing compared to anything else I've used in a smartphone. The screen is brilliant - I love AMOLED and prefer dark themes. I have never used wireless charging before (even though I previously owned a BlackBerry Z30 that supported it) and it's so convenient! I also like the Hello feature - makes unlocking the phone a breeze.

Windows 10 Mobile has come a long way in the past year. No, the apps aren't there yet, but coming from BB10 I'm used to that. Its library is better overall than BB10.

The OS is stable, smooth, and responsive. It does what I want it to when I want it to.

And the live tiles! Just a great UI, IMO. The ability to pin shortcuts from within apps is just brilliant. I have tiles to open up specific radio stations, Facebook groups, and the Windows Central forums (via the WC app) - the simple convenience of not having to open and tap through an app every time I want to do a certain thing is just wonderful.

I miss the BlackBerry physical keyboard and the BB10 Hub. And clunky as the experience may have been, I was able to run some Android apps on there (although it's only a matter of time before many apps cease to function, as there are no plans to update the Android runtime in BB10 beyond version 4.3).

But overall, I'm very pleased with my 950 - more pleased than I've been with a new (to me) smartphone than I've been in a long time.

I'm still configuring it and getting everything set up the way I want, but my SIM will definitely be staying in this phone for a while.

And I haven't even tried Continuum yet (sooooo excited to try using it with Remote Desktop to access my work machine)!!!

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I also bought one recently, the only complaint is the battery life but it can last me one full day.

I also have case from Tech21 which is expensive but the best case for Lumia 950 I can find. Its surface is glossy, which means it is not scratch-resistant. That is the bad side of this case. If only UAG Plasma is available for Lumia 950

Sprint51

May 8, 2012
Visit site
There is some bloat ware but with Windows phone it can be reviewed. I removed all since I like to only keep apps that I use. I have not noticed any disabled features and the phone has been a nice replacement for my Lumina 830.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up a Lumia 950xl at the weekend and have to admit I'm enjoying probably more than any of the others I've had before (Lumia 800, 920, 925, 1020, 1320, 1520 and 950 over the years). I've had most of the iPhones and Samsung Galaxys in between as I get bored easily and jump OS regularly. Always had a soft spot for Lumia ans Windows though as its the underdog and something different from the rest of the crowd.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered one from the MS Store at the reduced price. Been getting by and alternating between a 930 and 650, both of which are nice phones but are missing things I like or need. Hoping to finally have one phone with Glance screen, good camera, Qi charging, NFC & Wallet, good weight and size but where I don't have to compromise between the good features the 930 has or those in the 650 which lacks in other respects. And my ancient 635 will just be for music in the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital